Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2009, 13:51   #601
BHPian

Wbd8775

WBD8775 was a baby hindustan that was bought new by my grandfather , we had it in our family till 1993 , when it was scrapped and was replaced by a Maruti Omni

The car was religiously maintained by my uncle and a mechanic friend of his, it was a daily driver and was 100% reliable till the day that it was given to the scrappy, as my late grandpa did not want to sell it.

I had initially chosen WBD8775 as my user name on the forum , but due to some glitches in the registration process , had to settle for WBD8779.

Will post a detailed writeup once i get the pics.

Regards
Salman
Old 1st November 2009, 15:30   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Do try and post some more pics of this car, its interior and the engine if possible.

Is it a fixed head or is that a removable hard top on it ? Is it on wire spoked wheels ?

love these B's and would love to hear more on this car.

A similar car was restored and looked after by my dad in calcutta.It had the wire wheels and was british racing green in colour.Sometime in the late 1990s-early 2000 the car was sold by the owner and was re-painted to cream.I'll trya dn look for a pic and upload it here.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:48   #603
BHPian

Dodge Kingsway

Hi,

Saw this Dodge Kingsway Convertible sometime back in Delhi , car was immaculate.

Sorry about the pics was driving and clicking at the same time (not recommended and not safe at all)
Enjoy!
Cheers
Salman
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dodge_kingsway1.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-image0198.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-image0196.jpg  

Old 7th November 2009, 16:19   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

'have seen this battered old Yank tank used as a wedding "baraat" car on hire at Public Gardens, Abids. I'm not able to identify this car; the lines seem Ford-ish. But on googling, I couldn't find any Ford cars of the early 60s that exactly match it's design, especially the front.

Its the only Yank car left with those people.

A decade ago (and even less) you'd find many more such Yank tanks (mostly chevys) of the same era, and also Heralds, parked there where those Contessas now stand. All eventually scrapped but for this one, which I presume, must be dieselised too!
There is also a 60s Austin Cambridge Farina there, red with a white stripe, but was blocked from view when I saw it yesterday. So couldn't take pics. 'will try another time.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-img_3873.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 7th November 2009 at 16:22.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:25   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
'have seen this battered old Yank tank used as a wedding "baraat" car on hire at Public Gardens, Abids. I'm not able to identify this car; the lines seem Ford-ish. But on googling, I couldn't find any Ford cars of the early 60s that exactly match it's design, especially the front.
It is a Buick, ATX regd I think.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:48   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Hi,

Saw this Dodge Kingsway Convertible sometime back in Delhi , car was immaculate.

Sorry about the pics was driving and clicking at the same time (not recommended and not safe at all)
Enjoy!
Cheers
Salman
Immaculate Salman.Must be one of the best preserved Kingsway's in the country.
Old 8th November 2009, 11:25   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
It is a Buick, ATX regd I think.
Thanks! Yes, I do remember it had an ATX regn. 'will try for front end pics. when I go there next.
Old 9th November 2009, 11:09   #608
BHPian

spotted a Fiat 1200 yesterday in mumbai. was late in the evening so no pic .sorry

here is what i looked like.Had a MRX reg no.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-fiat120062.jpg
Old 9th November 2009, 11:36   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagu View Post
spotted a Fiat 1200 yesterday in mumbai. was late in the evening so no pic .sorry

here is what i looked like.Had a MRX reg no.

Attachment 224628
There are 2 cars of that description I know in Bombay - one is metallic orange, with Gypsy running gear and large alloys. It belongs to fellow member Immy Shaikh. It is well remembered as the same car used in the race scene in the classic movie 'Waqt'.

Another one is red, and in original specification.
Old 9th November 2009, 13:18   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
There are 2 cars of that description I know in Bombay - one is metallic orange, with Gypsy running gear and large alloys. It belongs to fellow member Immy Shaikh. It is well remembered as the same car used in the race scene in the classic movie 'Waqt'.

Another one is red, and in original specification.
It was the red but had black alloy wheels.
Old 10th November 2009, 04:48   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Its the only Yank car left with those people.

A decade ago (and even less) you'd find many more such Yank tanks (mostly chevys) of the same era, and also Heralds, parked there where those Contessas now stand. All eventually scrapped but for this one, which I presume, must be dieselised too!
There is also a 60s Austin Cambridge Farina there, red with a white stripe, but was blocked from view when I saw it yesterday. So couldn't take pics. 'will try another time.

Attachment 223404
From America, the four door-model in front looks like a '61 or '62 Buick Skylark, but something is strange about it. No portholes on front fender, never offered a four-door convertible, and I can't find anything exactly like it in my files. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 10th November 2009, 09:45   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonrock View Post
From America, the four door-model in front looks like a '61 or '62 Buick Skylark, but something is strange about it. No portholes on front fender, never offered a four-door convertible, and I can't find anything exactly like it in my files. Good luck and keep posting.
The "something strange" about this car is that the roof has been chopped off to transform it into a convertible
Old 10th November 2009, 09:58   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonrock View Post
From America, the four door-model in front looks like a '61 or '62 Buick Skylark, but something is strange about it. No portholes on front fender, never offered a four-door convertible, and I can't find anything exactly like it in my files.
As wasif said, this is NOT a convertible by any means.
In fact you can make that out quite easily, especially from the cut on the roof above the front windscreen. It's a 4-door saloon (sedan) with the roof chopped off, all those other cars behind it are too. This is done to all such cars used for weddings here. A pity because they most likely cannot be resurrected once mutilated in this way. The portholes would've been simply welded shut.
Here are a couple of pics. of a '59 Chevy Bel-air, also a chopped 4-door sedan, that I used to see in the same spot a couple of years ago and had also earlier posted in another thread I think.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-belair02.bmp.jpg

And ('hope this doesn't scare you too much! ) a '56 Plymouth with the same "chop top" treatment, also shoddily modified into a 2-door:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...e-spotted.html

To add further, these cars are usually fitted with local Diesel engines for lack off spares and also fuel economy (they have to be driven real slow with the wedding processions, so the original engines would be real gas-guzzlers)......we were at par with Cuba at one time in this regard!

Last edited by Stanher : 10th November 2009 at 10:00.
Old 11th November 2009, 17:13   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

A well maintained 1936 Ford V8 in Kolhapur, apparently in the family from new, and parked in Kelavkar Hospital in Tarabai Park area of Kolhapur.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-01.jpg
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-02.jpg
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-03.jpg

My Journey To Billionaire Club: August 2009
Old 11th November 2009, 21:02   #615
Senior - BHPian

Nice car. Is that colour the original or a custom variety chose by the owners.

Its way too radical to have come from a conservative manifacturer like Ford

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks