Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2013, 19:20   #4441
Senior - BHPian

Look ma what I found in Amchi Mumbai and that even bang on western expressway.
I presume some members may know her too.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image1511572733.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image2751192277.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image960722374.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image3825767528.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image3703546928.jpg

I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT ITS SALE PROSPECTS

Raab rakha
ariesonu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 21:28   #4442
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Look ma what I found in Amchi Mumbai and that even bang on western expressway.
I presume some members may know her too.

I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT ITS SALE PROSPECTS

Raab rakha
It looks totally unwanted by its owners and is slowly becoming a garbage bin. What a pity? Surely, as it is located in Mumbai, prospective customers must have approached the owner but the usual lines "mujhe gaadi nahi bechna hai.... usko repair karna hain.."must have been said an umpteen number of times.
The car's condition indicates this, but who knows? I may be wrong too !
Old 19th May 2013, 07:20   #4443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
It looks totally unwanted by its owners and is slowly becoming a garbage bin. What a pity? Surely, as it is located in Mumbai, prospective customers must have approached the owner but the usual lines "mujhe gaadi nahi bechna hai.... usko repair karna hain.."must have been said an umpteen number of times.
The car's condition indicates this, but who knows? I may be wrong too !
You are actually very right Anjan. This time the reason is even more sentimental "Yeh meri Maa ki aakhri nishani hai" AKA "This is my mothers most precious and lasting memory"
67Bug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 18:12   #4444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
that Black dukkar Fiat wont last long there at the scrap yard, these guys clean such vintage cars quickly so that they can sell the expensive parts. If someone's intersted, make sure you go there soon.
It's been a week.

Today i saw that they have cleaned it, literally, and now all spic and span, sits after her seemingly daily wash in the middle of the road, waiting for the rescue.
Maybe because I asked about her owner and took the pics, they live in hope.

Is no one interested in a project car?
Old 22nd May 2013, 00:58   #4445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
A neglected Yezdi in C.R.Park, New Delhi.
Are only cars saved here any Delhi members here who could save this who has interest in motorcycles or if someone does it for me would pay for his efforts.
Old 22nd May 2013, 07:24   #4446
Senior - BHPian

Most of the vehicles are better off being used as salvage to keep already running models running, picking up one of these and restoring them is going to be a herculean task, in the end, there is a reason why these beautiful vehicles are left to rust-in-pieces
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:15   #4447
BHPian

I wouldnt be restoring it but need this for parts, restoring one yezdi at the moment so in need of many parts .
Old 15th June 2013, 23:24   #4448
Distinguished - BHPian

Sighted these in Kolkata. the Ambassadors though with some modern 1990's like aluminum painted wheel discs and a 1990's front grille are actually very old Mark 4's.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dscn0041a.jpg
Old 17th June 2013, 00:33   #4449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sighted these in Kolkata. the Ambassadors though with some modern 1990's like aluminum painted wheel discs and a 1990's front grille are actually very old Mark 4's.
Could be a deluxe version (looking at the grille). The question is did this version came with painted rims?
amit V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 01:17   #4450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post

Could be a deluxe version (looking at the grille). The question is did this version came with painted rims?
I believe all Ambassadors came with painted rims ! In 50s - 60s , Landmasters and Ambassadors all had chrome hub caps which slowly disappeared and we were treated to naked rims with wheel lugs visible. This was also when beautiful Smith instruments were replaced with ugly black instruments and three lights, also disappeared were the horn rim and the turn indicator stub on the horn button. More butchering was on the way. I have yet to understand as to why and how HM, having acquired all
designs, dies and technical know- how, failed to retain the very basic characteristics of the Morris Oxford plateform. Here we are to look at the paint on the rim of a grand old lady and call it a Deluxe feature ! Molded plastic took place of the fine, padded edging of the original dash, column shift became 4 on the floor with a diesel motor that did zero to sixty in a minute at best. Now we have these cars used as VIP transport ( not VVIP or VVVIP - they get to ride in BMWs) with flags, blue lights and overloaded with bullet proof glass and armour plating , all with. 1800 cc Isuzu motor. Bring back the old Amby, loved that car. How they make a hatch back out of that remains to be seen. We have seen similar fate hit many beautiful, reliable, respected and loved cars in the US where change for the sake of change killed them. Chevy Nova ( 60s), Dodge Dart & Plymouth Duster (70s), Rambler (70s) , Ford Fairlane (70s) and Pontiac Tempest, Oldmobile Cutlass (70s) are some examples .
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 12:37   #4451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
I believe all Ambassadors came with painted rims.........................We have seen similar fate hit many beautiful, reliable, respected and loved cars in the US where change for the sake of change killed them. Chevy Nova ( 60s), Dodge Dart & Plymouth Duster (70s), Rambler (70s) , Ford Fairlane (70s) and Pontiac Tempest, Oldmobile Cutlass (70s) are some examples .
Hi, your post is a bit sentimental. You are right, HM got all the dies. But dies wear out. And people like to have new looks every now and then. And when the Landmaster/Amby came in, it was already dated. When Premier and HM did not bring out changes, people started modifying these cars just for a new look. Some designs where quite pleasing, others horrible.
Regarding the American cars you mention, they were basically gas guzzlers and that had to change when the oil crisis started. Therefore cars needed some changes to be made, one change was to make cars lighter. So cars were down sized, plastic introduced. In fact when these policies started and gas became expensive, good muscle cars were available for a song, literally. We always yearn for the good old days, but they are not always practical, just image if those yearning for the good old days of the Amby and Fiat get their wish. It could become a nightmare.

Cheers harit
Old 17th June 2013, 20:01   #4452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amit for the question. Actually these are Mark 4's from the early days (1979-82) that I had earlier seen in their original shades viz. Oxford blue, parrot green, shell white and so on. These were later repainted and used for many years. The repainting jobs have made them appear thus.And the front grille has been changed to give the 1990's look.
The wheel rims and even the square, front parking light are of the old kind and their dashboards have the speedo plus two gauge configuration and not the speedo plus four configuration of the then Deluxe versions.
These are not deluxe versions but have been made to outwardly look as such, due to later jobs.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th June 2013 at 20:23.
Old 18th June 2013, 00:01   #4453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amit for the question. Actually these are Mark 4's from the early days (1979-82) that I had earlier seen in their original shades viz. Oxford blue, parrot green, shell white and so on. These were later repainted and used for many years. The repainting jobs have made them appear thus.And the front grille has been changed to give the 1990's look.
The wheel rims and even the square, front parking light are of the old kind and their dashboards have the speedo plus two gauge configuration and not the speedo plus four configuration of the then Deluxe versions.
These are not deluxe versions but have been made to outwardly look as such, due to later jobs.
This clearly shows that these are early std. Mark 4s. Thanks for the info.
Old 18th June 2013, 00:17   #4454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amit,

Deluxe version 1979-82 came with body colour painted rims. We had bought a Amby Mark 4 deluxe - from the showroom in April 1982. Another thing, if I recall correctly, few colours like Oxford Blue were available only in Deluxe version. Ours was Oxford Blue. I had posted the picture in "Family Car pictures"(post 2453 I think). That car was with us until 1988 October.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 18th June 2013 at 00:20.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 09:42   #4455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Amit,

Deluxe version 1979-82 came with body colour painted rims. We had bought a Amby Mark 4 deluxe - from the showroom in April 1982. Another thing, if I recall correctly, few colours like Oxford Blue were available only in Deluxe version. Ours was Oxford Blue. I had posted the picture in "Family Car pictures"(post 2453 I think). That car was with us until 1988 October.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Typically with Government vehicles atleast in Maharashtra, if there is no budget available for new cars, they happen to spend even more amount in getting them repaired. During these repairs they happen to add the new features available. This might be a reason why the cars are seen manifesting the features available on later variants.

Abhijeet

Most Viewed