Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 08:26   #4336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
A JAWA 250 bike I'm seeing for the first time. Guru's please id. it.

Attachment 1044337

Attachment 1044338
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
amitV8 - This seems to be some trash custom job on the Jawa. I'm sure the factory never made something so hideous!
+ 1 to what PW has said above. This seem to have been a sad atempt by some one to make a Cafe Racer out of Jawa.

But the bike seems to be in a reasonable nick and may be a good candidate for a resto job.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 29th January 2013, 11:48   #4337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki9559 View Post
@ajay99 Where exactly is this located? Is it for sale? I have been looking for a 61 Chevy for a very long time.
It is not for sale. This was located in the border area near Walayar.
Old 29th January 2013, 18:27   #4338
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this rusted Beetle on a flat bed yesterday at Juhu. At first I thought that the car was sent to be scrapped - but then why would someone take the trouble of putting it on a flatbed. Also, the car also had an additional roof which could be used for the restoration. The driver of the flatbed also confirmed that the car is not going to be scrapped.

Does this car belong to any Team-BHPian?
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-beetle.jpg  

v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 12:09   #4339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Spotted this rusted Beetle on a flat bed yesterday at Juhu. At first I thought that the car was sent to be scrapped - but then why would someone take the trouble of putting it on a flatbed. Also, the car also had an additional roof which could be used for the restoration. The driver of the flatbed also confirmed that the car is not going to be scrapped.

Does this car belong to any Team-BHPian?
The car left our garage where she was stored till the owner could manage to get a slot free at the worskshop where he wants to have it restored. The car is not going to be scrapped but will be restored.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 23:07   #4340
Senior - BHPian

Here's what looks like the remains of a 1947 Chevrolet (flatbed?) Truck I saw yesterday. 'was able to recognise it only by the dashboard, which (and the steering wheel) is all that remains of it!

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130205-14.35.05.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130205-14.34.42.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130205-14.34.46.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130205-14.34.55.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 6th February 2013 at 23:11.
Old 8th February 2013, 14:57   #4341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here's what looks like the remains of a 1947 Chevrolet (flatbed?) Truck I saw yesterday. 'was able to recognise it only by the dashboard, which (and the steering wheel) is all that remains of it!
Hi Shyam,

Carry a spanner & remove that steering and bring it home.

Raab rakha.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th February 2013 at 15:43. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 11th February 2013, 14:49   #4342
BHPian

The remnants of the cab are certainly Chev but the dash board is a sedan part . The engine is most certainly Not Chev and the Chassis could possibly be WW2 Studebaker 6x6 minus one of the axles .It doesn't look like any Chevy i have worked on . Were there any ID marks on the engine?
The ports on the head are the wrong side of the engine for a Chevy.
Old 11th February 2013, 23:56   #4343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
The remnants of the cab are certainly Chev but the dash board is a sedan part . The engine is most certainly Not Chev and the Chassis could possibly be WW2 Studebaker 6x6 minus one of the axles .It doesn't look like any Chevy i have worked on . Were there any ID marks on the engine?
The ports on the head are the wrong side of the engine for a Chevy.
Sorry didnt check out the engine in too much detail to spot the ID number! It could be a local make Diesel engine for that natter, as many of these old yank trucks (and even cars) in India were 'Dieselised' eventually due to difficulty with spares for the original engines as well as fuel mileage.
The dash I have seen is the same on other Chevy trucks of '40s Vintage though. Here's another 40s Chevy minibus with the same kind of dash from what I can make out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1304197

Plus one more truck with such a dash I found on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_t_in_dc/4762580136/

And for now, here's a dead early Standard 20 Van I saw while in Madras yesterday. 'was told it belonged to the Electricity board. Looks like its been there for years and is falling apart courtesy of the madras climate! Hard to find these there, even in this state, these days!

PS: Sorry these were taken with my mobile!

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130210-13.57.531.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130210-13.58.151.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130210-13.58.301.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130210-13.59.151.jpg
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 00:05   #4344
BHPian

This one has been parked outside my apartment complex for a really long time. The guard told me it belongs to one of the residents.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130212_000514.png
Views: 3227
Size:  573.9 KB
AbhishekB86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 00:37   #4345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
This one has been parked outside my apartment complex for a really long time. The guard told me it belongs to one of the residents.
Oh wow, an early Herald! Quite a pity! And the regn. seems to be a MS (Madras) one. But since the plate is white, the car seems to have been in use til recently.

Any other pics. such as the interior etc. if possible??
Old 12th February 2013, 02:18   #4346
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry didnt check out the engine in too much detail to spot the ID number! It could be a local make Diesel engine for that natter, as many of these old yank trucks (and even cars) in India were 'Dieselised' eventually due to difficulty with spares for the original engines as well as fuel mileage.
The dash I have seen is the same on other Chevy trucks of '40s Vintage though. Here's another 40s Chevy minibus with the same kind of dash from what I can make out:
Actually the pics are pretty good. my own phone has a higher resolution than my Canon Camera... i can see now about the dash,you are right. A lot of the early 40's Chevys and GMC 's I worked on were flat dash US military pattern trucks. I would swap in a diesel too as the early Chevy six with it's splash fed big end bearings were not up to the rigors of hard work. Would I be right in thinking those 1940 Chev trucks were ex military units in India ?. The cut back front fenders certainly look like the type on most military pattern GM trucks.
Old 12th February 2013, 02:22   #4347
BHPian

Quote:
Oh wow, an early Herald! Quite a pity! And the regn. seems to be a MS (Madras) one. But since the plate is white, the car seems to have been in use til recently.

Any other pics. such as the interior etc. if possible??
Yes sir, completely possible. Shall click interior pics and others angles for you tomorrow and post.
Old 12th February 2013, 03:29   #4348
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1049880
Very sad too see the state of this car. And look, this car has those rare parking lamps .
Old 12th February 2013, 11:32   #4349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1049880
Is there a possiblity of the owner being willing to part with this car..?
Old 12th February 2013, 23:17   #4350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
I would swap in a diesel too as the early Chevy six with it's splash fed big end bearings were not up to the rigors of hard work. Would I be right in thinking those 1940 Chev trucks were ex military units in India ?. The cut back front fenders certainly look like the type on most military pattern GM trucks.
Yes these trucks would certainly be ex-US military from WW2 as were many LHD WW2 Ford/Willys Jeeps that were left behind in India after the war ended.

Anyways, here's another pic. of the truck that I missed out earlier! The other side of the engine block can be seen here, hope it looks clear enough!

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130205-14.35.15.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Very sad too see the state of this car. And look, this car has those rare parking lamps .
Indeed those are (remnants of) the early parking lamps. 'hope it still has the original dash intact too. Also I can figure out the number as MSW.

Incidentally karl (karlosdeville)'s grandfather had a '62 Herald that was MSW 7662.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks