Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2013, 12:55   #4246
BHPian

Re: Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Well, these cars will have to be scrapped, they will not be transplanted with their problems to "II-Tier" cities. I know because I tried to save one for a t-bhpian but it was impossible. These clever authorities do not issue a new permit for a Santro or Maruti or whatever unless there is evidence that the car's registration has been cancelled. Once cancelled, there is no provision to re-issue a number against a cancelled registration. You can buy a car and preserve it. Or you buy a privately registered car, paint the taxi colours, but don't drive around like that, its illegal.
I have learnt to accept that there are folks who cherish these cars, love them, have meets, but please remember that those Fiats/Premiers are privately owned and maintained vehicles mostly in good condition. Todays Fiat/Premier taxi's are mostly chewed out junks using recycled parts, unsafe (just see how doors don't close anymore), and slow down traffic when they climb any incline, hills, fly-overs etc.
Did anyone mourn the demise of the Baby-taxi's, Morris Minor, Austin, Hillman when they went out of circulation?
On the positive side, lots of spares will become available, maybe even a bit economical, so grab what you can when the slaughter begins. Save the parts.
This is my opinion with no intention to hurt anyone. I do appreciate well maintained Fiats.

Cheers harit
Thanks harit, that t-bhpian was me. The car belonged to my dad and served the city for 42 years. I wanted to gift a similar fiat on his 80th birthday but could not locate one. My dad passed away last year.

I did take some pictures of the car before it was scrapped and it is in my garage. According to dad, it was bought for Rs.18000 and scrapped for Rs.13000 after 42 years. There is a fixed rate for scrapping taxis which was 12000 five years ago. My dad got an extra thousand bucks because it was owned by a bawaji. I remember my dad crying on the day, she was driven away the last time.
abdriver2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 15:40   #4247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Or will they appear in scrapyards - to be taken away to tier-II and tier-II cities where they still have a chance to run?
Very unlikely - simply because taxis run only in larger cities. Even a city like Pune doesn't run taxis within the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Did anyone mourn the demise of the Baby-taxi's, Morris Minor, Austin, Hillman when they went out of circulation?
I guess not, but do keep in mind they didn't ply for as many decades as the Fiats did. Lets see how the Santros fare. By and large they seem to be serving well, and everyone is happy. Santro and Alto spares and servicing is now ridiculously cheap as a consequence btw

I think all of us Fiat lovers will agree that the cabs running were in TERRIBLE shape, and downright dangerous. It was an inevitability, just a matter of time. It is no surprise at all. What I would have loved was that if only 50 odd had been preserved, restored/maintained, and run as special tourist cabs in Bombay. Atleast for a few years more. 50 out of 50,000 is just a drop in the ocean.

I had decided to buy one as soon as the order was passed, but with so much on my plate, another white elephant (well, black and yellow) is too much of a liability not being road legal. Anyone else keen on doing the noble task?

I'm going to try and take a Fiat cab home from work today... One for the road.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2013, 22:35   #4248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
What I would have loved was that if only 50 odd had been preserved, restored/maintained, and run as special tourist cabs in Bombay. Atleast for a few years more. 50 out of 50,000 is just a drop in the ocean.

I had decided to buy one as soon as the order was passed, but with so much on my plate, another white elephant (well, black and yellow) is too much of a liability not being road legal. Anyone else keen on doing the noble task?

I'm going to try and take a Fiat cab home from work today... One for the road.
Is there anything at all that we can do to have about 50 odd Padmini cabs running as heritage taxies?

Secondly, will Padmini cabs less than 20 years old still run for a few years more??
Old 18th June 2013, 10:02   #4249
BHPian

hey,
I was wondering, how do i become a member of the fiat classic car club in Mumbai?
Old 18th June 2013, 10:11   #4250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
hey, I was wondering, how do i become a member of the fiat classic car club in Mumbai?
Dear Shom - hello after a long time. No problem at all, I'll tell you when we are meeting next, just come over, that's all!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 10:15   #4251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shom - hello after a long time. No problem at all, I'll tell you when we are meeting next, just come over, that's all!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hello Mr. behram!
I sent you a text the other day but im not sure if you got it, i am back, finally. I was hoping to talk to you, when would be a good time to call you?
thank you!
Old 19th June 2013, 14:54   #4252
Distinguished - BHPian

This piece appeared in the Divya Bhaskar Mumbai edition yesterday - speaking about the taxi union's demand for a memorial for the Fiat Taxi. I think it is a fantastic idea.

Can our Gujarati reading members translate for us?

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-903d0507fb163cc98b50da5da94ef807.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 15:38   #4253
Senior - BHPian

The best memorial would be if they pick about half a dozen of the best examples from all the Taxis to be scrapped and then restore them to the "T" as should be and use them as special tourist information/ tourist police patrol vehicles. Just as you see them in the centre of historic Prague. But then that needs imagination and our powers that be lack it.
Old 19th June 2013, 18:38   #4254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This piece appeared in the Divya Bhaskar Mumbai edition yesterday - speaking about the taxi union's demand for a memorial for the Fiat Taxi. I think it is a fantastic idea.

Can our Gujarati reading members translate for us?

Attachment 1099109
Good idea. Thanks for Sharing it and here is the translation:

Since "Black-yellow" fiat taxi is going to be phased out of service from 1st August, Union has demanded to have memorials a remembrance. Government is also seriously considering this proposal. As first Taxi union was established near Mumbai Central Station, Government is considering that and Flora Fountain two places to have memorials. Due to Government orders, almost 10000 taxis will be retired from their more than 25 years of services from August 1st. Since these taxis have given special identity to Mumbai city, union wants to have a memorial as a remembrance.

Thanks,
Pradip.
pradipk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 21:21   #4255
BHPian

What about this year's FCCCI monsoon drive?
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:57   #4256
BHPian

FCCCI - Mumbai 2013 Monsoon Drive to Pawana

Confirming FCCCI-Mumbai Monsoon Drive for Sunday July 7th, 2013 to our all time exotic location Pawana, which is beyond Lonavla, a detour to be taken approximately 10 Kms after Lonavla, to the right, off the old Mumbai Pune highway.
Tried to plan for other locations but not conducive and hence this time will be a third for Pawana, as Lonavla and neighbourhood is overcrowded during the monsoons.

Lets meet at Bandra East, on the stretch between Bandra Kurla signal and Dharavi by 0900 am and leave once everyone gathers.
We can take a hault to freshen up at the Food Court below the ghat and proceed for Lunch thereafter, at the Pawana Restaurant, as usual.

Family and friends are welcome to join and have a blast with the 5 F's as usual. Come one, come all and lets make it a safe and enjoyable drive.

confirm participations hereunder and also do mention tentative if so:-

1. Cyrus & family
2. Rony & family
Old 2nd July 2013, 18:40   #4257
BHPian

Re: FCCCI - Mumbai 2013 Monsoon Drive to Pawana

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Lets meet at Bandra East, on the stretch between Bandra Kurla signal and Dharavi by 0900 am and leave once everyone gathers.
Why 9 am ? That might put us behind schedule considering its Weekend+Rains+Too many people going to Lonavla. 8 am will be better. Just my suggestion

Participants :

1. Cyrus & family
2. Rony & family
3. Me and Hrishikesh in Ravi's car.
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:20   #4258
Senior - BHPian

Super! I'm certainly in. Looking forward to have a blast on the highway, and some yum yum food!

I shall get my 'Great White' aka 'Highway ripper' aka 'Snow leopard' aka the Ess-Eks-Four
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:44   #4259
BHPian

I am In with my white rocket!

Jatin+1

writing on behalf of our fellow FCCCI member Rutwij he would be also coming in his car
Rutwij +3
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:34   #4260
Senior - BHPian

Guys if I am back from Aurangabad will definately join you. I dont have a snow leopard though maybe in a grey wolf

Most Viewed