Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2008, 12:43   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
  1. If they were period plates, how could they be yellow - a recent phenomenon.
    IMHO period plates should have had white letters against a black background.
  2. Isn't it sacrilege to use such an elderly institution as a private taxi ?
Ram
The plates are yellow for the simple reason that one cant drive around with the old black on white plates anymore!!

This car is still being used as a taxi, so it needs the newer plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
What I meant was the number itself. For example in Pune "MHQ" was a commercial series in use in the 70s. Black letters on a white plate. When the new norms came into play, the number remained the same, but now on a yellow plate.

This car has a KLP registration, which I think is correct for a 60s commercial vehicle (I could be wrong, can someone correct me?) So in all probability it has been a private taxi all its life. Its remarkable how well the car is preserved. Suren, were these dieselised?

Now can we continue further discussions in the relevant threads?
Karl, Kerala did/does not have a specific number series alloted for commercial vehicles. Although, KSRTC buses used to have KLX regn and now use KL-15 Regn..

KLP is a Palakkad Regn from the 60's. The car is a early 60's model while the regn is from the end 60's. Maybe it was re-registered from some oyher state at that time.

Yes. These cars are dieselized.palakkad, being a relatively quiet and less developed place, one can still find a lot of old cars still being used as taxis, like the Mk1/2 ambys and a few others. All of them usually have Matador engines.
Old 27th May 2008, 16:38   #1247
BHPian

i saw a car in the outskirts of Bangalore 2 months ago it was a Mark 1 (steel grey) and it was sporting very similar OHV arrow on Both sides. I had not seen them before and i also have the Mark1 Catalog book and it is not listed there ....i would love to have them for my Mark 1 as well. Do you know of anybody from the HM Uttarpara Plant who could guide us on this. !!
Old 27th May 2008, 18:29   #1248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Yes. These cars are dieselized.palakkad, being a relatively quiet and less developed place, one can still find a lot of old cars still being used as taxis, like the Mk1/2 ambys and a few others. All of them usually have Matador engines.
ChettAn! I'd like to know what cars those "few others" are. Surely not Standards or Plymouths/Dodges!!

Incidentally a net friend of mine who hails from Trichy, TN said that his father had worked for Simpson & co. there and the co. had a 50s Dodge Kingsway still in use until not more than 10 years ago!
He said he'd travelled in it a number of times and that it was well-maintained but was real slow.
So I'm guessing it was Dieselized!

'wonder if they still have it!
Old 28th May 2008, 07:09   #1249
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
ChettAn! I'd like to know what cars those "few others" are. Surely not Standards or Plymouths/Dodges!!

Incidentally a net friend of mine who hails from Trichy, TN said that his father had worked for Simpson & co. there and the co. had a 50s Dodge Kingsway still in use until not more than 10 years ago!
He said he'd travelled in it a number of times and that it was well-maintained but was real slow.

Wasn't there a Simpson diesel engine, that was used to repower Mahindra petrol Jeeps?

This was before Mahindra's 1979 license to use the 2,112 cc 70 bhp Peugeot XDP 4.90 which was derated to 62 bhp with the Mico-Bosch pump.

I guess the Simpson and Perkins low-BHP high-torque oil-burners, were also used to power, tired old American Iron in India.
Old 28th May 2008, 09:26   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Its become quite rare these days, but one can still spot landmaster diesels, the odd vanguard, and also, till about just 2 years back, some old american iron like dodges and plymouth savoys.

The landmasters and similar cars would run the matador engine, while bigger cars used the perkins 6 cyl engine!!

The one that takes the cake was a 1956 dodge kingsway i found last month with a Kirloskar engine!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Wasn't there a Simpson diesel engine, that was used to repower Mahindra petrol Jeeps?

This was before Mahindra's 1979 license to use the 2,112 cc 70 bhp Peugeot XDP 4.90 which was derated to 62 bhp with the Mico-Bosch pump.

I guess the Simpson and Perkins low-BHP high-torque oil-burners, were also used to power, tired old American Iron in India.
Yes Ram, these were also used in Kerala in a big way in the 70's and the 80s's. Especially, the Perkins 6 cyl unit was a hot favourite for large american cars like the Dodge kingsway/ Fords, mercurys and so on.
Old 28th May 2008, 10:46   #1251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Its become quite rare these days, but one can still spot landmaster diesels, the odd vanguard, and also, till about just 2 years back, some old american iron like dodges and plymouth savoys.

The landmasters and similar cars would run the matador engine, while bigger cars used the perkins 6 cyl engine!!

The one that takes the cake was a 1956 dodge kingsway i found last month with a Kirloskar engine!!!
Do start photographing these relics, there arent many places where they still run. Mahabaleshwar for example has completely dried up.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:57   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
for those interested in picking the pontiac up, there was a phone number written on a paper stuck on the steering titled "for Sale". I did not take down the number. You might want to check out if this number can lead you to the owner.
could u post the contact no on the forum or pm me the contact no plz!
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Saw this today. Also notice the car in the background has still not moved.
This is bandra right Cyrus? i remember posting a picture of the VW @ the back! is is still there have not been that side for a while!

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th May 2008 at 12:49. Reason: Merged.
Old 30th May 2008, 13:47   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Saw this Pontiac rusting away in Goa. Looks like it has been discarded recently.

Not blanking out number plates since the car is lying in scrapyard.

Note from the Support Staff: Please don't use external image hosting websites in future.
Any news about this? any contacts made with owner anyone ?
cheers....
Old 31st May 2008, 00:20   #1254

Gogi bhai. This is the one i smsd you about.

These are a few pictures i took on my trip to goa!!

Can anyone tell me what the first car is? Dad insits that it is an Opel Cadet Station wagon. Also spotted- 2 MERCEDES 116. Was in the bus so coudnt click. 1 Mercedes 123 and 1 mercedes 115 (at least that is what it appeared to be.)
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc01980.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc01996.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02026.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02027.jpg  

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 31st May 2008 at 00:22.
Old 31st May 2008, 00:29   #1255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
That pontiac really is restorable.From the photograph it does not look comletely rotten. But, I am sure once the restoration job is done it can be a complete stunner. How can we get spares for these cars, I mean how can we get them imported??

Are you interested in a 1958 Chevrolet BelAir. It needs a lot of body work and body trimmings. Rings are now being changed on the engine and new brake linings and washer have been fixed. Mohaan
Old 31st May 2008, 00:39   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Wow Cyrus, that's a good find, i can see a fintail in there, what are the details??
Old 31st May 2008, 00:41   #1257

The fintail is in Panaji. The other mercs are near a garage around 6-7 kms from the LEELA
Old 31st May 2008, 01:02   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Found this for you guys. What car is it. Badge says chevrolet
1946 Chevrolet Fleetmaster
Old 31st May 2008, 01:13   #1259
BANNED

Cyrus,

Its nice fun snooping about to take pics of such cars.

Long time i've been on such trip.
Old 31st May 2008, 01:22   #1260

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Cyrus,

Its nice fun snooping about to take pics of such cars.

Long time i've been on such trip.
i was quite lucky with the Merc actually. We were suppossed to go for a cruise and i told my mom that i was going for a walk. And i almost missed this but there was a padmini in the same compound so i saw this. Also notice the beetle next to it. Was shooed away by some lady before i could take more pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks