Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 00:41   #1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Arre baba, car nahi dikra! He's talking about the junked moped (Peugeot Sportif.)
I cant find it in the past few pages baba. Some one please repost a picture here!!
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:22   #1277
BHPian

@Cyrus43

I am only re-posting the photo
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image028.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2008, 02:25   #1278

Thank you Girish. Is that actually a classic?
Old 2nd June 2008, 08:47   #1279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Thank you Girish. Is that actually a classic?
I don't think its an classic, but sure its getting rarer day by day. Very hard to find mopeds as well as parts.

Old 2nd June 2008, 15:44   #1280
BHPian

The 57 Chevy Two-Ten

Hi Guys! Thanks for all the info about the Chevy! You guys are real knowledge banks! Karlos has known this beauty since he was kid, it used to be a few houses away from his in Pune! Amazing how we sometimes run into "lost beauties" from our childhood! Yes, the speedo is in kmph, the car was an export model meant for Europe. Horrid paintjob, was done by some guy in Koramangala. 4-5 years back, I went to his garage, and nicely asked him to give me back the trim he had "lost". He acted like he did not know what I was talking, so I asked him to at least help me to source replacements from the gujiri, and he tells me that it's impossible to find this stuff. I wouldn't even trust him to repaint my bicycle .
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:42   #1281
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Hi Guys! Thanks for all the info about the Chevy! You guys are real knowledge banks! Karlos has known this beauty since he was kid, it used to be a few houses away from his in Pune! Amazing how we sometimes run into "lost beauties" from our childhood! Yes, the speedo is in kmph, the car was an export model meant for Europe. Horrid paintjob, was done by some guy in Koramangala. 4-5 years back, I went to his garage, and nicely asked him to give me back the trim he had "lost". He acted like he did not know what I was talking, so I asked him to at least help me to source replacements from the gujiri, and he tells me that it's impossible to find this stuff. I wouldn't even trust him to repaint my bicycle .
Hey Sidman: Anytime!

Can you get the VIN number of the 1957 Chevrolet Two-Ten model?
The VIN tag should be on a stainless steel plate welded to the driver's side front door "B" pillar jamb. There should also be a tag on the firewall/cowl near the bonnet hinge.

There was a little confusion about whether it was a Bel-Air or a Two-Ten.
Gogi thought and I agreed with him that the contoured aluminum panel could have been removed.

But when I saw the Chevrolet Crown above the rear license plate, instead of the big "V" emblem, I knew it had to be a Two-Ten or a One-Fifty.

The triangular wedge on the rear fender helped identify it as a Two-Ten and not a Bel-Air.

Still to identify a car by absence of an artifact is not really confirmatory.
So we looked at the dashboard.

A genuine Bel-Air dashboard would have a "Bel-Air" script while a "Two-Ten" would just say "Chevrolet". That clinched it.

Here's your pic.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1957chevytwotendash.jpg

And here a Bel-Air dash.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1957chevybelairdash.jpg

BTW the analog clock is original Chevrolet spec.
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:07   #1282
BANNED

@Cyrus: Where in Panaji? around Campal? did you find the Beetle and the Merc. If thats the place then there are a couple of Mini's another Beetle, a peugeot and some Chevrolet. That family has a confectinary business. There is a legal issue with the cars, they have been rotting there since the last 10 years when the great grand father expired.
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:18   #1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@Cyrus: Where in Panaji? around Campal? did you find the Beetle and the Merc. If thats the place then there are a couple of Mini's another Beetle, a peugeot and some Chevrolet. That family has a confectinary business. There is a legal issue with the cars, they have been rotting there since the last 10 years when the great grand father expired.
Panaji or Panjim is the capital of GOA.
And no there were no more cars there!!
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:49   #1284
BHPian

Chevy 57

Chevrolet cars were really very comfortable and fascinating driving pleasure. I have Chevrolet Caprice Classic 1986 since 1997, enormous
sudden pickup with power steering and automatic transmission is great driving experience with these V8 engines cars.

If some of our friends can manage to acquire these beauty it can be restored back to good condition. These model looks like it has manual transmission as seen in 3 padels in picture, as automatic cars has only two padels. Front V-shaped monogram also seems to be missing.
Old 2nd June 2008, 19:16   #1285
BHPian

More photos soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Hey Sidman: Anytime!

Can you get the VIN number of the 1957 Chevrolet Two-Ten model?
The VIN tag should be on a stainless steel plate welded to the driver's side front door "B" pillar jamb. There should also be a tag on the firewall/cowl near the bonnet hinge.
Sure, I'll take more pics. Pics of engine and the petrol tank flap (its a part of the left fin!) are required too.
Old 2nd June 2008, 20:14   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Wowwww.....my god...what a find @Sideman.
The emblems can be sourced from US and also it looks very reasonable to restore. with the help of good mechanics any problems can be solved.Try to talk with the owner

I have driven a car like this 30 years back 1957 Bel Air V8 - left hand drive. Won't do it gain - not with today's traffic. There is a 1958 Bel Air 6 cylinder right hand drive with papers available. I have just completed fitting new brake linings and now rings are being changed on the engine. Body needs a lot of tinkering - since the car was standing open to sky for many years. Now it will be able to move on its own power. There are no trimmings - got to get them from abroad - quite few things available on the net. Anyone interested ? Mohaan
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:20   #1287
Senior - BHPian

Beetles in Goa

I saw these outside a garage. There were a few more inside and a couple of vw van's undergoing tinwork.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-beetles-001.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-beetles-002.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-beetles-009.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2008, 08:59   #1288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
I saw these outside a garage. There were a few more inside and a couple of vw van's undergoing tinwork.
I had put up these pics elsewhere too, probably in the same thread. Had seen them last year. The first pic is of a rare 58-60 bug complete with semaphores! The body and chassis are seperated, and lying close by. I was under the impression it was being restored but looking at the trees growing through it now I have second thoughts.
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:15   #1289
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Panaji or Panjim is the capital of GOA.
And no there were no more cars there!!
I did say where "in" Panaji and not where "is" Panaji?

I am from Panaji itself, and Campal is an area close by to where you could have caught the Mandovi Cruise. The other cars are well concealed in a garage in the same house, cant be seen from the road.
Old 3rd June 2008, 13:08   #1290
Team-BHP Support

Spitfire, I have been told of classics in the Mandovi hotel basement. Can you confirm?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks