Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 02:28   #1786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
LHD for regular highway use is still way more tedious as there are more cars/pedestrians/cattle/tractors etc today on the highway than before. To add to it everyone is behaving in a random fashion (read crazy). Any of you actually toured (meaning driven a 1000km plus) in a LHD in the last 5 years?
i have driven my lhd 1966 VW Karmann-ghia from Delhi to shimla twice, once to Neemrana, and twice to Jaipur in the last few years, apart from sundry other shorter trips, with no real problems. in fact its easier to overtake because nobody expects a 40 year old car to approach them from behind at a 100 kmph, and they usually give way out of curiosity.
Old 9th October 2009, 23:31   #1787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Thats the perfect mantra, well said.

I've seen and heard of many such stories and even experienced it myself at some point, Feels when you loose a good car.

That Austin looks good, but somehow the color scheme and the fittings dont look period, someone can correct me if i am wrong.

But to say, 2.5 L is it a decent price????????.
I dont think so specially for an Austin and that too in that particular color combono way
Old 11th October 2009, 10:11   #1788
Senior - BHPian

17 EX for Sale

Guys.

Now here is a change for those who speak of India's heritage being lost to put their money where their mouths usually are.

Maharaja Hari Singh's RR Phantom, the legendary 17 EX, is on the market looking for a new home. As you would be aware this is one of four experimental, hense EX, phantoms built by RR. This particular car was the last of the setsold in 1928 after 4,500 miles of extensive testing.

All four had distinctly diffrent coachworks by different companies. This is by Jarvis of Wimbledon in their distinct "Tropedo" style.

On sale in the UK on Oct 28 from RM Auctions in their third "Automobiles of London" along with sothbeys at Battersea Park London. It is vey conservatively priced at around 500,000 to 800,000 Pounds Sterling

Now I am sure there will be some amongst us who will feel teh owners are again asking for an unreasonable price. Here is a chance to get in touch with the auctioneers on this and see where it goes. Myabe they will reprice it if we can convince them its not worth what they are asking

A brief description of this car as provided by them is as below.

Chassis: 17EX

Chassis 17EX was one of four experimental Phantom Is built by Rolls-Royce in the 1920s. The others were 10EX, 15EX and 16EX. All four were clothed by different coach-builders so each was distinctly different. 17EX was delivered to Jarvis of Wimbledon where it was fitted with the very elegant 'Torpedo' body it still sports today. The Rolls-Royce test-team racked up over 4500 miles before selling the car in the fall of 1928.

The fortunate owner of the unique Rolls-Royce Phantom I was the Indian Maharaja Hari Singh Bahadur, whose family owned over two dozen Rolls-Royces. The car remained in the area for decades and finally passed into the hands of two Italian enthusiasts in 1976. During the 1990s the car was fully restored in Italy by Gianni Penna. Even before the work was completed, the car was acquired by the current, Dutch owner.

By 2004 the restoration was completed, which conveniently coincided with the Rolls-Royce 100th anniversary celebrations. The Dutch collector brought the car back in Italy for the 2006 Concorso Villa d'Este, where it is pictured above. It was awarded the Trofeo Rolls-Royce for the 'Most Elegant Rolls-Royce'. The owner has now decided to part with his prized possession and he will offer it on October 28th in the RM Auctions Automobiles of London sale. It is estimated to change hands for £500,000-£800,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-rollsroycephantomijarvistorpedo_1.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-rollsroycephantomijarvistorpedo_2.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-rollsroycephantomijarvistorpedo_3.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-rollsroycephantomijarvistorpedo_4.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-rollsroycephantomijarvistorpedo_5.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-rollsroycephantomijarvistorpedo_6.jpg  

Old 11th October 2009, 11:43   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Guys.
Now here is a change for those who speak of India's heritage being lost to put their money where their mouths usually are.

Wasif there are many on the Forum who can put the money to where their mouth is but since the Law does not permit us to import a car that is more than 3 years old we hold back. If the law is changed and we are permitted to import Vintage and classic cars under the legal conditions of import without attracting a penalty that values in at half the invoice amount there would be many more prestine Vintage and classics in India. For now we can only wish the law were changed and Part of our Heritage be brought back to the Country. I myself have seen many cars i would like to bring back but have no choice but to put them on my wish list .
Old 11th October 2009, 12:42   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Wasif there are many on the Forum who can put the money to where their mouth is but since the Law does not permit us to import a car that is more than 3 years old we hold back. If the law is changed and we are permitted to import Vintage and classic cars under the legal conditions of import without attracting a penalty that values in at half the invoice amount there would be many more prestine Vintage and classics in India. For now we can only wish the law were changed and Part of our Heritage be brought back to the Country. I myself have seen many cars i would like to bring back but have no choice but to put them on my wish list .
Well you can keep it at your summer house on the Riviera until then.
Old 11th October 2009, 14:19   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well you can keep it at your summer house on the Riviera until then.
Unfortunately not all of us have one. Damn now go Summer house on the Riviera shopping.
Old 11th October 2009, 23:23   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys.

Hi Wasif,
There is an article in Autocar on this car and the Bangalore Delage. They also have old pics of this car. At one time it was with Protab Roy of Santosh. He had a habbit of picking up delicious cars and then would sell to foreigners when another car was to be bought.

But one point you are slightly off. Who should put money where their mouth is? It is expensive, cannot be brought into India, so you have to store it abroad, and Nehru/Gandhi/Tipu Sultan never sat in it (at least there is no record of that). And it has no name like 'Star of India' (whoever gave that name in the first place for THAT car?) So the government cannot make exceptions. Pathetic, isn't it?

Cheers harit
Old 12th October 2009, 00:28   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Hmm, could it be this car, belonging to Bhpian SP_Kolkata? (Pic taken by me at Auto Expo 2009, held in Salt Lake Stadium grounds). After all, just how many blue, 1937, "immaculate condition" Austin 10s could be in Kolkata?

Attachment 205533

Later, Ayan also spotted the same car

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1487983

Anyway, 2.5 Lakhs sounds a bit steep. I can go down and take photos, only if someone else is really interested.
Quote:
T
That Austin looks good, but somehow the color scheme and the fittings dont look period, someone can correct me if i am wrong.

guys i don't think that car is up for sale, as for now.
Old 12th October 2009, 11:07   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Shooting in the hawa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Hmm, could it be this car, belonging to Bhpian SP_Kolkata? (Pic taken by me at Auto Expo 2009, held in Salt Lake Stadium grounds). After all, just how many blue, 1937, "immaculate condition" Austin 10s could be in Kolkata?
Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Here's some photos of the same car that I took at the Tolly Car Show in Jan. 09. Great Car!
Quote:

Quote:
I dont think so specially for an Austin and that too in that particular color combono way
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
guys i don't think that car is up for sale, as for now.
Guys guys! Before this matter goes completely out of hand, and I find myself at the receiving end of some unnecessary stick, please note that I was only speculating about the ad Austin being the same car. Read the text of my previous post carefully. I've said "could be" and matched some of the characteristics of the ad car with this one.

Anyway, no one's really expressing their genuine interest for this car, so no one's (read ME) going to take photos of the ad car. The discussions about overpricing and whether the car is really up for sale should please be ended right here. Thank You.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:34   #1795
Senior - BHPian

A-Beautiful-Classic-Fiat-Vintage-Car is up for sale @ astronomical price
eBay India: A Beautiful Classic Fiat Vintage Car (item 260489585874 end time 10-Nov-2009 15:11:07 IST)

We can check out the photos and have a good laugh for the goof up and at the same time also appraise the creativity of the sculptor. Pictures for all

Classic Cars available for purchase-fiat-1.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-fiat-2.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-fiat-3.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-fiat-4.jpg

Last edited by manishalive : 12th October 2009 at 17:37.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:50   #1796
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
A-Beautiful-Classic-Fiat-Vintage-Car is up for sale @ astronomical price
eBay India: A Beautiful Classic Fiat Vintage Car (item 260489585874 end time 10-Nov-2009 15:11:07 IST)
A similar monstrosity (or the same!) can be seen here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/714355-post4.html
Old 12th October 2009, 18:06   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Theres one in Bangalore too!!
Old 12th October 2009, 23:11   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A similar monstrosity (or the same!) can be seen here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/714355-post4.html
I too think it's the same vehicle, cause the imperfection's or perfection's are also the same , just period no. put up to create some amount of air.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:16   #1799

Baby Hindustan for sale

I am selling the Baby Hindustan (seen in the pics above) and a Willys 1951 low bonnet. Picasa Web Albums - heber - willys#

Please mail me for details if interested.

The Baby Hindustan 1958 is red newly painted, papers in order, took part in rally recently and runs well.

The Willys 1951 has a diesel engine, RHD, papers in order and runs well.

The vehicles are located in Ooty.

My email id is heberjeyaraj@gmail.com
Old 14th October 2009, 14:09   #1800
Distinguished - BHPian

A Bentley LeMans replica is offered for sale in Delhi here

Buy New Bentley Eight LeMans 8 in New Delhi | CarTradeIndia.com

It may even be an offer to import one of these. Anybody know more about this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks