Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 10:19   #871
Senior - BHPian

Hi Immyshaikh.
Welcome to team Bhp and FCCCI. As the stalwarts have already told you, to be a memner of FCCCI you need a warm heart for a Fiat. That you have, we can see. So welcome aboard buddy.

Your car I remember, from "Waqt", as Karl pointed out. I saw this on a VHS cassette a long, long time ago.
Then I have seen it in Breach Candy in a not so great condition. It had the original wheel caps back then but i thought had an indegenious engine. At least it sounded like a regular Fiat. It was red with white racing stripes.
After a few years I was offered this MG Midget by a gent staying at Babulnath/Walkeshwar. When i went to see that car, your car was parked in his building which he claimed was also his but not for sale. I enquired if it had an original engine and he confirmed that the engine was replaced with an Indian Fiat engine. It was white then and still had the original wheel caps. This may be sometime in the late eighties or early nineties. After that i remember seeing this car in various pl;aces i a very shabby condition. Great to see you are restoring her.
My two bits. Loose the huge Merc rims. They look out of place. Instead go for 118 rims or other mags which give the period look.
Try to maintain as much as originality here. Avoid going in for electric seats.
Your car will look fabulous I can see.
All the best. Please make it for the next FCCCI meet.
Old 5th September 2008, 16:02   #872
BHPian

hey

did some research, its the same car from waqt, and also got confirmation on the other film, i guess the film was shot earlier and released in 68

this car was never black nor had a KA regn.

thanks for the update, its great to know that i now own a well known car

about the wheels and stuff, i have tried to create a decent mixture of old and new mixing eye catching (hence the wheels) good looks with practicality, i guess i got carried away, seeing all those custom programs on TV

cheers
Old 5th September 2008, 20:09   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by immyshaikh View Post
hey

did some research, its the same car from waqt, and also got confirmation on the other film, i guess the film was shot earlier and released in 68

this car was never black nor had a KA regn.

thanks for the update, its great to know that i now own a well known car

about the wheels and stuff, i have tried to create a decent mixture of old and new mixing eye catching (hence the wheels) good looks with practicality, i guess i got carried away, seeing all those custom programs on TV

cheers
thats one pimped up ride immy.
i guess i had seen it near Laminton road once.
enjoy.

Last edited by michael schume : 5th September 2008 at 20:11.
Old 5th September 2008, 20:15   #874
BHPian

If my info is right, this is my car in Buona Sera Mrs Campbell

Found this on IMCDb.org: Home page
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-034.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-00110je3.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-cap001wy9.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-vts01413kz5.jpg  

Old 5th September 2008, 22:01   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by immyshaikh View Post
hey

Wow, thats so awesome! to know that we have a celebrity car among our rides!!
So this was the one driven by Rajkumar or Sunil Dutt when they race each other (the other car being an Austin Healey), right?
I just wish I could get that white '62 Herald with a green stripe, which sharmila tagore drives in the same movie (DLI 2???)

I though waqt was released in '65 though?

Last edited by Stanher : 5th September 2008 at 22:02.
Old 8th September 2008, 00:09   #876

The Monthly Fiat Classic Car Club MEET will take place This sunday, i.e. 14th September. It will be at Five Gardens, DADAR, Mumbai. please be there at 10AM.

Cya,
Cyrus.
Old 8th September 2008, 11:46   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, thats so awesome! to know that we have a celebrity car among our rides!!
So this was the one driven by Rajkumar or Sunil Dutt when they race each other (the other car being an Austin Healey), right?
I just wish I could get that white '62 Herald with a green stripe, which sharmila tagore drives in the same movie (DLI 2???)

I though waqt was released in '65 though?

Thanks Stan, waiting to see all you guys this Sunday
Old 8th September 2008, 12:32   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

The end of road, again!

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-scan0001.jpg

It's rather silly to assume all cabs older than 25 years are in bad shape. I can show you many mid 90s cabs that are atrocious! Besides, every few years the cars are changed with the numbers retained anyways. The correct plan of action should be to have a stricter and better enforced method of inspection and fitness.

Does this cab look unworthy to run? She dates to 1962, and is probably in better shape than my car of the same vintage! I do hope sense prevails and this fellow is retained, even if as a static display. Bombay boys, lets go down to the Taxi Union and make a plea.

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-01.jpg
Old 8th September 2008, 12:54   #879
BHPian

In many countries,old public vehicles are phased out because of emission regulations. That has nothing to do either with the mechanical condition or appearance.
Old 8th September 2008, 12:59   #880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
In many countries,old public vehicles are phased out because of emission regulations. That has nothing to do either with the mechanical condition or appearance.
Well Im certainly not suggesting all the cabs be retained, just a few of them for posterity. It is very much a part of Bombay culture.
Old 8th September 2008, 15:51   #881
BHPian

they will act as a tourist attraction too

Mumbai without black and yellows would be wierd
Old 8th September 2008, 16:01   #882

forget tourist attractions. Can you imagine the number of people who depend on these cars?? And i am not talking about the cab drivers, i am talking about the garage owners, spare part makers, Fiat lovers.....Can you imagine how baddy there will be a shortage of spares if these 1100/presidents/padminis will get phased out??
Old 8th September 2008, 18:04   #883
BHPian

Yes,there I agree. Some good ones ; fitted with a cleaner engine may be.
Old 9th September 2008, 11:00   #884
Team-BHP Support

I hate Mumbai taxiwallas. They drive and park poorly and cause traffic jams and accidents. But, I can't help thinking of the number of people who'll be unemployed if these vehicles are scrapped. Not everyone can afford new cars.
Old 9th September 2008, 11:08   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well Im certainly not suggesting all the cabs be retained, just a few of them for posterity. It is very much a part of Bombay culture.
with Karl, Taxi and local train is Mumbai's SHAAN......

We use to say that one have to travel in local train once in a life time....its great experience.

I cannot imagine Mumbai without these yellow cabs and Auto's. May be some cabs must be exempted......

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks