Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2012, 22:35   #4006
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Here's an interesting "custom" that I found parked near our home.
Looks like it has't moved for a few years, maybe he was embarrassed to drive it?
Yet another poor Herald undergone a hideous mod-job! I think Amit_V8 had posted a pic. of this car once too a few years ago, it was a runner then and apparently used as a hired wedding car (plenty of Heralds were used as such until a decade ago) before.
Old 21st January 2012, 22:47   #4007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Yet another poor Herald undergone a hideous mod-job! I think Amit_V8 had posted a pic. of this car once too a few years ago, it was a runner then and apparently used as a hired wedding car (plenty of Heralds were used as such until a decade ago) before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Here's an interesting "custom" that I found parked near our home.
Looks like it has't moved for a few years, maybe he was embarrassed to drive it?
The car appears to be from among the last few years of the Herald's life.WMA 7120 should be a 1973 model.
The owner might have spent a huge amount in getting the car modded. A disastrous job done which will be tough to redo by any Herald lover later on!
The Alto grille, headlights, dash, meters and the bumper show that the car was done up only recently and has been in day to day use.
Old 22nd January 2012, 00:00   #4008
Senior - BHPian

Attaching a photo of an unidentified old truck silently rusting away near Mundhwa, Pune. Never seen its kind roaming on the road. Maybe someone here can identify.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0013_fhdr1.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0051_fhdr1.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0031_fhdr2.jpg  

ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 01:25   #4009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Attaching a photo of an unidentified old truck silently rusting away near Mundhwa, Pune. Never seen its kind roaming on the road. Maybe someone here can identify.

This is a Dodge fargo truck from 1956-57-58. Not sure about the year.
amit V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 07:00   #4010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Hi,

This Vanguard was a well maintained running car till the demise of its owner after which it was subject to lack of care and unwillingness to sell to someone who could care for it. It was finally given the axe for a pittance (from what i heard, i hope it was saved, but i doubt it). I did study in the same school in which it sat quietly for a long time, suffering in a corner, till the final bell rang.

regards,

Srinand.

Pic courtesy : The facebook page of the school.
Pls notice it in the photo the prized car is kept out side in sun,rain and children have kept their own toy car in covered garage sort of enclosure which amounts to adding oil to the fire.
Old 22nd January 2012, 09:51   #4011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is a FARGO truck and few survivors are still running in Kerala.
Similar truck was introduced by PREMIER in the 70's (not sure)
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 11:51   #4012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to what you said Shyam bhai. Standards were even used as Baraat Thela have seen one few years back rotting around the city outskirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The car appears to be from among the last few years of the Herald's life.WMA 7120 should be a 1973 model.
The owner might have spent a huge amount in getting the car modded. A disastrous job done which will be tough to redo by any Herald lover later on!
The Alto grille, headlights, dash, meters and the bumper show that the car was done up only recently and has been in day to day use.
Sir, don't want to be picky but if i am correct the modded parts seem to be borrowed from Maruti 800 (Hlamps) Esteem(grill) Wagon R (tail lamps) . Although whatever it is, looks totally weird.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 17:43   #4013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm seeing it for atleast 10 years in that same spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Could be a Fargo, but more likely to be a later Premier, so many more of those were around.
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:14   #4014
BHPian

This car i see everyday when I visit the Wheeler Road extension near Cooke Town.

This doesnt have a steering and some other thing are also missing. But the owner, I believe cleans the car everyday. It is always clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-old-car.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc_0046.jpg  

shuvadips is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 20:24   #4015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvadips View Post
This doesnt have a steering and some other thing are also missing. But the owner, I believe cleans the car everyday. It is always clean.
Looks like he also fills the air in tires regularly looks great as a non working specimen.
Old 22nd January 2012, 20:55   #4016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'm seeing it for atleast 10 years in that same spot.
Could be a Fargo, but more likely to be a later Premier, so many more of those were around.
This is a Fargo or a Dodge truck. These were manufactured by PAL since the mid 1950's till the late 1960's. The earlier badging was either as Dodge or Fargo while since the early 1960's, I believe these were only badged as Dodge. Other than the badging there was virtually no difference in the exterior. I am not sure about the mechanicals and other details. The government departments purchased these trucks liberally.
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:34   #4017
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvadips View Post
Clever man who has removed the steering to ensure that the car is not stolen

Seems to be relative original.

Cheers

KPS
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:38   #4018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a Fargo or a Dodge truck. These were manufactured by PAL since the mid 1950's till the late 1960's. The earlier badging was either as Dodge or Fargo while since the early 1960's, I believe these were only badged as Dodge. Other than the badging there was virtually no difference in the exterior. I am not sure about the mechanicals and other details. The government departments purchased these trucks liberally.
We had our school bus on FARGO chassis in late sixty,I was very young those days ,maybe in 6th std.
In my view those days I felt that FARGO trucks and buses were having very powerful perkins 6 cyl HSD engines.
They were very popular with carriers of construction materials.
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:43   #4019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well maybe the car was re-registered in 1973 hence the WMA regn. But its definitely not a 70s model, late 60s at the most. By 1973, the Gazel had already replaced the Herald.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
As Karl says it could be a Fargo or a Premier Roadmaster(?)

Funny to know that these are rare in other parts of the country! They are still common as dirt over here; I see one almost everyday, still faithfully toiling on their heavy duty. And all of them painted Yellow for some reason!
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:51   #4020
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As Karl says it could be a Fargo or a Premier Roadmaster(?) Funny to know that these are rare in other parts of the country! They are still common as dirt over here; I see one almost everyday, still faithfully toiling on their heavy duty. And all of them painted Yellow for some reason!
You forgot the P6 engines most of them have. Some lorries you see with TATA differentials too.

Stanher all commercial vehicles expect vehicles with "National Permits" must have a yellow colour in front and back. This is applicable in Karnataka hence must be the same across the states too.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks