Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:27   #4276
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by avneeshj View Post
This car is owned by a friend of mine. The car is in Nagpur and from what he has told me, it's a Fiat 2100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
It looka like a Fiat 2300 to me more than a 2100. 2100 never had twin lamps Afaik. Btw where is this car located. Also there is one brown fiat 147 in good condition lying at a garage near Ghat Road, Nagpur.
This one is parked at a garage in Mount Road, Sadar area. Actually, about 7 years back, the Oxford blue paint work was quite visible, but its all rust now. It was in a much better shape then.
Time takes its toll ! After all, time is the best healer too !
Old 6th November 2012, 14:35   #4277
BHPian

Hi,

While i was looking for a Morris Minor, i was led to this one, one late friday evening. Apologize for the image quality, picture taken from phone with headlights at work.

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-06022012.jpg  

Old 19th November 2012, 16:54   #4278
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this car , rotting in bylanes of jaipur, what model is it?
sadly this is the only picture I could take with my phone, if this is worth saving, I can try to find out more about it.

cheers
Kartik
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img00807201211111604.jpg  

KartikeyaL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 17:02   #4279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Spotted this car , rotting in bylanes of jaipur, what model is it?
sadly this is the only picture I could take with my phone, if this is worth saving, I can try to find out more about it.

cheers
Kartik
The famous Sipani Badal!!
rmonie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 17:20   #4280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
The famous Sipani Badal!!
this car is cute looking and a three wheeler ! a famous amitabh-dharmendra song " ik rasta do rahee" from Ram-Balram prominently features this car.
Old 20th November 2012, 17:06   #4281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
this car is cute looking and a three wheeler ! a famous amitabh-dharmendra song " ik rasta do rahee" from Ram-Balram prominently features this car.
For your info,your city still has more than 2 running Sipani Badals
Old 20th November 2012, 18:16   #4282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
For your info,your city still has more than 2 running Sipani Badals
Badal cars and still running???????? O.M.G. As far as I know in those days when these cars were made they were driven down to their dealers in all corners of India from Bangalore. Means these cars were driven to jaipur from Bangalore.?
Old 20th November 2012, 19:24   #4283
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Not Sipani Badal. It was a Sunrise Badal.
The original name of the company was Sunrise Automotive Industries Ltd. The British manufacturer Reliant, helped Mr. SRK Sipani set up a company in Bangalore called Sunrise Automotive Industries Ltd. (SAIL) in 1974.

The fibre-glass bodied Badal was based on Reliant’s 3 wheeled Robin. The Badal was produced from 1975 to 1980 -- the years I was in engineering college. I have traveled in Badal taxis in Pune, Bangalore and Mangalore. In 1978, the company changed its name to Sipani motors.

The Sunrise Badal had a rear mounted 198cc single cylinder 2-stroke engine of Italian manufacture with a 4 speed constant-mesh gearbox. Brakes were on the real wheels only. The four passenger body had 3 doors, two for the front seats and one for the rear, on the kerbside.

In 1981, Sipani replaced the Badal with the four-wheeled Dolphin, based on the Reliant Kitten.

Both, Badal and Dolphin had 10-inch “soup plate” British Leyland Mini-like wheels.

The company Sunrise renamed as Sipani renamed as Maestro had the dubious distinction, that every model they produced over a 25-year period was a failure!
Ram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 20:14   #4284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The original name of the company was Sunrise Automotive Industries Ltd. The British manufacturer Reliant, helped Mr. SRK Sipani set up a company in Bangalore called Sunrise Automotive Industries Ltd. (SAIL) in 1974.

The fibre-glass bodied Badal was based on Reliant’s 3 wheeled Robin. The Badal was produced from 1975 to 1980 -- the years I was in engineering college. I have traveled in Badal taxis in Pune, Bangalore and Mangalore. In 1978, the company changed its name to Sipani motors.

The Sunrise Badal had a rear mounted 198cc single cylinder 2-stroke engine of Italian manufacture with a 4 speed constant-mesh gearbox. Brakes were on the real wheels only. The four passenger body had 3 doors, two for the front seats and one for the rear, on the kerbside.

In 1981, Sipani replaced the Badal with the four-wheeled Dolphin, based on the Reliant Kitten.

Both, Badal and Dolphin had 10-inch “soup plate” British Leyland Mini-like wheels.

The company Sunrise renamed as Sipani renamed as Maestro had the dubious distinction, that every model they produced over a 25-year period was a failure!
The Dolphin was followed by the Montana and later by the Sipan-D1(Diesel),Till a few years ago one could see SipaniD1 (4 door) cars lying abandoned.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:04   #4285
Senior - BHPian

They also produced the Rover Montego for a time right ? Now that was a nice car
Old 21st November 2012, 11:00   #4286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
They also produced the Rover Montego for a time right ? Now that was a nice car
They only imported the Rover, again [see below] as semi knocked down kits. It was sold at Rs 12,000,000/- [twelve Lakhs] and was the most expensive car on the Indian roads at that time!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post

The original name of the company was Sunrise Automotive Industries Ltd.
This is correct hence the badge SAIL on the front of the Badal.

The British manufacturer Reliant, helped Mr. SRK Sipani set up a company in Bangalore called Sunrise Automotive Industries Ltd. (SAIL) in 1974.

Reliant did not have anything to do with SAIL in the initial stages. Nor was the Badal based on the Relaint Robin. The Badal had the Engine/Chassis from the Innocenti 200cc luggage carrier, imported as semi knocked down kits and the first body was made of metal with a rounded look. Around 50 or 60 were made like this. It was then decided to make the body out of fiber glass and this was done by FRP Ltd Bgl who made the first few bodies and then made the final molds for SAIL.

The Dolphin started off by comming in as kit cars, fully imported. Then the body's were made here and running gear/engine imported till the D1.

Actualy not quite a failure but due to lack of support from the company and a very poor service record the Dolphin did not really take off.

Last edited by Collector : 21st November 2012 at 11:02.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:18   #4287
Senior - BHPian

And the Montego was Diesel so was an instant hit.....are they any still around

The Dolphin was a favourite of the ralley boys at one time with its light weight and engine that was open to tuning and its RWD configuration

Last edited by wasif : 21st November 2012 at 11:24.
Old 21st November 2012, 13:55   #4288
BHPian

There are quite a few Montegos still running in Coimbatore.Including the one I own. But getting spares is a devilish hard job. I waited 7 months to get the brake pads.I need to rebuild the engine and am in the process of getting together the parts required
Collector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 14:52   #4289
Senior - BHPian

Put up some pictures of your Montego
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:25   #4290
BHPian

Found this dodge coronet at shivaji nagar , bangalore. there were couple of morrs in near completed and to be restore d condition. it"s opposite ramada hotel. BTW the dodge is rescued frm thr and is with me under restoration
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc06667_2.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc06670.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc06743.jpg  

Nithin.J is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks