Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2007, 10:08   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
It looks like a 40s model, is it a Ford V8 or a Desoto...?
Thats a 46/7 Ford Super/deluxe Fordor Sedan, offered with a V8 or a straight 6.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 8th September 2007 at 10:11.
Old 8th September 2007, 10:19   #527
Senior - BHPian

Ok, thanks for the info.!
Uh, you did see the VW microbus as well....?
Old 8th September 2007, 14:44   #528
Senior - BHPian

Austin seven in a garage at the same place (pudhupet)......this is one of 3 cars owned by the garage owner there, one is with an AP regn., fully restored, another (in front of this one) to be restored...

Incidentally, *phew* glad I'm finally able to post images again!
Old 8th September 2007, 14:52   #529
BHPian

The other day, I came across this vintage classis rusting and in a very bad state. I went inside to check if they were going to dispose it, spoke to the watchman and he said there were almost 50 people coming every month wanting to buy and the owner declined to sell.

I insisted to speak to the owner, who happens to be a reputed transporter, handles a fleet of buses and trucks. Spoke to him and he too declined to sell and wanted to restore and keep it in his farm house. Dont know when he is going to do this since the car has deteriorated and in a very bad shape,

Though was not a big fan of antiques initially, have developed a keen interest of reading this section.

By the way what make is this, I hope the images will show up clearly as they were taken by a mobile phone.

I have a few more classics pics being restored and I shall post them in the evening.

Old 8th September 2007, 15:07   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im still quite sure about the grille. All flying Standards sported them. Will confirm with the club though.
have confirmed with the Standard Motor Club Speedy, the grille has been modified like I said.

I quote from Phil Homer's email (the webmaster)
"The grille surround is right but the vertical slats have been replaced by a simple metal mesh, so it is not correct."

Cheers
Karl
Old 8th September 2007, 15:08   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, looks like imageshack's being nice to me again for the time being! 'been able to upload atleast one pic. atlast!
Could someone tell me what car this is? Saw it at the scrapyard in Pudhupet, Madras during my trip there the other day.
It looks like a 40s model, is it a Ford V8 or a Desoto...? The front part is totally missing!

Shyam, This is how the car would have looked when new. A 46 Ford Super/Tudor.

Last edited by V-16 : 8th September 2007 at 15:11. Reason: add
Old 8th September 2007, 15:38   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
have confirmed with the Standard Motor Club Speedy, the grille has been modified like I said.

"The grille surround is right but the vertical slats have been replaced by a simple metal mesh, so it is not correct."

Cheers
Karl
thanks karl like i had said maybe the wire mesh was fitted or made. so now i know it was the wrong one.

stanher poor old ford missing half its self and the front of the VW van, man what a pity. now they would come in use as decorative pieces for the garage. wow what an idea! did you manage to get more pictures of the austins?
Old 8th September 2007, 20:42   #533
Senior - BHPian

@ srisha, that looks like a 50's savoy to me.. Too bad the owner wont sell tho.. i think he'l be taking it to his grave..
Old 8th September 2007, 21:06   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
stanher poor old ford missing half its self and the front of the VW van, man what a pity. now they would come in use as decorative pieces for the garage. wow what an idea! did you manage to get more pictures of the austins?
Yes I did but the other 2 dont qualify for this thread!
I'm posting pics. of the one to be restored in this other thread, check 'em out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post557652

And yeah, speaking of decorative pieces, one of the scrap shops there had the front panels of a 56-57 fiat elegant & a Super select, both with the original front grilles completely intact (although with padmini sidelights!) alongwith an old amby one as well, put up at the top of their shop entrance as signs!! However the grilles sadly seemed to be gradually tarnished/rusty probably due to being exposed up there in the open, coastal/humid air so long!
Old 8th September 2007, 21:20   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
The other day, I came across this vintage classis rusting and in a very bad state.
By the way what make is this, I hope the images will show up clearly as they were taken by a mobile phone.

Welcome to the club Srisha! Glad to have one more person who's 'converted' to our lot!
This is a Plymouth Savoy, '56 model (going by the longer & more prominent tail-fins, as opposed to the previous model year's 'blunt' ones).....I first mistook it for a Desoto but later noticed the Plymouth ship (in which the first piligrms had sailed to America) monogram on the bonnet.....what a pity the owner's let it go likethis & still doesnt want to sell! I hope he changes his mind (although not to the extent of giving it to the scrapwala!)...

Gogi bhai: Thanks for the further clarification.....what a pity bout how the Ford's turned out! 'wonder why on earth they chopped the car in half though! Could it be for some eccentric ad (there was a tamil one on TV in which they showed a very original M.minor in half!)

Last edited by Stanher : 8th September 2007 at 21:23.
Old 8th September 2007, 21:42   #536
BHPian

Standard Grill

Quote:

Cheers
Karl

Thanks Karl ,

Should have known better than to doubt your eagle eye.

The car should have a US_ number plate if anybody sights the restored Standard .
Old 8th September 2007, 22:34   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
wonder why on earth they chopped the car in half though! Could it be for some eccentric ad (there was a tamil one on TV in which they showed a very original M.minor in half!)
I found this pic online sometime back, (no idea where). I assume they were chopped for the ad you speak of. Wonder if its 2 cars or one.

Old 8th September 2007, 22:47   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to the club Srisha! Glad to have one more person who's 'converted' to our lot!
This is a Plymouth Savoy, '56 model (going by the longer & more prominent tail-fins, as opposed to the previous model year's 'blunt' ones).....I first mistook it for a Desoto but later noticed the Plymouth ship (in which the first piligrms had sailed to America) monogram on the bonnet.....what a pity the owner's let it go likethis & still doesnt want to sell! I hope he changes his mind (although not to the extent of giving it to the scrapwala!)
Strange. Hunting through my archives I found pics of same car I had earlier seen on the forum itself, in the same condition. If I remember right, Shyam you had posted them yourself. Am I right?
Old 8th September 2007, 22:59   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found this pic online sometime back, (no idea where). I assume they were chopped for the ad you speak of. Wonder if its 2 cars or one.

Yup thats the one.....I saw the pics. in someone's album at flickr.com....I saw only one car used in the ad.....I guess (& hope!) it was only one car & they painted the other half for the ad...?
Old 8th September 2007, 23:02   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I remember right, Shyam you had posted them yourself. Am I right?
Uh, nope I dont recall posting pics. of this car.....
'first time I'm seeing this one.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks