Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2010, 17:10   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Perak, just the statement i was wanting to make but knew not how to. Re the recessed/sunken lights, there are guys who specialize in making these sort of changes to a modern jeep, lowering the bonnet etc, to give it the 40's MB/GPW look, of course to the trained eye that is made out in a glance. Well its not available at 75k, that was Pavan's thought that if it were available. Im sure the guy will want an arm and a leg for it. Then to restore these things back to normalcy, its not so easy, sourcing lights, fittings, steering, meters, etc etc, it will cost a lot of money. I would not touch it even for 75k but then thats only me.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:54   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Guys there is a standard Herald and i presume it is for sale as it is standing with a dealer in Bombay. Shall get the details and the pictures when i go there next.
Is it this car by any chance?

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_1955.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_1953.jpg

I was told this car is with a dealer in Bombay, but deteriorated like anything! It's lying by the roadside and covered all over in crow sh*t and rusting all over! And for sale at a ridiculous price to boot!

And speaking of Standards, here is a Herald (no pics.) and a mk1 Gazel advertised for sale, both at steep prices:

http://www.clickindia.com/detail.php?id=3740223

http://www.clickindia.com/detail.php?id=4756024

Last edited by Stanher : 27th April 2010 at 16:57.
Old 27th April 2010, 18:56   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks Perak, just the statement i was wanting to make but knew not how to. Re the recessed/sunken lights, there are guys who specialize in making these sort of changes to a modern jeep, lowering the bonnet etc, to give it the 40's MB/GPW look, of course to the trained eye that is made out in a glance. Well its not available at 75k, that was Pavan's thought that if it were available. Im sure the guy will want an arm and a leg for it. Then to restore these things back to normalcy, its not so easy, sourcing lights, fittings, steering, meters, etc etc, it will cost a lot of money. I would not touch it even for 75k but then thats only me.
You are right V-16, as a fan of the original GPW/MB and possessing one of the very original '42 "Script" GPWs (see "My Garage"), I certainly concur that most jeeps which are passed off as originals are clones done up by a competant body tinker and sold for a bomb ! Most times they are better off as clones , as bringing them back to originality is a very expensive proposition both by way of money and time, provided one is able to source the parts from abroad as we hardly get anything here anymore.
The saddest part is that, even in Vintage shows, the jeeps,however orginal and best restored they may be, dont end up winning prizes as
only the proud owner seems to know its value !
Old 27th April 2010, 20:01   #2164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I mk1 Gazel advertised for sale, both at steep prices:
Standard Gazel 1974 Model For Sale, pune, India 3740223
Thats a Nagpur 1974 registration. But Is it worth Rs 1 L ? Never in my lexicon.
Old 27th April 2010, 20:13   #2165
Senior - BHPian

stanhr this is just the beginning of the madness I have highlighted here and else where. Dealers are ruining the market and playing with some dumb investors black money giving tall claims on getting good returns on investing in the car without any pressure to sell and care for the money gone trust me 99% of the imports and vintage/classics are being moved in the market in this fashion with no care for the car I keep seeing this in front of my eyes everyday. This will last another year or so before things run out of steam (2007/08 bubble lag effect This happened last between 1994 to 1997 when last property bubble burst by 1998/99 no one seem to care about these cars and were being put on sale everywhere bentley/rollers some rare ..etc HAD NO takers. I am not saying things will go that bad but market will correct watch this space
Old 27th April 2010, 20:37   #2166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
stanhr this is just the beginning of the madness I have highlighted here and else where. Dealers are ruining the market and playing with some dumb investors black money giving tall claims on getting good returns on investing in the car without any pressure to sell and care for the money gone trust me 99% of the imports and vintage/classics are being moved in the market in this fashion with no care for the car I keep seeing this in front of my eyes everyday. This will last another year or so before things run out of steam (2007/08 bubble lag effect This happened last between 1994 to 1997 when last property bubble burst by 1998/99 no one seem to care about these cars and were being put on sale everywhere bentley/rollers some rare ..etc HAD NO takers. I am not saying things will go that bad but market will correct watch this space

but i am sorry to say that even if and when such a good thing happens, many people will not be ready to accept it.
Old 27th April 2010, 21:30   #2167
BHPian

Can we hold discussions on classic cars in the classifieds section ?

If there's no ethical harm , i would like to inquire about one particular car and seek your help as what would be a reasonable or more than reasonable price.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:16   #2168
BHPian

Okay Guys,

I cam across a good condition 1983 260 SE (W126) for sale in Bangalore. I have seen the pics and it looks swell. Its a LHD and auto trans. I think asking price is around 3.7. I was not keen on LHD so let it pass but looks very well maintained! Anyone keen?
Old 28th April 2010, 11:28   #2169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
Okay Guys,

I cam across a good condition 1983 260 SE (W126) for sale in Bangalore. I have seen the pics and it looks swell. Its a LHD and auto trans. I think asking price is around 3.7. I was not keen on LHD so let it pass but looks very well maintained! Anyone keen?
Is this the one located on Museum Road ? It was well maintained and used only on sundays
Old 28th April 2010, 11:43   #2170
BHPian

No idea I have not gone to see it after the photos revealed it was LHD if anyone is interested can contact the owner Mike - michael.beatty1984@gmail.com

It sure looks good in the pics..if only it was RHD
Old 28th April 2010, 15:41   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Can we hold discussions on classic cars in the classifieds section ?

If there's no ethical harm , i would like to inquire about one particular car and seek your help as what would be a reasonable or more than reasonable price.
Hmmm ...No answers till now , so I guess we don't discuss bout cars in the classifieds then.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:04   #2172
BHPian

Hi Absynthguzzler,

I think if you pm some experts rather than an open debate on a brother would solve everything!
Old 28th April 2010, 16:05   #2173
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Hmmm ...No answers till now , so I guess we don't discuss bout cars in the classifieds then.
You can here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...valuation.html
Old 29th April 2010, 12:26   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Is it this car by any chance?

I was told this car is with a dealer in Bombay, but deteriorated like anything! It's lying by the roadside and covered all over in crow sh*t and rusting all over! And for sale at a ridiculous price to boot!

And speaking of Standards, here is a Herald (no pics.) and a mk1 Gazel advertised for sale, both at steep prices:
I did not see the registration number of the car, but it is not in this colour. It is in a dark blue or purplish body with the white top.
Old 29th April 2010, 19:04   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I did not see the registration number of the car, but it is not in this colour. It is in a dark blue or purplish body with the white top.
Aah, has to be this one in that case:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1389854-post888.html

I should be right this time!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks