Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 09:27   #1261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Also notice the beetle next to it. Was shooed away by some lady before i could take more pics.
I assume this is the Beetle next to it? Photographed this circa 2000.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-bug04.jpg  

Old 31st May 2008, 13:03   #1262

yes karl. This is the one. And it looks EXACTLY the same!!
Old 1st June 2008, 00:43   #1263
BHPian

56 Chevy 210?

Am no expert, but from what I'm told, this is a 56 Chevy 210. It sits in my friend's backyard, been there for 15 years I guess. It was originally in Pune, then it was brought down to B'lore and repainted. During the repainting, the garage lost some of the trim (emblems), and I think there's a minor problem with the transmission. The car has not been driven at all due to this problem, and was towed to and from the paint shop. However, the car does not have papers, and I'm told that there could be some legal hassles involved. I don't think the owner will sell or restore the car, we have been trying to talk him into it.
Some photos below:
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00055.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00056.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00057.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00058.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00060.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00061.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00062.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00064.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00065.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00066.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00067.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00068.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00072.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-zdsc00073.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc00774.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc00775.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc00776.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc00778.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc00779.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc00783.jpg  

Old 1st June 2008, 02:43   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gogi bhai. This is the one i smsd you about.
Wow. Great find Snoopy. Theres a W111 Heckflosse next to where the beetle is parked man.

@ Sidman- Thats no 1956, its a 1957 Chevrolet Belair. Manual transmission with an unoriginal Fuel guage. Cant call it a very desirable car as the trims would be difficult to source but still in the hands of a good collector and restorer, this car could see its life again.
Old 1st June 2008, 09:30   #1265
Ram
Senior - BHPian

1957 Chevrolet four-door pillared non-sport-sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
@ Sidman- Thats no 1956, its a 1957 Chevrolet Belair. Manual transmission with an unoriginal Fuel gauge. Cant call it a very desirable car as the trims would be difficult to source but still in the hands of a good collector and restorer, this car could see its life again.

Gogi, there was a class hierarchy among 1957 Chevrolets.
  1. At the top end was the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air with lots of chrome goodies including chrome window molding and stainless-steel full wheel covers, fuel-injected V8 and automatic. The convertible was only available as a Bel Air. The costliest and rarest was the Bel Air Nomad 2-door station wagon.
  2. At the mid range was the 1957 Chevrolet Two-Ten.
  3. At the bottom end (economy or fleet model) was the 1957 Chevrolet One-Fifty with a minimum of chrome, six-cylinder, 3-speed manual and small hub caps. It had simple trim and rubber matting.
The 1957 Chevy wedge
The Bel Air and the Two-Ten had the wedge-shaped side trim on the rear quarter panel. The Bel Air had the wedge filled with an aluminum trim panel with "Bel Air" gold-plated script. The Two-Ten's wedge was painted the same color as the roof with "Chevrolet" chrome script.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1957chevroletfourdoors.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1957chevrolet210.jpg

This is a 1957 Chevrolet Two-Ten. Its paint combination is close to the original India Ivory and Larkspur Blue combination.

Ram
Old 1st June 2008, 09:49   #1266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Am no expert, but from what I'm told, this is a 56 Chevy 210. It sits in my friend's backyard, been there for 15 years I guess. It was originally in Pune, then it was brought down to B'lore and repainted.
Im very happy to see this car again (Im quite sure it is the same). She used to stand in the driveway of the Jolly's bungalow on the corner of Bund Garden road, just 100 meters from my house. Being well hidden, I could usually only see that stylish tailfin peeking out. It dissapeared around 6-8 years ago, maybe more. I once met the grandson of the owner and he told me the car was moved to their building in Bangalore where it was to be placed on the roof on display! The car used to be in superb condition (cosmetically atleast) all those years its sad to see it in its current state.
Old 1st June 2008, 12:54   #1267
BHPian

Wowwww.....my god...what a find @Sideman.
The emblems can be sourced from US and also it looks very reasonable to restore. with the help of good mechanics any problems can be solved.Try to talk with the owner

Old 1st June 2008, 12:57   #1268

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Wow. Great find Snoopy. Theres a W111 Heckflosse next to where the beetle is parked man.

haan baba. that cars picture onli i have put na!! see in the last page.
Old 1st June 2008, 13:31   #1269
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Interestingly this Chevy has a speedometer calibrated in km/h (0-200),

Name:  1957Chevykmhspeedo.jpg
Views: 4750
Size:  23.3 KB

as opposed to mph (0-120), which one would expect from an car built in USA in 1957.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1957chevymphspeedo.jpg

Maybe this car was made for export to Continental Europe.
The Europeans have been Metricated since the early 19th century (circa. 1840 AD). Therefore a km/h speedo.

Clumsy blue paint overspray

The chrome-bezeled idiot lights are fully coated with blue paint in this specimen. I would have brushed-on a masking resist on them before spraying on the blue paint.

Here is a close-up of the car with a Pricol fuel gauge photographed by Sidman

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1957chevywrongfuelgauge.jpg

and here is a close-up of the original fuel gauge (not so hard to source) with the traditional mph speedo.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1957chevyrightfuelgauge.jpg

Ram
Old 1st June 2008, 13:35   #1270
BHPian

ot:

saw a similar guage in a shop with 0-200 in a shop
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image090.jpg  

Old 1st June 2008, 15:23   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Gogi, there was a class hierarchy among 1957 Chevrolets....
...The Bel Air and the Two-Ten had the wedge-shaped side trim on the rear quarter panel. The Bel Air had the wedge filled with an aluminum trim panel with "Bel Air" gold-plated script. The Two-Ten's wedge was painted the same color as the roof with "Chevrolet" chrome script.
Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Clumsy blue paint overspray
Ram
Just why I didnt want to hazard a guess thats its definitely a 210. Ram as you have noticed the cruel and clumsy job of blue overspray in the interior, even on the chromed parts, it is quite possible that the side panels might have been treated in this manner. No I dont mean overspray but it was emntioned that a lot of original trim was missing and as this is an old car, the side panels could have been swiped or due to rust just disintergrated. The person who probably painted it at that period, didi not care about the restoration but these are all iffs. Its a BElair alright and more likely so a 210.
One of my friends is just restoring a 1957 Belair convertible.
Old 1st June 2008, 20:08   #1272
BHPian

Sportif?

This looks like a Sportif that was launched in the mid-80's (I think it was an Indo-French collaboration). My cousin had one of these. Spares were difficult to come by because the company folded soon. It was projected as a sporty, attractive alternative to the Lunas and similar bikes that occupied the same segment.
No idea about the "peugot diesel" that you mention. Could be a badge ripped off from some other vehicle? But I'm pretty sure its a Sportif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
went to the gujri today as had some work to pick up some stuff saw this here it said peugot diesel was intresting as never seen it before tough of posting it.
Old 1st June 2008, 22:39   #1273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
This looks like a Sportif that was launched in the mid-80's (I think it was an Indo-French collaboration). My cousin had one of these. Spares were difficult to come by because the company folded soon. It was projected as a sporty, attractive alternative to the Lunas and similar bikes that occupied the same segment.
No idea about the "peugot diesel" that you mention. Could be a badge ripped off from some other vehicle? But I'm pretty sure its a Sportif.
What car are you talking about??
Old 1st June 2008, 22:48   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Cyrus, I think the sportif in question, is the moped that peugeot had introduced in the eighties - I remember it too. Sadly though, it didn,t do too well and was taken off soon.
Old 2nd June 2008, 00:26   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What car are you talking about??
Arre baba, car nahi dikra! He's talking about the junked moped (Peugeot Sportif.)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks