Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 21:56   #4066
BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Barring the few happy endings that some restored cars are blessed with, this is without doubt one of the more haunting and morose threads on Team-BHP.

Some of the images are quite disturbing and true car lover can only feel sad for the vehicles whose grim destiny is depicted in the photographs with such starkness.

How can people lay down their vehicles such heartlessly ?

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 24th May 2012 at 22:03.
Old 31st May 2012, 09:23   #4067
BHPian

Spotted this in Trichy, lying adjacent to the Puttur Market. Didnt see this rickshaw move an inch in the 15 days of my stay near there. Though not a car, didnt find an alternate thread where I could post this, so I believe it qualifies here.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-17052012176.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 13:06   #4068
Senior - BHPian

This appeared in today's (31st May 2012) MUMBAI MIRROR copy.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-bmc-001.jpg

Hope we can salvage this beauty in next auction.

Raab rakha.
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:53   #4069
BHPian

I would like members to identify this car, how are parts available to restore this car, it did not have engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag0009.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag0010.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2012, 16:12   #4070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makesh View Post
I would like members to identify this car, how are parts available to restore this car, it did not have engine.
Chevrolet Fleetmaster 1947 or so.
Does it have a gearbox? Suitable engine could be available. Metal is good, not rotten, worthy project.

Cheers harit
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:15   #4071
BHPian

At the risk of sounding ignorant, looks like a 1947 cheverolet fleetmaster. A car which once correctly restored will give you years of driving pleasure. But beware. Restorations of even these fairly common oldies is now fast becoming a nightmare , paucity of parts and good mechanics being the cause. Engines can be sourced , perseverance is needed.
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:34   #4072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Chevrolet Fleetmaster 1947 or so.
Does it have a gearbox? Suitable engine could be available. Metal is good, not rotten, worthy project.

Cheers harit
Thanks Harit, it does have a GB not sure how to get the engine, but body seems to be fine with missing chrome parts and meters.
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:39   #4073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Harit, it does have a GB not sure how to get the engine, but body seems to be fine with missing chrome parts and meters.
Makesh, are you aiming to buy that car? Then send a PM for the engine. Chrome parts can by and large be made, glasses also, hope the rear glass has not been stoned, and this is a hansome classic which lasts very long. Meters you have to search, maybe ebay, or parts dealers in the US.

Cheers harit
Old 2nd June 2012, 23:58   #4074
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
This appeared in today's (31st May 2012) MUMBAI MIRROR copy.
Attachment 934358

Hope we can salvage this beauty in next auction.

Raab rakha.
That car looks FRESH

Sonu bhai, it certainly deserves to be running on roads for another few decades.

Just wish it gets saved ASAP.

Quote:
This car looks very much restorable, yet standing in one piece
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:37   #4075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Harit has identified the car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
At the risk of sounding ignorant, looks like a 1947 cheverolet fleetmaster. A car which once correctly restored will give you years of driving pleasure. But beware. Restorations of even these fairly common oldies is now fast becoming a nightmare , paucity of parts and good mechanics being the cause. Engines can be sourced , perseverance is needed.
Identified by stalwarts.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Makesh, are you aiming to buy that car? Then send a PM for the engine. Chrome parts can by and large be made, glasses also, hope the rear glass has not been stoned, and this is a hansome classic which lasts very long. Meters you have to search, maybe ebay, or parts dealers in the US.
Cheers harit
There, the teambhp is all out for help and its vintage camaraderie shows !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
This car looks very much restorable, yet standing in one piece
True when harit and Pavan say its restorable, it indeed is.

Makesh, there is a thread indeed a beautiful one here for your reference. The car referred there belonged to a very well known person (Roerich family of Bangalore) and was restored from a very pitiable shape.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...eetmaster.html
So go ahead with the job and you will get lots of help and feedbacks here. I find that some of the trims and badges are quite intact. It will need a lot of patience, time and money to do the project. All the best!
Also please start a new thread exclusively for your car.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd June 2012 at 09:38.
Old 4th June 2012, 17:36   #4076
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys, now the real work starts.

How much should I expect to pay for this car?

How much to restore it - no engine, interior, paint, tyres...etc

Any ball park figure would be much appreciated.
Old 4th June 2012, 18:20   #4077
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Makesh

Before you further find out if the RTO Papers in existence and which RTO ?

I suspect the Guru's answers would depend a lot on that as well

All The Best

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 4th June 2012, 18:43   #4078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys, now the real work starts.

How much should I expect to pay for this car?

How much to restore it - no engine, interior, paint, tyres...etc

Any ball park figure would be much appreciated.
Makesh you may be able to get good, running cars in the range of atleast 6 lakhs (and i mean well restored) or so. Again Fleetmasters are not terribly rare but they have a superb road presence. Work your way backward and see if it is worth your while to restore this car.

Restoration costs vary from city to city and a person in Mumbai or Bangalore will never be able to give you an indication of say costs in Coimbatore unless of course you plan to restore it in these cities.

The advantage of taking up a project like this also means you can stagger costs over a 1-2 yr period rather than putting up the 6 lakhs or whatever up front. Whatever decision you make wish you the best and do keep us in the loop.
Old 4th June 2012, 20:09   #4079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Makesh you may be able to get good, running cars in the range of atleast 6 lakhs (and i mean well restored) or so. Again Fleetmasters are not terribly rare but they have a superb road presence. Work your way backward and see if it is worth your while to restore this car.

Restoration costs vary from city to city and a person in Mumbai or Bangalore will never be able to give you an indication of say costs in Coimbatore unless of course you plan to restore it in these cities.

The advantage of taking up a project like this also means you can stagger costs over a 1-2 yr period rather than putting up the 6 lakhs or whatever up front. Whatever decision you make wish you the best and do keep us in the loop.
Well said Amol, once the car reaches a workshop and starts getting opened, one does not know how many cans of worms come out ? The estimates are never true and always multiply, reaching much higher figures.This is because the car's components break, conk off, disintegrate and so on one after the other, once the things get opened.It is all the same with the body parts and the electricals and mechanicals.
I am not out to discourage someone from restoration, but then this is what happens in reality. Despite all these gremlins restoration is quite a mind- soothing job.
Old 5th June 2012, 06:00   #4080
BHPian

Congratulations Makesh , a nice car - easily restorable , parts can still be found in India , if one searches.

"the mole" rightly said a restored car will cost minimum 6 lakhs - for fact a restored car was sold from Lucknow to Mumbai for 5.5 lakhs last year and is presently back in UP for 6 lakhs this April.

To your query regarding costs etc . it will vary with location , each individuals perceptions ( about the extent of restoration ), man management & bargaining skills ; just as a guidance , I would venture the following figures for a frame off restoration leading to a car which is just a wee bit less reliable than a present day car :

Initial Cost Min 40000 Max 75000
Spare Engine Min 30000 Max 45000
Sheet Metal work Min 35000 Max 50000 ( workers on contract )
Sheet Metal Min 10000 Max 20000
Painting Min 20000 Max 30000
Upholstery Min 20000 Max 30000
Mechanicals Min 25000 Max 50000 ( frame off restoration )
Tyres Min 12000 Max 20000
Trims & Chrome Min 20000 Max 30000
Misc/ Incidentals 50000

I would venture a final vehicle and restoration cost between Rs 2,50,000 and Rs 4,00,000

Add another 25,000 to 30,000 for getting the documentation in order , back taxes , re-registration , change of ownership & tax penalties for the intervening years since the registration expired.

Just to clarify - "a wee bit less reliable" - these cars were never driven the way we drive today , as I recollect during my childhood a long distance drive meant - stopping for tea every 50 - 60 miles and getting the bonnet open for topping up the radiator. I can still do a 260 km run with my Fleetmaster in 4 hrs in present day traffic conditions. And I still regularly go up to 70 miles/hr on late night Lucknow drives.

So Happy Restoration ...............just do it!!!

Regards
Chauhan
vintageman is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks