Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 19:54   #1426
BHPian

Poor Fiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzrox View Post
I dont know exactly but i guess these pieces of vehicles are Willys Jeep Station Wagon and a Fiat 1100... they are present in oxford school ground, hyderabad.
The poor Fiat...looks like some subhuman creatures jumped on the roof to make it cave in like that. Really sad.
Old 9th July 2008, 20:02   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
The poor Fiat...looks like some subhuman creatures jumped on the roof to make it cave in like that. Really sad.

Kids from the School Jump on it...
Old 9th July 2008, 20:18   #1428
Distinguished - BHPian

That Jeep Station Wagon is beautiful. The 4 cylinder engine was known as Hurricane and the 6 cylinder engine was known as Tornado. I know (or rather "knew") 3 owners. 1 - Mr.Sushil Waman Welingkar who had MRW XXXX. 2 - Mr.Lilaowalla who had a 6 cylinder version in our Dadar Parsi Colony. 3 - Mr.Veeraiah in Mumbai. 4 - MRX8592 grey in colour which I used quite extensively as it was in the department of the company where I work. We had replaced the beam axle with round axle.

Somebody please save this station wagon. It is a dream to drive.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th July 2008, 20:23   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
That Jeep Station Wagon is beautiful.
Somebody please save this station wagon. It is a dream to drive.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Its owned by Oxford School Management. When Some Program is held in the ground..they Push it and start and move it (tyres remain deflated)..
Old 9th July 2008, 22:31   #1430

Thats just sad!! Did anyone notice the alluminium tailight bodies on the car?? And the bumpers. Stanher, Save those at least!!
Old 9th July 2008, 22:41   #1431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzrox View Post
I dont know exactly but i guess these pieces of vehicles are Willys Jeep Station Wagon and a Fiat 1100... they are present in oxford school ground, hyderabad.
Whoa, what a sad sight!! Especially the fiat- I agree with sidman, the creatures that jumped on it HAVE to be subhuman, even worse than a Yeti (no not our TheYeti® )

Where in Hyderabad is this school?? Do pm me please. The willys still looks salvageable. Now to find the owner!

Last edited by Stanher : 9th July 2008 at 22:46.
Old 9th July 2008, 23:08   #1432
BHPian

Somebody please please save the aluminium tail lamps, door handles, steering wheel, and every thing you can from that Fiat. These are rare things to find these days and they are getting rarer only because of fanatics like us (including me) who pick up every vintage car part that catches our eye.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 9th July 2008, 23:10   #1433
BHPian

Oxford Grammar school,Street No.11, Himayath nagar, Hyderabad.
Old 10th July 2008, 09:57   #1434
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Engines of the Willys Station Wagons, Trucks and Jeepsters

Quote:
That Jeep Station Wagon is beautiful. The 4 cylinder engine was known as Hurricane and the 6 cylinder engine was known as Tornado...
Many of us know about the Willys Go-Devil, Hurricane and the Buick Dauntless V6 engines, that powered Jeeps in the Willys-Overland and Kaiser-Willys period.

The 72 bhp 2199 litre 134 cid "Hurricane" F-head 4-cylinder and the
155 bhp 3.7 litre Buick "Dauntless" V-6 which was available as an option from 1965 to 1969.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post188784

Lightning
1948-1950 Willys 673 Jeep Wagons and Willys VJ Jeepster cars of the same period had a flathead straight-six called the L-148 [2,428 cc] Lightning engine.

In 1950 the Lightning was converted to F-head (int.valves in-head, exh.valves in-block) and its capacity was increased to 161 cubic inches [2,638 cc].
A peculiarity of this engine is that the head and intake manifold is cast as a single piece iron casting.

I have seen a Willys Jeepster at the Satpura Dam (Sarni hill station) in the 1960s in my boyhood. It had a front like a Willys station wagon, a two door body and a sloping rear deck.

Super-Hurricane
Did you know that from 1954 until 1963, the Willys 475 Wagon and Willys pick-up truck had a flathead six cylinder called the Continental L-226 Super-Hurricane?

This was a 226 cubic inch [3,707 cc] straight-six engine that, in the 1954-1958 version developed 115 bhp @ 3800 rpm and 190 ft-lb of torque @ 1800 rpm.
The bhp was derated from 1959-1962 downto 105 bhp @ 3600 rpm but the 190 ft-lb of torque was developed @ a near idle 1400 rpm which improved off-road crawlability tremendously. BTW, this engine also powered American Checker taxis of the 1950s.

My uncle had such a Willys right-hand-drive wagon in Bhopal. It was white and very sparingly used. It was cleaned and polished more than it was driven.
We in the family used to call it "white elephant". I remember that all OEM Willys rubber matting was complete, clean and unworn.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-steeringwheelwillyswagonsmall.jpg

It had a white bakelite two spoke steering wheel with a black boss defined by bright rings and in the centre was the big curvy W. I distinctly remember the unusual goose neck pedals with circular rubber pads with a concentric ring pattern. There was a characteristic Willys wagon interior odor that still lurks in memories.

My guess is this was directly imported without help from Mahindra & Mahindra.

Tornado
The Tornado was newer than the Super Hurricane. It was a 230 cid (3.76 litre) straight-six that developed 140 bhp @ 4000 rpm and 210 ft-lb@ 1750 rpm. it was used in the Jeep Gladiator/J-series pick-up trucks (pick-up version of the Wagoneer) and its military versions -- the Willys M715 and 725. Was also used in the Willys station wagons and Wagoneers.

My friend in Kingston NY, Fletch Landesman had a military surplus Willys M715 pickup truck with the Tornado straight-six.

Cheers...
Ram
Old 10th July 2008, 10:15   #1435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I have seen a Willys Jeepster at the Satpura Dam (Sarni hill station) in the 1960s in my boyhood. It had a front like a Willys station wagon, a two door body and a sloping rear deck.
Im told that one was around in Bombay as well. Current whereabouts unknown. I also vaguely recall seeing one in a Hindi movie, there was a parachute/handgliding involved in the scene, I cant recall any more details. A surprisingly attractive car to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1948-willys-jeepster-cabriolet-462-vj2.jpg  

Old 10th July 2008, 10:53   #1436
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karl - the whitewalled tyrewallah photograph you have posted above, one was there (you know where), purchased by Mr.Tanavade of transport section in 1982 and registered by him in Goa. Don't know after that.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th July 2008, 11:46   #1437
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone seen a miniature Willys Jeep shaped soft-top body powered by Standard Herald mechanicals? I saw one in the 1970s in Sion, Bombay.
Old 10th July 2008, 14:28   #1438
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes Ram I know about this vehicle. It was called "mini jeep". They were made out of Standard 10 (not herald because standard 10 had full rear axle) parts and were made in Hyderabad. Standard 10 registration numbers were transplanted. One "dealer" was in Opera House in the compound of the Pandit & Company building opposite to where now lots of jewellers shops are there. I had driven it also. I saw one in Pune's Sachapir street recently. It was in scrap condition. That time I had purchased BML2880, a scrap Standard 10 lying in Wadala, removed all mechanical parts and stored them at home in the hope of sending them to Hyderabad but it never happened so I threw away everything.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th July 2008, 14:46   #1439
BANNED

Quote:
Dear Karl - the whitewalled tyrewallah photograph you have posted above, one was there (you know where), purchased by Mr.Tanavade of transport section in 1982 and registered by him in Goa. Don't know after that.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, was it a light blue or light green in colour. If it was then it is back in Goa. I used to see it often when in school. But then it maybe a different one all together.
Old 10th July 2008, 16:23   #1440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl
I also vaguely recall seeing one in a Hindi movie, there was a parachute/handgliding involved in the scene, I cant recall any more details.
I think the movie was Do jasoos, a '70s one. The vvehicle was driven in a chase scene by Prem Chopra where it gets stuck in water while crossing through a river.

Quote:
That time I had purchased BML2880, a scrap Standard 10 lying in Wadala, removed all mechanical parts and stored them at home in the hope of sending them to Hyderabad but it never happened so I threw away everything.

:sob: :weep: :sigh:

Btw sir, by standard 10 you mean Pennant, right?

Incidentally, I too have seen quite a number of these jeeps, even one recently. A red one with a late 60s (ADX) number near Charminar one day. I could make out the standard 10/herald steering wheel/horn button in it.
And of course I have been trying in vain to get one!
Although I wonder how they retained the chassis as the 10 had a monocoque shell.

Incidentally a driver who once worked for us (later passed away) told me that he had a mechanic friend here who would buy heralds and strip the bodyshell off, making beach buggies on the same chassis! And he'd sell them at fabulous prices to people in bombay. Anyone from bum baiah seen those?

Last edited by Stanher : 10th July 2008 at 16:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks