Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 23:24   #3391
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Classic Cars available for purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I am again dissecting the authenticity of claims made by some advertisements on display in the Vintage and Classics category on our very own teambhp.The twists and coloured text in the advertisements may after all tempt some gullible buyers to fall in the seller's trap.
I feel prospective buyers need to be given a clearer picture of the product on sale by the sellers.Posting untrue facts needs to be discouraged.
Another major factor not clear is about the spares availability for these imported diesel engines and gearboxes of all makes from A - Z fitted to the jeeps. It is not so easy to keep these engines go on and on without hiccups and requirement of spares. I hope each potential buyer becomes aware of the future needs and the problems he or she may face with such mechanicals.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st June 2012 at 23:25.
Old 22nd June 2012, 07:45   #3392
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am again dissecting the authenticity of claims made by some advertisements on display in the Vintage and Classics category on our very own teambhp.The twists and coloured text in the advertisements may after all tempt some gullible buyers to fall in the seller's trap.

I feel prospective buyers need to be given a clearer picture of the product on sale by the sellers.Posting untrue facts needs to be discouraged.
I am in full agreement. Maybe they should a new category "Modded/Rodded " Cars.

Mods must ensure that modified vehicles are not passed off as original cars. Let them be listed, but the description must be correct. Mods must check the description of all these listings.

Thanks Dr. Anjan for bring up this issue

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:20   #3393
Senior - BHPian

austin 8 for sale

AUSTIN 8 FOR SALE - Palakkad - Cars
if i am not mistaken the same austin was mentioned in TBHP a few months ago and on that occassion the location was south Kerala, the asking price has more than doubled when the car has moved up to North kerala
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:19   #3394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I am in full agreement. Maybe they should a new category "Modded/Rodded " Cars.

Mods must ensure that modified vehicles are not passed off ...... Cheers KPS
Sorry, but I am not quite in agreement here. tbhp gives a platform to advertisers, but cannot in any way take responsibility to police the contents. And they should not, unless some content is irrelevant, rude or personal. It is understood that when some item is advertised in any media, it is the responsibility of the purchaser to satisfy himself about the genuiness of the article.
Lets have a fictional eaxample. Suppose a complete novice wants to buy a Ford Jeep and the advertiser has clearly mentioned "fitted with a powerful diesel engine". The novice may not know that these Jeeps never had diesel engines, and the seller was honest in his description. He could have mentioned "Petrol engine replaced with a diesel engine", but why should he?
Many of us were novices when we started, and we found ways to learn our stuff, and have also made some mistakes for which we have paid. A novice can never blame tbhp for advertisements with are not entirely truthful or don't reveal all facts. He has to find the facts himself, or take some help.
Just my humble opinion which I brought out so that novices are not under the impression that all ads have been vetted by the hosting site.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 22nd June 2012 at 12:23.
harit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:32   #3395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sorry, but I am not quite in agreement here. tbhp gives a platform to advertisers, but cannot in any way take responsibility to police the contents. And they should not, unless some content is irrelevant, rude or personal. It is understood that when some item is advertised in any media, it is the responsibility of the purchaser to satisfy himself about the genuiness of the article.
Lets have a fictional eaxample. Suppose a complete novice wants to buy a Ford Jeep and the advertiser has clearly mentioned "fitted with a powerful diesel engine". The novice may not know that these Jeeps never had diesel engines, and the seller was honest in his description. He could have mentioned "Petrol engine replaced with a diesel engine", but why should he?
Many of us were novices when we started, and we found ways to learn our stuff, and have also made some mistakes for which we have paid. A novice can never blame tbhp for advertisements with are not entirely truthful or don't reveal all facts. He has to find the facts himself, or take some help.
Just my humble opinion which I brought out so that novices are not under the impression that all ads have been vetted by the hosting site.

Cheers harit
i agree with harit bhai, it is up to the purchaser to ask the right questions and satisfy himself, because even the definition of vintage and classic is debatable and blurred as far as advertising a car is concerned.
for example,some cars i consider absolute trash even when they were new are cherished and "restored" as "classics"by some members of this forum.

Last edited by awini : 22nd June 2012 at 14:34.
awini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 16:42   #3396
Senior - BHPian

Its called "Caveat Emptor"or buyer beware. I agree with Harit. Its not the lookout of TBHP and one cant blame anyone but oneself if one falls in a trap like this where it is written all over that its a trap. Many a Vintage car has been advertised as Original Vintage etc etc and with diesel engines etc. one should do ones own due diligence and then purchase.
Best is, if you dont know, ask someone who does!!
V-16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 17:31   #3397
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers harit
I would have to agree to this logic. Guess I should seeing these advts.

Cheers

KPS
Old 22nd June 2012, 20:18   #3398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would have to agree to this logic. Guess I should seeing these advts.

Cheers

KPS
Not at all .On the contrary you can really when you see such ads.
Laughter after all is good for health,is it not?
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:58   #3399
Distinguished - BHPian

My posts #'s 3389 and 3391 have tried and succeeded in making the V & C section somewhat active. All the veterans have offered their views and comments. Every point expressed is well taken and these present the two real sides of the coin.

It is true that all the contents in any advertisement are posted by the advertiser and any fact or figure expressed therein, be it true or false or coloured is his or her sole prerogative and the onus for eventualities of any kind that occur as a result, are and will have to be the advertiser's.

The best that we can do is to put a word of caution in our Classifieds Section for viewers and potential buyers to verify the facts and figures as stated by the advertiser in every advertisement. Also, it can be made clear that "No responsibility of any kind shall vest with the teambhp for any of the claims of facts or figures or pictures as posted by the advertiser." Of course, these are known facts and even without these cautionary notes we do not lose anything. But teambhp is a forum with no bias or tilt towards anyone and everyone looks up to us balanced information for anything related to the automobile.

In fact, we are looked upon by all our members and forum surfers/ viewers as one of true-blue automobile lovers and genuine enthusiasts. The average buyer will hence expect unblemished authenticity and even transparency in teambhp classifieds as compared to those in the print, electronic media and in other automobile websites too!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 22nd June 2012 at 23:11.
Old 23rd June 2012, 16:53   #3400
Senior - BHPian

I think Anjan is right in a way. I had mentioned earlier when this section was started that there would be people who would take advantage of the classifieds section and post cars which do not actually go right with the description, therefore words like Vintage, Classic, Original should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think there is already a disclaimer to the effect that the forum does not subscribe/authenticate in any way, to the descriptions mentioned and that due diligence from the buyer is required. May be not in these words but thats the gist. In fact im of the opinion that outsiders, that is non members should not be allowed to post in the classifieds at all.
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:04   #3401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but I am not quite in agreement here....
Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
i agree with harit bhai.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
...... I agree with Harit.....
Quote:
I would have to agree to this logic....Cheers KPS
Quote:
My posts #'s 3389 and 3391 have tried and succeeded in making the V & C section somewhat active. All the veterans have offered their views and comments. Every point expressed is well taken and these present the two real sides of the coin.......
I just could not resist quoting as above.
I did NOT DIS-agree with Anjan, what I was not in agreement with was that mods should check ads for correctness.
Folks, do keep on posting ads, some folks will read and comment, have fun and ridicule if ad is creative, potential buyers can see our comments if any are posted.
Therefore, sellers please be honest, many are watching.
Potential buyers, if you lack knowledge or experience, do take help and ask around. This also applies to spares availability.
Buyers, if you like something, go ahead. We have all made mistakes too!

Lastly, Anjan, please post your news cutting in the d-section in the media thread.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 23rd June 2012 at 18:06.
Old 24th June 2012, 11:33   #3402
Senior - BHPian

a mark 1 ambassador for sale
ohv ambassador 1961 for sale - Palakkad - Cars
Old 24th June 2012, 16:16   #3403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
The asking price for this car has gone higher from what he was asking for in April.
He has a mark 2 as well for sale.
Old 24th June 2012, 18:53   #3404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor View Post
The asking price for this car has gone higher from what he was asking for in April.
He has a mark 2 as well for sale.
obviously being a dealer he is likely to do that
Old 26th June 2012, 15:53   #3405
BHPian

A land master for sale.

vintage car 1957 model - Hyderabad: Cars in Hyderabad at Quikr Hyderabad

Anybody has seen it or has any details about this car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks