Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2008, 02:07   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im told that one was around in Bombay as well. Current whereabouts unknown. I also vaguely recall seeing one in a Hindi movie, there was a parachute/handgliding involved in the scene, I cant recall any more details. A surprisingly attractive car to me.
Yes, yes one was. Was called a Jeepster. I have seen it as a Kid. In fact it was pretty close to my house. It belonged to an Industrialist who had sent it for repairs to a garage. I remember seeing it as almost new then deteriorate a little then deteriorate little by little to rust.
This was then picked up by another collector who further deteriorated it and then was finally picked up by yet another person out of the state and from there on I dont have track of it. I will dig it up if still existing as I know someone who might know where she is today.

Re the pic posted by anjan_c2007, well if its available, ill be only to interested in restoring her back.
Old 13th July 2008, 10:01   #1457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Re the pic posted by anjan_c2007, well if its available, ill be only to interested in restoring her back.
Good luck gogi!
I'll try for the hyderabad one meanwhile!
Old 13th July 2008, 15:46   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Good luck gogi!
I'll try for the hyderabad one meanwhile!
Go for it man. These things are disappearing fast and quick. If you do need a hurricane engine, there are aplenty in Mumbai, as of now. I dont knowe about tomorrow. I just bought one and the guy had 6 engines with him. I met him yesterday (a few weeks after I bought my engine) and he tells me he only has two left.
Old 13th July 2008, 17:18   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
There is an identical Renault for sale down south JAyD. Better condition, very roadworthy.
Gogi Bhai,

Is this Renault you referring ? This one is in Mangalore and I am after it.....what do you think of its worth ?

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p1260042.jpg  

Old 13th July 2008, 17:38   #1460
Senior - BHPian

I think its the same car boss. Only i was told its in Bangalore (maybe i heard wrong) and the colour was Red. I have pics with me.
I had offered 40K for it but now it seems to have been repainted and nicely too. Maybe 50-70K should be a fair offer. HE wanted 70K then and assuming its the same car, then he might want some more.
Its not actually a collectible but then there are so many others which are not and have gone for crazy prices. IMHO, the prices are now more or less stable and even having a downward trend. So negotiate strongly and it is a rare car around here so go for it if the price is right.
Old 13th July 2008, 18:15   #1461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think its the same car boss. Only i was told its in Bangalore (maybe i heard wrong) and the colour was Red. I have pics with me.
You know about a month back I saw an IDENTICAL car in Pune. Same colour too. I wonder if its the same.
Old 14th July 2008, 01:48   #1462
BHPian

Hi Girishpv, can you post full picture red car on the left of Renault, it
looks like Morris 8. The Renault I have seen in Hyd in 70's did not run
well most of time have problems and mechanics hate to work on it.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:58   #1463
BHPian

Dear,

I have only one photo of this 1936 Morris 8.

regards
Girish
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p1260044.jpg  

Old 14th July 2008, 12:22   #1464
BHPian

Thanks Girishpv for nice Morris 8 picture, but if possible please post the picture of red car on the left of Renault as seen a little in your first post.

Regards,
Old 14th July 2008, 12:50   #1465
BHPian

Dear,

Here it is....1948 Morris 8

regards
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p1260043.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-richie_0127_vint11.jpg  

Old 14th July 2008, 14:09   #1466
BHPian

Thanks a lot Girishpv, for your quick response, I have one similar one Morris 8 1948. I wish to see all Morris 8 and Morris 10 M (Hindustan 48), even Austins, Hillman cars, presently how many survived in India. Also write if possible is there any market in Mangalore or around you for old
cars spare parts. We have in Hyd one, but now a days difficult to find old cars parts, long time back it used to be full of old cars parts, even old cars were parked for scraping.

Thanks & regards
Old 14th July 2008, 14:23   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Thanks a lot Girishpv, for your quick response, I have one similar one Morris 8 1948. I wish to see all Morris 8 and Morris 10 M (Hindustan 48), even Austins, Hillman cars, presently how many survived in India. Also write if possible is there any market in Mangalore or around you for old
cars spare parts. We have in Hyd one, but now a days difficult to find old cars parts, long time back it used to be full of old cars parts, even old cars were parked for scraping.

Thanks & regards
Dear,

No, we do not have any market in Mangalore, we use to go to other cities like Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Delhi etc etc for parts.

There are only few cars in Mangalore and quite a good collection with Mr.Heggade of Dharmasthala Temple.
Due to the coastal weather, most of the cars and bikes been gone bad and scrapped long back.

Also we do not have proper mechanic's available and its becoming too difficult to maintain or do any repairs now.

Regards
Girish
Old 14th July 2008, 22:45   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
To my knowledge, the Standard 8/10 had hydraulic clutch as well as brakes (which carried forward on the Herald) and so did the Austin.
I was referring to the Standard 8 of 1946 - same period as the Morris 8. It was also called the bell Standard. The later shape came in the 50's - same as the Standard 10. But the Standard 8 of the 50's had sliding glass on the doors and I think you had to access the dicky from the inside - the outside was inaccessible. When the Standard 10 came it had glasses which you could roll down, the dicky could be opened from the rear and yes - the clutch was hydraulically operated - both clutch and brake had slung pedals - which the Fiat did not incorporate at all. Today slung pedals is standard. A lot of heat comes in through the pedals on the Fiat - one of the reasons why an ac on it has little effect. Surely PAL could have improved their vehicles. Mohaan
Old 14th July 2008, 23:43   #1469
JRD
BHPian

if the engine and trans is still alive.. it would not be impossible to save the datsun.!! i hope some one gets it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Austin 7

Ford model "A" & Morris

All above cars are located at one place.

Datsun 120Y

Old 15th July 2008, 01:11   #1470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaan View Post
But the Standard 8 of the 50's had sliding glass on the doors and I think you had to access the dicky from the inside - the outside was inaccessible.
Actually there was a flap on the outside to access the dicky, it also didnt have a full boot as the 10.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-supre802.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-super804.jpg  

Most Viewed