Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2007, 20:51   #436
Senior - BHPian

aaahhh the familiar interiors of a 115 ....gogi why dont you post an obituary for the dead black one...
Old 29th August 2007, 21:11   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Sacre Bleu!! This is sacrilege. Even tough she was not all original (the padmini rims, hub caps, carb, side lights, no air filter, etc) but was restorable ...What A Pity!!
The grille looks like brand new.
Yeah I guess she could've been restored (although the doors were all rusted, even the floorboards were to some extent).....but it made no difference to the scrappers! And the trouble is they try to take advantage of anyone who comes forwrad to buy any car from them- the rarer the car the more they try to make a bakra out of you!
The grille is ok, not as good as it looks here (photos can really fool! )....got it for Karl.
Old 29th August 2007, 21:35   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Speedy which films did you see the chevy in?
The fiat has been chopped not into a convertable but a pick-up truck!
I'd seen a similar example in yellow & green, used for advertising purposes here....last saw it abandoned (seemed so!) in another aprt of the city.....I'd even known a 2-door Herald with this type of chop job (& much as I hate to say this, it did look quite good!), around 5-6 years ago. Last heard he'd plonked a diesel engine into it & was using it to carry water barrels......!
hi stanher, i have seen the car in live and spoken to the owner of the chevy like pointed out it has come in music videos and more used to shoot films in car chase seens. it has no back seat and the camera if fitted there. the car can be seen quite close to crepe station bandra in bombay.
the fiat i said is chopped not to a convertible but just chopped it is clearly seen it is made into a goods carrier. pity it.
your heart must have skipped a beat seeing a herald in that condition. i would have wept and to add insult to injury you carry water in it.
Old 29th August 2007, 21:42   #439

personally i don think the 1100 is worth restoring..look at the front portion of the car.this car was definately in an accident..also the side trim is not original as in the original the trim does not extend to the back of the car as it does in this case.also the rims are from the padmini..the bumpers are gone and are beyond repair[u can get a set though]..but the nost noticable point is that it does not have the original lights that the 54-57 models had..if you remember correctly, they had small lights with u different light ring..this has the lights which came from the select onwards..the same lights of the select infact as the light trim is from the select
Old 29th August 2007, 22:09   #440
Senior - BHPian

i agree just six months ago my friend bought a 2nd owner 1962 car in bombay for 25,000 rs there was very little bodywork, needed original meters, hubcaps etc but managed to buy all that for under 5000 rupees, the car is now in the garage for restoration.
Old 29th August 2007, 22:42   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
your heart must have skipped a beat seeing a herald in that condition. i would have wept and to add insult to injury you carry water in it.
Yeah buddy......now that you mention it! I still remember when I first saw that car at an automobile electrician's where I used to go, it'd come just after it'd been altered then...I did think it really a sad thing to do as the car was reasonably complete (although dash was padded up in velvet cloth with some wild design that made an african jungle look more pleasing- so were the seats & the ceiling! ) & bodily quite tidy (although later was ruined with a shabby tinkering/paint job!)......if I remember right the rear seat was taken off & the roof was cut short just after the front seats where the B-post should've been & the C-posts were welded on there with the rear windscrene intact....I remember the electrician there was putting on fiat tail-lamps & parking lights onto it then...
I later even took a couple of pics. of it (non-digi).......should have them in my old y! photos folder online.....will see....
Old 29th August 2007, 22:51   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
personally i don think the 1100 is worth restoring..look at the front portion of the car.this car was definately in an accident...the bumpers are gone and are beyond repair
Cyrus, as I'd stated while posting the pic., the front bumper had been damaged because the car had been towed all the way down there; most of them are brought to that place this way (if not immediately driveable), towed by a hired jeep with a thick broad metal bar clamped at the front (to the balance rod of the car) & to the back of the jeep.....they must prefer this to a rope/chain so the car doesnt hit the rear of their vehicle while towing! They dont care of course the damage this does to the bumper/front end of the car!
I'd seen a number of such fiats there, with damaged front bumpers.....what a waste!
And yes, your right about the non-original stuff on the car....still, I took all the side-pattis as I need them for my delight till I can get hold of an original set from bombay!

Last edited by Stanher : 29th August 2007 at 22:56.
Old 30th August 2007, 00:30   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
aaahhh the familiar interiors of a 115 ....gogi why dont you post an obituary for the dead black one...
Oh ok! although I cant sleep thinking that the guy scrapped it after making a deal with me?? Amol, I think the car is still there, is it?
Well, the story goes that The Mole put me on to a car which was lying around for years due to neglect. The Mole (Amol) belongs to our kind of club who would try to even restore junk just to give it a new lease of life, provided its worth it and not exorbitant.
This pre 1975 220D was a rust bucket but I decided to restore it. The price was decided but........
Got exited and even planned everything till I learnt it was sold to a local mechanic who was wanting to sell it to the scrapper and wanted his pound of flesh in the bargain. Learning how unreasonable this whole exercise would be I gave up...with a heavy heart but i think it was worth giving up. Later We learnt that there are no papers for the car etc, etc. The Mole being the brave heart that he is then wanted to step in and take over. He took a lot of convincing that the new price quoted was not only unreasonable, it was stupid and then a visit to my body shop guy convinced him that this was going to be a not so feasible project.
If its not Resting in peaces now it will sure be soon. RIP O great 115. At least The Mole and me would sleep better knowing in our hearts that we tried

I am just dumb founded. The interiors were still good but the engine which I realize now would need a lot of work or even replacement. Certain parts had rusted so badly that they were almost like brown paper. Guess some decisions should be taken with the Mind and not the heart but then can we help it, if its almost always the other way around...
Old 30th August 2007, 00:40   #444
BHPian

Gogi, in the first pics the car looks perfect from front (Looks can be Deciving) but then looking at the other pics you can make out that the car is in pretty bad shape,would have to pour in a lot of money to get it in shape, but then it make no sense when the car doesnt have any papers ..
Old 30th August 2007, 00:46   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Gogi, in the first pics the car looks perfect from front (Looks can be Deciving) but then looking at the other pics you can make out that the car is in pretty bad shape,would have to pour in a lot of money to get it in shape, but then it make no sense when the car doesnt have any papers ..
You said it. The car looks worse that it is. It was atleast 20 times more corroded than it appears here. But what got to me was the cheek of the mechanic trying to offer it to me again for an over-elevated price. #@!&@#!!
Absolutely not worth it anywhere near his price. So win some you loose some.Thats the story.
Old 30th August 2007, 00:54   #446
Senior - BHPian

That's beyond salvage man! Thank God either of you did not get dragged into this project boys! It would have been a nightmare to restore this one.
Old 30th August 2007, 00:58   #447
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly Ishan. You have seen what my Body shop guy is capable of so if the price was right, i asure you, altough it would be a tad bit overpriced, this car would be standing tall by now gettin her bits and pieces together. I had spoken to my guy and shown him the car and you know he loves a challenge , what, my Fiat was 10 times worse than this. But what the mechanic wanted was highway robbery. Anyway its all gone...for the best I suppose. And to top it all no papers....??!!
Old 30th August 2007, 01:05   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
You said it. The car looks worse that it is. It was atleast 20 times more corroded than it appears here. But what got to me was the cheek of the mechanic trying to offer it to me again for an over-elevated price. #@!&@#!!
Absolutely not worth it anywhere near his price. So win some you loose some.Thats the story.
yes,at first look the car appears to be intact,but a little closer view shows it all...i dont think the car is worth buying at all (like you said).cant believe a mechanic tried to fool you that is really bad atleast as a mechanic he should have understood....he was trying to play emotional games with you...taking the advantage of your love for benz

but anyway i am glad you came up with the right option
and waiting to see your merc restoration(that you have already undertaken) get complited and see the perfect car in flesh
in our country you will always find better projects for sure,a better place to spend money and more important cars to restore

Last edited by AMATMO : 30th August 2007 at 01:07.
Old 30th August 2007, 01:05   #449
Senior - BHPian

No papers? No Bodywork? (literally) and on top of that he wants a nice ransom for it? Gogi, why didn't you give him a bout of some nice butt-kicking? He deserved it!

This car would be restorable if it was available for peanuts but at an inflated price it was right to do what you guys did.
Old 30th August 2007, 01:28   #450
Senior - BHPian

gogi bhai my condolences for the 115 may its soul rest in peace or peices.
cant you get new papers made for the car?
i'm sure there must be some way of saveing it. check with the scrappers when the car goes there you could get it cheaper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks