Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2012, 14:02   #4036
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Found this during rider brake service . Have no idea how the roof caved in .Dash seems to be messed up , but still has the original powertrain
Though getting decayed, the car exterior is quite original.The front grille though seems borrowed from the fintail.
With the prices these command, maybe someone will venture and buy this one for restoration.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:02   #4037
BHPian

Quote:
Found this during rider brake service . Have no idea how the roof caved in .Dash seems to be messed up , but still has the original powertrain
What a find Rovergen!
Its a ponton and it would be great if you can share the details of the location or find out anything which is salvageable from this car.

Regards

Muzzammil
Old 21st April 2012, 18:38   #4038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaan_urs View Post
What a find Rovergen!
Its a ponton and it would be great if you can share the details of the location or find out anything which is salvageable from this car.
Heard it belonged to a Big family in the old days , presently transfered to chittor ,Owner seems to be talking big that he would get parts from germany bla bla ... but i guess it will rot to the ground in the near future .
It's a diesel , is it 190D? engine bay looked very clean and spacious .

Last edited by Rovergen : 21st April 2012 at 18:39. Reason: Spell mistake
Old 21st April 2012, 22:39   #4039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Heard it belonged to a Big family in the old days , presently transfered to chittor ,Owner seems to be talking big that he would get parts from germany bla bla ... but i guess it will rot to the ground in the near future .
It's a diesel , is it 190D? engine bay looked very clean and spacious .
You mean chittor or CHITOOR in AP??

Its a Diesel but unless we see pics. of the engine we cant tell if its an original or local (usually Matador) unit?
Old 21st April 2012, 23:03   #4040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen
Yes a 190 for sure, also a type b hence the padded steering and fat bumpers and grill just like the fin type. Amazingly so many parts are there and so many missing and that's where the problem lies. Today ponton part prices have gone through the roof. A little rotary light switch can cost almost 200 dollars second hand. It will be very expensive to take this car to original condition and maybe cheaper to buy one in better condition even if one gets this free:-) a good car for parts though.
Old 21st April 2012, 23:14   #4041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
You mean chittor or CHITOOR in AP??

Its a Diesel but unless we see pics. of the engine we cant tell if its an original or local (usually Matador) unit?
Yes Stanher , i meant Chitoor ,

I saw the Merc engine inside , do not know the model , will ask our driver to click more pics next time he goes there .
Old 22nd April 2012, 13:37   #4042
BHPian

I was walking some of the back streets close to our flat in South Kolkata and saw the remains of the late 50's Fiat. Not much left!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0397.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0398.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0396.jpg  

Old 5th May 2012, 16:52   #4043
BHPian

Heres another 49-53 Ford Prefect rusting away in ahmedabad. I recently approached the owner but i really dont understand how it works.
These guys are just not interested in selling it....neither would they restore it.
It is lying in the full glory of the sun and rain since a year atleast giving company to omelette and bhajia larries. Its a shame really.

It is a garage and someone told me it was disputed property, i really dont understand how a car can be a disputed property, either you own a car or you dont. Either you have papers or you dont, either you want to sell it or you dont, either you want to restore it or dont.
There is absolutely no sense in letting a car rust away and turn into dust
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img2012042800227.jpg  

Old 6th May 2012, 09:26   #4044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdalvi View Post
Heres another 49-53 Ford Prefect rusting away in ahmedabad. It is a garage and someone told me it was disputed property, i really dont understand how a car can be a disputed property, either you own a car or you dont. Either you have papers or you dont, either you want to sell it or you dont, either you want to restore it or dont.
My dad had a similar car in Black for a few years, back in the 70s. twas his first car, bought for 4k from his brother (bought it because that was all he could afford then btw, his monthly salary was less than 1k!) and sold in 1980 a year before I was born.
The car I was told had a roll-back sunroof like this one, and dad sold it to an employee in a local Govt. firm who bought it only because his co. gave him a monthly 'fuel allowance' if he had a car of his own! They just dumped the car in the open, I guess in some plot they had near their house and the sun-roof tore off, exposing the interiors...then the seat covers tore off and they had some coir filling rather than sponge, and eventually some wild trees grew out of them! The car was eventually scrapped years later.

Reg. the disputed property I think they meant the garage was disputed. But I dont understand why it affects the car as it belongs to someone else!
Its a different issue if the car and the property it was parked in belonged to the same person.
Old 6th May 2012, 11:17   #4045
Senior - BHPian

Some RIP's I saw in Border thottam.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img2012012300148.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img2012012300149.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img2012012300150.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img2012012300151.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img2012012300153.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img2012012300152.jpg  

Old 7th May 2012, 14:01   #4046
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Stanher , i meant Chitoor ,

I saw the Merc engine inside , do not know the model , will ask our driver to click more pics next time he goes there .
Hi,

Am a little late on seeing this, but did you manage to take the pics? Or do you remember what the valve cover looked like? If it was a longish aluminum hard metal type it would be a petrol 190B, if you saw a smaller steel valve cover with injector type nozzles on the side of the engine it would be a diesel, a 190DB.

@Anjan-The grill is correct. The "B" model Ponton had these wider and lower grills which were carried over onto the Fintails. See the last of the Pontons like this car was being produced alongside the 190 Fintail, which had already been introduced (kind of like the new Hyundai Verna and the older one) so I guess it made sense to MB to use the same grill.

@Amol, I agree with you, even if the car is bought at what would seem a reasonable price, the amount that the new owner would have to pay for parts (depending on the standard he would like on the finished car) would be high to very high. I've been buying essential rubber seals, which cannot be replaced by locally available stuff as they are moulded to specific shapes. For the past 2 months or so, I've been ordering bits of rubber virtually every week and every time the bill seems to come upto Euro 100 or thereabouts
And oh ya, the master light switch, those go for killer prices on EBay, 2nd hand. It's a good thing I have 2 very nice examples

I would personally buy it only as a parts car and look for a better example to restore, as someone already said.

Regards
mbz180
Old 11th May 2012, 17:54   #4047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Here are a couple of rotting Fiats and an Amby in Jamshedpur. Garage Mechanic tells me that they came in for repair and the owners just left them there. The Fiats maybe for sale if anyone is interested - He can talk to the owner.

P.S. Check out his tool cabinet! Not sure what car that is.
Are these rotting Fiats for sale if yes I am Interested can you give any
name of contact person or phone?

ANANT
NAGPUR

Quote:
Actually, it looks like a select.
And there are quite a few more items missing- mainly the side & bonnet trims, no trims under the windscreens, plus the tail-lights and no.plate lights as well. But still definitely restorable. Pity!

I doubt the seat covers are original. But nice touch!
Are the seats still around??

And you're the second person I've met on this forum who actually wonders why they scrap cars like these, regardless of the condition!
VERY SAD that these old fiat cars are scrapped. Once they are gone we
won,t see them again. I would have paid 50,000/- to the owner if
had known this car.

ANANT
NAGPUR
A FIAT LOVER

Last edited by karlosdeville : 12th May 2012 at 09:42. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 11th May 2012, 18:51   #4048
BHPian

Quote:

Reg. the disputed property I think they meant the garage was disputed. But I dont understand why it affects the car as it belongs to someone else!
Its a different issue if the car and the property it was parked in belonged to the same person.
no, he meant that the car is disputed property not the garage !!!
I somehow think these people will play you around.
It is record of some sorts, everytime i have approached the owner of such a rusted piece, they have always told me its not for sale. i dont understand what goes on in their heads ?
Maybe they are just trying to gauge the market...you turn up more than once or show too much interest and they will ask for an exorbitant price and as a favor to you

What makes me sad is that they'd rather let these beauties rust away than see that they get a home to live in, its pathetic
Old 12th May 2012, 12:27   #4049
BHPian

Quote:
'saw this 4-door splitscreen Morris Minor languishing in a repair garage yesterday. I was told that the car's been there for years...it used to be lying in their shed, then moved out here recently, which explains the inflated tyres.

I was told it belonged to a lawyer who kept it lying in the same state until this mechanic bought it off him, claiming that he'd restore and use it. But he too did nothing with it!

And the car's sadly falling apart since, a real pity as it seems to be what was a very original car! Note the original hubcaps with the 'M' inscribed on them- rarely seen minors with these still intact!

I was told he's interested in selling it, quoting 1 lac for it! Interested, anyone??
SIR,

I am interested in this Morris Minor car can you give me the exact location
I suppose the car is in Hyderabad, please let me know.

ANANT
NAGPUR

Last edited by karlosdeville : 12th May 2012 at 12:32. Reason: Removing entire quote
Old 12th May 2012, 12:55   #4050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSICCAR View Post
SIR,

I am interested in this Morris Minor car can you give me the exact location
I suppose the car is in Hyderabad, please let me know.

ANANT
NAGPUR
Mr.anant,
Why do you want to spent money on restoring such cars, unless your initial acquisition cost is really a bargain which is unlikely in this case.You can get single owner concourse Morris minors for less than Rs.3 Lakhs.
Also a person here who spent 4 years for restoring a 50's Vauxhall is now trying to find a new owner for it because he feels he has overspend on it.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks