Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 15:36   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

An Austin Westminster/ Farina (?) can be found here

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-austin.jpg

The Red vintage on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 24th March 2010, 16:01   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Looks like a Ford Falcon
I feel that it is actually a Valiant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Karl , the dodge is a 1946 model.But not your fault as it has trims on the rear fenders which came in 47.Both the windscreens were one piece ambassador mutilations.The front two piece frame was later sourced from poona and though still horrible at least its a split.other wise a lovely daily driver.And not a fluid drive Any idea about the owner?
Are you serious? Hint: see the red brick wall in the background.
BTW, any superchergers around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I have always wondered how to differentiate between 46, 47 and 48 Dodge DeSoto Plymouth Chrysler - can you elaborate further?
These cars have a colloquial name of "ballon" and were available from 1946 to 1948. There are four sizes as far as the body is concerned. All bodies for each size almost identical, differing in trim.
Small car, mostly Plymouths, 5 seaters.
Larger car like this one pictured above, not Fluid Drive, many had a monogram 'deluxe'. This was seen mostly on Dodge's.
Then the third size which came mainly in Chryslers, DeSoto and Dodge with Fluid Drive. These were very elegant cars.
The largest were the 7 seaters, seen mainly in Chryslers.
These were the versions available in India. Some 7 seater DeSoto's were seen, but these would be rarer exceptions, or all scrapped by now.
Many Fluid Drive cars have been ruined because the mechanic did not understand the mechanism. But these are repairable. Also, many of these cars had a gearbox change.

Cheers harit
Old 24th March 2010, 16:19   #828
Team-BHP Support

Picasa Web Albums - jegadish.prabhu - Vintage motor...

Have these been posted before?
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-h-always-hindustan.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-hidden-morris.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-hindustans-first-product.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-img_2214.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-img_2215.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-img_2223.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-img_2224.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-img_2225.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-reneovated-29-ford.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-img_2226.jpg  

Old 24th March 2010, 16:21   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
These cars have a colloquial name of "ballon" and were available from 1946 to 1948. There are four sizes as far as the body is concerned. All bodies for each size almost identical, differing in trim.
Small car, mostly Plymouths, 5 seaters.
Larger car like this one pictured above, not Fluid Drive, many had a monogram 'deluxe'. This was seen mostly on Dodge's.
Then the third size which came mainly in Chryslers, DeSoto and Dodge with Fluid Drive. These were very elegant cars.
The largest were the 7 seaters, seen mainly in Chryslers.
These were the versions available in India. Some 7 seater DeSoto's were seen, but these would be rarer exceptions, or all scrapped by now.
Many Fluid Drive cars have been ruined because the mechanic did not understand the mechanism. But these are repairable. Also, many of these cars had a gearbox change.

Cheers harit

Thanks, but I mean how does one differentiate between the years (e.g. trim on rear fender introduced in 47 Dodge, absent in 46).

Fluid Drive was available in Dodge and Chrysler, but not Plymouth and DeSoto - am I right?
Old 24th March 2010, 17:10   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Fluid Drive was available in Dodge and Chrysler, but not Plymouth and DeSoto - am I right?
In India DeSoto was available as a Fluid Drive too.
In a discussion abroad, soeone mentioned that Plymouth's too were available in Fluid drive, abroad, but am not sure.
Distinction between 1946 and 47/48 is possible, I believe that 47/48 are so very similar as here in India they were built from the same kit. Any opinions, anyone?

Cheers harit
Old 24th March 2010, 19:25   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Which car is it?
Quote:
I feel that it is actually a Valiant.
Harit is right, its a 1968 Plymouth Valiant for sure. The door contours and some other tell tale signs give the car away. The styling was very similar to the Ford Falcon and the Dodge Dart.

Quote:
Any idea about the owner?
Hmmmmmm thats a toughie, but looks like the site where some kind of a new/old Compressor was recently installed (P.S. I was always bad at spelling).

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2010 at 20:04. Reason: As per request.
Old 24th March 2010, 20:18   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hmmmmmm thats a toughie, but looks like the site where some kind of a new/old Compressor was recently installed (P.S. I was always bad at spelling).
Is it the same place where the supposed VCCCI vintage car rally was slated to be held next week, but now rescheduled for the nth time to the following weekend?
Old 24th March 2010, 23:32   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Is it the same place where the supposed VCCCI vintage car rally was slated to be held next week, but now rescheduled for the nth time to the following weekend?
No, Akbarraly's store comes between the two, the venue and this parking place.
You can see pictures of this place on the forum with a Caddy, different Buicks, Dodge's, and others. But I did not know that he went back to Amby's. He had one of the first "Contessa" engined Amby conversions.
Any broader hint will not fit in your screen.

Cheers harit
Old 24th March 2010, 23:37   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The battered MSY 0528 Hindusthan 14 had been posted by stampro earlier- it is based in Madurai and is a driving-school car, hence the condition!

I think the green Vauxhall Wyvern belongs to a collector from Coimbatore with the ID 'collector' here!

The other cars I dont recall seeing before. I really love the Willys station wagon MSY 1967, the tyres, though relatively modern, seem to suit it well!

Last edited by Stanher : 24th March 2010 at 23:40.
Old 27th March 2010, 15:15   #835
BHPian

Harit,I am amazed to read your statement..And i quote..(did not know he went back to ambys ) HARIT did not KNOW???? ha ha ha But benefit of doubt is yours.He always has had ambys.Uninterrupted since birth(hindustan) as they were called then.Lovely cars,like women..Run beautifully..THEN..Boom..and you are left wondering what went wrong..
Old 27th March 2010, 16:28   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit,I am amazed to read your statement..And i quote..(did not know he went back to ambys ) HARIT did not KNOW???? ha ha ha But benefit of doubt is yours.He always has had ambys.Uninterrupted since birth(hindustan) as they were called then.Lovely cars,like women..Run beautifully..THEN..Boom..and you are left wondering what went wrong..
Chalo Chalo enough Cryptic here, lets get on with the thread. Now there is another person i know who uses an Amby as a daily drive, inspite of their varied and envied collection. What say Harit?
Old 28th March 2010, 15:38   #837
Distinguished - BHPian

An early Citroen and a unique Ford attended a Delhi rally last year.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-citroen01.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-ford02.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-ford03.jpg
Old 28th March 2010, 23:20   #838
BHPian

[quote=karlosdeville;1807615]An early Citroen and a unique Ford attended a Delhi rally last year.

Attachment 317149

Attachment 317150

Interesting the black Ford is a 1958, the ugliest car year for American cars. Every manufacturer had bizarre looking models that year. For years after they were ignored, and passed over in the collector world, and today, some are considered so unique looking they are now worth more than the more popular models in the 50's, like the 1958 Chevy Impala, for example.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:16   #839
BHPian

Hey GOgi,the amby remains in use .BUT, the daily drive of your friend still remain older beauties.Enough of this as you rightly state because our banter amongst friends must be boring for the other forum members.Hope to see you on the 11th at the rally with your dodge?And Harit who was looking very debonair in his shades this morning with his beauties?..
Old 29th March 2010, 23:22   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I did not know that he went back to Amby's. He had one of the first "Contessa" engined Amby conversions.
Any broader hint will not fit in your screen Cheers harit
Quote:
Harit,I am amazed to read your statement..And i quote..(did not know he went back to ambys ) HARIT did not KNOW???? ha ha ha But benefit of doubt is yours. He always has had Ambys.Uninterrupted since birth(hindustan) as they were called then. Lovely cars,like women..Run beautifully..THEN..Boom..and you are left wondering what went wrong..
Quote:
Hey Gogi,the Amby remains in use. BUT, the daily drive of your friend still remain older beauties. Enough of this as you rightly state because our banter amongst friends must be boring for the other forum members. Hope to see you on the 11th at the rally with your Dodge? And Harit who was looking very debonair in his shades this morning with his beauties?..
Well, I was not bantering, I saw an Amby outside your office in that picture of the Dodge outside your office and thought that it must be yours, who else is allowed to park there!! But I saw an Amby there after a long time, and you have been seen in your vintages and classics. I wonder if you would have been made a tbhp member on the basis of your Amby. So I genuinly did not know that you are back with an Amby, even if occasionally. I banter only with those with whom I share an occasional beverage!!
The Amby, the Boom is correct, what else do you expect from a piece of..........? But in fact you DO know what went wrong, after all it is a p....

Are you sure about the 11th? Because some still think that it will be the 4th.

Yes, I do look debonair with the shades in the Amby. But I did not see you, you must have been in disguise as I did not see any recognisable car.
Anyway, THIS post does contain some bantering, to be taken in the right SPIRIT.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks