Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2019, 09:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Vintage cars to have special (VA) series number plates, exempted from a few regulations

The proposed regulation specifies that these won’t be allowed on roads for regular use and for any commercial purposes. These would be used only for display in any exhibition, rally, show or museum. These can also be used for technical research, cinematography, historical, heritage tours and in ceremonies. Moreover, these will be allowed to ply only for fuel filling purpose or for taking them to mechanics for maintenance.
Quote:
NEW DELHI: Soon all vintage vehicles will get a special series of registration number with two letters (VA) common across the country. While this will help in quick identification of these over 50-year-old vehicles, the new series will also bring relief to owners from harassment by enforcement authorities.

VA will stand for vintage and these letters will come after the state code. For example, a vintage vehicle in Delhi would get registration number as DLVA1234 and another from Maharashtra would get MHVA1234. These vehicles will need to put high security number plates both in the front and at the rear.

This is for the first time the road transport ministry has come out with a draft norm for regulation of vintage vehicles, which include laying a procedure to approve or reject the application of a vehicle to get the vintage tag.

Vintage vehicles are exempted from compliance of some of the regulatory norms with regard to their construction, maintenance and emission norms. As per the proposed norm, government won't notify the age to retire these vehicles.

According to the draft regulation, every state will have a Vintage Motor Vehicles State Committee (VMVSC), which will decide about the approval or rejection of all applications. It says any vehicle to qualify for this tag must be maintained in original form and should not have undergone any substantial overhaul. The applicants will have to submit a copy of the first registration of the vehicle, records of transfer of ownership and change of address. The registration of the vehicle will be valid for 10 years and shall be renewed. The owners would need to pay Rs 20,000 to the state transport authorities (STA) at the time of registration.

“Upon grant of registration under the Vintage Motor Vehicles, the old registration certificate, if any, shall be cancelled. But the owner may retain such cancelled original registration certificate for historical purposes only,” the draft regulation says. Sale and purchase will be permissible provided the buyer/seller keep the STA informed. Both buyer and the seller will be responsible to submit these updates.
Source: ET Auto
wheelguy is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 17:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vintage cars to have special (VA) series number plates, exempted from a few regulations

Thread moved to the Classic Car Section. Thanks for sharing!

Vintage beauties definitely deserve special recognition, so to that. However:

Quote:
However, the proposed regulation specifies that these won’t be allowed on roads for regular use and for any commercial purposes. These would be used only for display in any exhibition, rally, show or museum. These can also be used for technical research, cinematography, historical, heritage tours and in ceremonies. Moreover, these will be allowed to ply only for fuel filling purpose or for taking them to mechanics for maintenance.
"Regular use" is irrelevant as no one really drives a vintage car on a daily basis (maybe just 1% of enthusiastic owners do). And if a cop were to pull me over, I could always say I'm taking her to the garage or to fill up petrol.

Lastly, the government should recognise that cars are built to run. If they stand in one place, they will collapse. Any car needs a good workout a minimum of once / week.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 18:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Vintage cars to have special (VA) series number plates, exempted from a few regulations

It is good to see vintage cars getting the recognition and special legislation they deserve. However, to GTO’s point, cars do need to be driven.

I know several individuals and parties have been working hard to get this in place over the last couple of years.

Just referencing to the FIVA ( https://fiva.org/en/ ), which is sort of an international body for Classic and Vintage vehicles the world over. They promote and help local members support and lobby their respective legislators.

The FIVA has always maintained that a classic or vintage vehicle needs to meet certain criteria. Amongst them age (over 30 years), originality (no major and or obvious modifications), strictly for hobby use / not used a daily/regular drive. These vehicles are considered part of a nations mobility heritage.

Keeping them road worthy and keeping them (in a limited way) on the road is imperative. For the vehicle themselves, but also to bring them out there so the public at large can see and enjoy them.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 20:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
VA will stand for vintage and these letters will come after the state code. For example, a vintage vehicle in Delhi would get registration number as DLVA1234 and another from Maharashtra would get MHVA1234.
Now, I am scratching my head what to do with my MH01VA xxxx numbered car?
gutsy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 08:16   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to BHPian KPS for sharing this draft notification PDF!

Vintage vehicle draft notification 12.12.2019.pdf
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 08:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sensible and welcome decision.

This hopefully means that road worthiness of automobiles will be monitored via regulation (aka MOT sticker in UK) and VA serves as an exemption for Vintage/Classics.
Old 14th December 2019, 08:46   #7
BHPian

Vintage cars to have special (VA) series number plates, exempted from a few regulations-vintage-registration.jpg

So, the Vintage vehicle would have a number like MH VA 01 1234, while my 13 year old has number like MH 01 VA 4321

Will this create any confusion?
gutsy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 09:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

What if I buy a 1979 Premier Padmini. Can I make it a Vintage in 2029 ie when it is 50 years old or does this mean it applies today only to cars built before 1969 and anything after that is not eligible.

I am concerned that a modern car cannot be run/preserved for 50 years to become a vintage in 2069 because of the 15-year rule now in place. Any help on both these points will be much appreciated.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 09:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

One thing is, the draft mentions that the old registration certificate will be cancelled but can be retained by owner for historical purposes. However, I'm not to happy with the fact that old cars will now lose their 3 letter numbers !
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 14:37   #10
BHPian

While its good to have the classics recognized, 30 years instead of 50 would have been good enough to classify it as classic (W123 at least )?

How they are going to implement this is what bothers me. RTO, agents will have a good time.

Haven't gone through the full draft yet but what will happen to the yet to renew FC vehicles? should they be repaired immediately before or can this just be done at the document level by showing RC book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
One thing is, the draft mentions that the old registration certificate will be cancelled but can be retained by owner for historical purposes. However, I'm not to happy with the fact that old cars will now lose their 3 letter numbers !
+1. It would be disappointing to see the vehicles lose their vintage numbers. It would have been nice if we were to display some number/registration stickers of some sort like the club stickers, keeping the registration number as it is.
ganesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 19:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to BHPian KPS for sharing this draft notification PDF!

Attachment 1945578
I had posted the full draft on the day it was published by the ministry in our forum itself
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post4711418 (SOPs for Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes)
Hope I also deserve a mention at least
ajay99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 21:19   #12
BHPian

I wonder what will happen to classic cars like Premier Padmini and Ambassador and Maruti 800 ( japan original edition ) because if they were to be sent to scrap then we loose a piece of history and if we loose registration for them then they're not drivable on the road. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 14th December 2019, 23:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I wonder what will happen to classic cars like Premier Padmini and Ambassador and Maruti 800 ( japan original edition ) because if they were to be sent to scrap then we loose a piece of history and if we loose registration for them then they're not drivable on the road. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hope there will be some solution to keep recent classics on the road. Plenty of cars from the '70s - '90s are popular with enthusiasts, especially as earlier models keep getting rarer and more expensive. Without these there will be no next generation of classic car enthusiasts.
RandomUsername is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 10:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
You are not going to loose registration, except maybe for the diesel ones especially in the metros.of course one will have to pay higher registration fees etc since the government will be using the discentivising policy
Old 16th December 2019, 05:27   #15
BHPian

Overall a good move. Have seen similar system in Sydney. The cars which has some historical importance comes with a "H" license plate. The license plate itself different compared to other cars.

I wish even our authorities introduce just a special design license plate for them, may be without "VA". Otherwise the whole number plate will become clumsy. Just a thought.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks