Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 11:28   #1771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Pardon my ignorance. But how is a 82 VW
Camper a Classic?

PS: Please don't give the analogy of the M800.
These vehicles ( VW Transporters), which were marketed as VANAGONS in the US, had a series of inherent defects even in their hay-days…main ones being the head gasket leak, low mileage and an in-congruent gear system. As a results the maintainability, even those days, was very poor resulting in heavy repair bills and large downtimes and low reliability. The gear system was not in line with the rpm of the engine and therefore max speed attainable was very low, even though enough of torque or power was available . As a result they literally used to crawl…and hence the nickname “Powerful Snails ”

Last edited by Dippy : 7th October 2009 at 14:36. Reason: Do not use external text editors to type your post. Thanks
Old 7th October 2009, 21:13   #1772
BHPian

To prolong the OT discussion on road travel in India, every few months I visit my offices between Delhi and Pune opting to drive down in my own vehicle instead of catching a train or aeroplane. 20 days a month, give or take, I log substantial miles in the sky and could certainly do with less hours spent on travelling. Yet, I absolutely look forward to these road trips. Of course the Golden Quadrilateral on this route is very nice, but even on the rare holidays, my wife and I often prefer driving to and fro our destination, some of them connected by poor roads. Maybe, I got conditioned from an early age when our family would often traverse across cities and countries by road, on vacation in India and abroad. And the accomplice-on-wheels was often a VW Camper.

By the way, there used to be not just Motels but also some sort of drive-and-park campsites in a few Indian cities before. I remember one in Delhi also, near Asaf Ali Road. wonder if it survives, or has now been replaced by a Mall!
Old 8th October 2009, 00:46   #1773
BHPian

You ought to be very brave to drive across Indian cities considering the sate of the roads, no adequate motels and service stations.
Old 8th October 2009, 00:48   #1774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
You ought to be very brave to drive across Indian cities considering the sate of the roads, no adequate motels and service stations.

Well i would say you need a very reliable car on which you can depend upon.
Old 8th October 2009, 10:09   #1775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post

Its not as bad as you make it out to be. I was recently in India and did a loop from Bangaloe via Mysore to Ooty and back in a hired, read beat up, Suzuli Swift Diesel.

Didn't have even one problem but had a whale of a time. Reached the bottom of teh ghat section to Ooty around 6.00 PM in pouring rain, low visibility and wiper blades that needed replacing two years ago. Managed to reach Ooty in 2 hours, boy was that fun. And i don't even want to go over the drive between mysore and Bandipur, there was no road to speak of !!!!
Old 8th October 2009, 11:40   #1776
BHPian

Believe the VW Camper was sold today morning. Apparently purchased by a broker from Delhi who claims to be a VW Enthusiast.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:50   #1777
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Believe the VW Camper was sold today morning. Apparently purchased by a broker from Delhi who claims to be a VW Enthusiast.
And now start seeing prices of a Camper going through the roof. This was bound to happen anyways.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:55   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
These vehicles ( VW Transporters), which were marketed as VANAGONS in the US, had a series of inherent defects even in their hay-days…main ones being the head gasket leak, low mileage and an in-congruent gear system. As a results the maintainability, even those days, was very poor resulting in heavy repair bills and large downtimes and low reliability. The gear system was not in line with the rpm of the engine and therefore max speed attainable was very low, even though enough of torque or power was available . As a result they literally used to crawl…and hence the nickname “Powerful Snails ”
We ithe family have used VW mini buses all thru '70s and '80s And were very happy with them. infact the second one we bought in '80 was with a sunroof ex german consulate. I have myself done Bombay to Bangalore in one day at that time. It had a twin carb 1600cc rear engine. The inherent problem we faced was that in summers we had to put a wet cloth over the fuel pump, and everytime we stooped pour water on it to keep it cool and perfoming. We did subsequently install an electric lucas pump. This was after having replaced the mechanical fuel pump which i had carried back from Germany. This was because the pump was very close to the exhaust and with our ambient in summer going to 45 degrees. Never did our mini buses stall or let us down. Offcourse later in '85 we shifted to the Toyota Hiace van. I remember doing 120 kmph on the highways on long striaghts. Yes and when we were once climbing the Ooty ghat, at the U bends on the short route, all our family members were walking up the bends since the van didnt have enough power to take 8 of us adults up.
Old 8th October 2009, 13:10   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Its not as bad as you make it out to be. I was recently in India and did a loop from Bangaloe via Mysore to Ooty and back in a hired, read beat up, Suzuli Swift Diesel.

Didn't have even one problem but had a whale of a time. Reached the bottom of teh ghat section to Ooty around 6.00 PM in pouring rain, low visibility and wiper blades that needed replacing two years ago. Managed to reach Ooty in 2 hours, boy was that fun. And i don't even want to go over the drive between mysore and Bandipur, there was no road to speak of !!!!

Don't get me wrong guys, i am not trying to be negative, just speaking out of experience
Old 8th October 2009, 14:29   #1780
BHPian

I think we have to start a new thread for Driving in India with classics as this thread is for Classics available......

time to move on.....some calcutta BHpians can get photo ?

Vintage Vintage Austin 10 1937dark Blue, Registration:2009, Sedan , Rs.250000/-, kolkata, India 2389015

regards
Old 8th October 2009, 15:18   #1781
Senior - BHPian

You serious, then me serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
I think we have to start a new thread for Driving in India with classics as this thread is for Classics available......

time to move on.....some calcutta BHpians can get photo ?

Vintage Vintage Austin 10 1937dark Blue, Registration:2009, Sedan , Rs.250000/-, kolkata, India 2389015

regards
Hmm, could it be this car, belonging to Bhpian SP_Kolkata? (Pic taken by me at Auto Expo 2009, held in Salt Lake Stadium grounds). After all, just how many blue, 1937, "immaculate condition" Austin 10s could be in Kolkata?

Classic Cars available for purchase-1937-austin-10-4.jpg

Later, Ayan also spotted the same car

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1487983

Anyway, 2.5 Lakhs sounds a bit steep. I can go down and take photos, only if someone else is really interested.
Old 8th October 2009, 19:32   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Hmm, could it be this car, belonging to Bhpian SP_Kolkata? (Pic taken by me at Auto Expo 2009, held in Salt Lake Stadium grounds). After all, just how many blue, 1937, "immaculate condition" Austin 10s could be in Kolkata?

Attachment 205533

Later, Ayan also spotted the same car

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1487983

Anyway, 2.5 Lakhs sounds a bit steep. I can go down and take photos, only if someone else is really interested.
Here's some photos of the same car that I took at the Tolly Car Show in Jan. 09. Great Car!
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-img_4259.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_4262.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_4260.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_4261_2.jpg  

Old 8th October 2009, 19:49   #1783
Senior - BHPian

The VW camper got sold today, so I was informed by the owner. I was in the fray to buy it but unfortunately someone put the money in before me.
Happens. I wonder if it was a BHPIAN?
Old 8th October 2009, 20:12   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
The VW camper got sold today, so I was informed by the owner. I was in the fray to buy it but unfortunately someone put the money in before me.
Happens. I wonder if it was a BHPIAN?
Sad to hear you missed it. This just shows that it was priced just right and its history now.

Ya snooze ya looze is still true i guess.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:18   #1785
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Ya snooze ya looze is still true i guess.
Thats the perfect mantra, well said.

I've seen and heard of many such stories and even experienced it myself at some point, Feels when you loose a good car.

That Austin looks good, but somehow the color scheme and the fittings dont look period, someone can correct me if i am wrong.

But to say, 2.5 L is it a decent price????????.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks