FIAT ELEGANT - Kochi - Cars
it seems like the prices of old fiats are back to reasonable levels
Old 7th December 2009, 03:58   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
FIAT ELEGANT - Kochi - Cars
it seems like the prices of old fiats are back to reasonable levels

This seller doesnt seem to reply to emails so i dont know if the fiat is still around for sale

Old 9th December 2009, 16:49   #1878
BHPian

I picked up the November copy of Auto India for the first time and was very impressed with the coverage on Vintage, Classic & Custom Cars.

Nice article on a 1947 Invicta Black Prince, a Collection in Jodhpur, a wild custom bike and car combo, and an RM Auction of Custom Cars in the U.S.

Also at the back, "Auto Deals", I saw two cars of Gautam Mukherjee of Calcutta, that were for sale. I just spoke to him and he has two Austin 7s and two Rovers for sale from his collection as he has found some more cars to do up and is short of space. He is one of the finest Collector/Restorers that I have met in Calcutta.

The following photos of two of them I took at the Tolly Car Show.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-img_4331.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_4332.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_4334.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_4322.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_4321.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 11th December 2009 at 09:57. Reason: No phone numbers please.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:19   #1879
BHPian

Bug fiat available

eBay India: FIAT TOPOLINO 1951 (BUG FIAT) (item 320449755314 end time 16-Dec-2009 14:47:22 IST)

cheers
Old 14th December 2009, 11:28   #1880
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Lights and seats are not original. There are plenty of these with herald engines in them - price too high for condition
Old 14th December 2009, 11:42   #1881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Lights and seats are not original. There are plenty of these with herald engines in them - price too high for condition
And the meters, and the "folding roof", did you notice the 1954 Dodge sedan in the background? And some special which they seem to be building. Finish appears poor, maybe only the photos are bad.

Cheers harit
Old 14th December 2009, 13:52   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And the meters, and the "folding roof", did you notice the 1954 Dodge sedan in the background? And some special which they seem to be building. Finish appears poor, maybe only the photos are bad.
I'd seen the same car with a mechanic in the "old city", who happens to have a few vintage cars lying at his place most of the time. Someone else had posted pics. of a white Hindusthan 14 that's also his.

I'd first been there with a friend who'd taken me there in his Herald (seen in the background in one of these pics.), around 3 years ago.

Classic Cars available for purchase-1292125585_7f2d88187a_o.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-1292989442_909b35e9dc_o.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-1292125217_e21221033e_o.jpg

The engine seems to be original in this one. 'wonder what happened to the front windscreen though. And strangely it still doesn't have a number!

It sure does have a lot of non-original fittings, but can be restored to full originality IMHO. But the price plays a big barrier here!
Old 14th December 2009, 14:23   #1883
BHPian

Red Bug Fiat

Yes Stanher, you are right I had also seen this Fiat with the old mechanic in Hyd few years back, it was offered then around Rs.80000/=.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:48   #1884
BHPian

'60 Mercedes LHD 220b(fintail)

Guys,
I've come across a mercedes 220 fintail that's up for sale at Satna,MP..
What should be a good price for this car??
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-1103_1_640x480.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-1103_3_640x480.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-1103_5_640x480.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-1103_2_640x480.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-image11.jpg  

Old 14th December 2009, 14:58   #1885
BHPian

Re:Mercedes 220

The person owning the car was reluctant to allow me to click some pix.Finally managed it today.Also the car is claimed to be in running condition and its a column shift manual as claimed by the owner.Lifetime tax paid.Going by the engine bay is it the original MB petrol 6cyl engine?assuming it is, does the car seem restorable?

@Harit sir:Here are the pics to assist you in making a fair estimate
Old 14th December 2009, 16:04   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hey, sorry as it's , but can anyone please let me know about the engine bay in this photo. How come Radiator is towards the cabin, not facing outside?
Old 14th December 2009, 18:16   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
The person owning the car was reluctant to allow me to click some pix.Finally managed it today.Also the car is claimed to be in running condition and its a column shift manual as claimed by the owner.Lifetime tax paid.Going by the engine bay is it the original MB petrol 6cyl engine?assuming it is, does the car seem restorable?

@Harit sir:Here are the pics to assist you in making a fair estimate
It is a MB engine and even the a/c compressor is an original York, the cooling coil and blower unit do-not look like a factory fitment unit. The head lights look like the American model. In my opinion the car is definitely restorable.
Old 14th December 2009, 19:18   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Hey, sorry as it's , but can anyone please let me know about the engine bay in this photo. How come Radiator is towards the cabin, not facing outside?
That's the original design, basically an idea of the mechanical designer, Dante Giacosa.

'not able to recollect out why it was done though, even though I did read about it once. The engine, with it's aluminium head, was said to be known for constant overheating and head replacements though.
Old 14th December 2009, 20:27   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's the original design, basically an idea of the mechanical designer, Dante Giacosa.

'not able to recollect out why it was done though, even though I did read about it once. The engine, with it's aluminium head, was said to be known for constant overheating and head replacements though.
Stanher,

I think the answer is there in the photo itself and the over heating aluminium head. Overheating was not a very big issue in Europe/Italy. The "Bug Fiats" were really popular with the younger crowd.

Look at the size of the Radiator. Probably that sized one was required to keep the head reasonably cool.

So given the slant of bonnet (for keeping the asthetics and also the resemblence to their direct competetor the "Beetle"), the big radiator can not be accommodated in front. If I recall rightly there were some form of ducting to get air from the grill area to the radiator.

That is my theory about it! The great DG may disagree with me totally.

I also recall seeng in a "Bug" in one of the European classic shows, where there was a ventilation arrangement in the fire-wall behind the radiator which could let in hot air in to the cabin. I suppose that was quiet clever for the freezing winters of Europe, without the additional strain to use a A/C Heater

Best Regards & Ride/Drive Safe

Ram
Old 14th December 2009, 21:37   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

All the old Fiat 500's starting from the original 'Topolino' had the radiator mounted this way. Let me look up DG's book and find out why.
An interesting bit: the final version of this bug fiat, the 500C was the first Fiat to have a "heater". Dante Giacosa designed an an unusual system whereby two pipes brought warm air from the radiator which was just behind the dashboard !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks