Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2011, 19:55   #3721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Today while coming back from Bandra to my home I took short cut through sun city cinema at vileparleEast.
Just before that, I was passing through a garden in the same lane and found these abandoned yellow taxies parked, or left to rot.
Sirjee, no doubt they are rusting in pieces, but none of them are by any means CLASSIC or VINTAGE enough to be posted in this thread!! They wouldnt be even a decade old infact!

Meanwhile here are some pics. of a bunch of vehicles that lie abandoned in some Health Dept. Institute at Pondicherry down south. Surprise- there are, from what I can make out, three Renault 4 cars among them!! All ex-UNICEF cars I expect.

Found in this flickr album:

Flickr: snowwhite_littlesnow's Photostream

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-junkism.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-bedford04.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-bedfordjunk01.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-bedfordjunk02.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-bedfordjunk03.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-renjunk01.jpg

Nature sometimes goes silly ways, dont you think?

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-renjunk02.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-renjunk03.jpg

'wondering if this was an early Standard 20, having seen a pic. showing the other side...

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-unknownjunk.jpg
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 09:45   #3722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi, would you believe that Mumbai had two similar condition Camaro's in Mumbai, one at Juhu Tara Road, the other at Chakala. Both were scrapped. The filmywalla at Goregaon had one first generation Camaro which he converted to a Targa topped car and let it rot.
As far as I know only one silver coloured camaro was destroyed in Bollywood, systematically demolished by Amitabh.
This car probably ended up like this because of a dispute with the mechanic, or was abandoned. If Bollywood were to be responsible, even this much would not have remained.

harit (no cheers for this)
Harit, if the one in Juhu that you're referring to is the one that was lying as the road dips towards Sea Princess, then am pleasantly amazed to find a mention of that car. I live in Juhu and used to see it as a kid and i suspect it's now been close to 20 years since it was removed, if not longer.
ravi_xx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 00:35   #3723
BHPian

While on a drive Saw This Pontiac at bandra at the back side of bandstand.
It looked like a bollywood had tortured it or restoration project abandoned, Could someone identify as to which pontiac is this ?
Also standing opposite to this pontiac is a W124 RUSTED TO DEATH. With rust holes all over and covered with plastic, No pics of 124 though.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20110506-18.03.30.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20110506-18.03.51.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20110506-18.04.10.jpg  

jatinpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 00:52   #3724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
It looked like a bollywood had tortured it or restoration project abandoned, Could someone identify as to which pontiac is this ?
Also standing opposite to this pontiac is a W124 RUSTED TO DEATH. With rust holes all over and covered with plastic, No pics of 124 though.
Looks like a first generation Pontiac Firebird to me. My heart goes out to this car, I wish I had the money to restore this car and plonk in a big v8.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:42   #3725
Senior - BHPian

Found this disturbing link while sourcing parts for my Millecento.
Pls do note that these are NOT in India but there are some REAL beautiful cars in there, so couldn't resist.
Picasa Web Albums - apy - 20090916-18_A...#

Raab Rakha.
Old 12th May 2011, 20:48   #3726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Pls do note that these are NOT in India but there are some REAL beautiful cars in there, so couldn't resist.

Raab Rakha.

What on earth is this place?? Such a treasure literally going into the ground.. Somebody save them

Trully disturbing..
Old 12th May 2011, 22:28   #3727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
What on earth is this place?? Such a treasure literally going into the ground.. Somebody save them
This place is called "Kaufdorf" and is in Switzerland. It was very well-known as the natural grave of nearly a 1000 old cars that were originally all dumped there as scrap!
The guy who owned the place was the son of a scrap-dealer and used to initially buy old cars for scrap and part them out. But later on, he decided to 'preserve' them as they were instead as a kind of heritage ruin and make the place into a public exhibit. So they just remained that way getting ravaged by nature for decades! Fortunately or unfortunately, the local authorities began to take notice of the place and due to recent environmental legislations (about how cars junking away on unprotected soil are a hazard as the oils and lead from melting/peeling paint seep into the ground) and so in 2009, the whole place was ordered to be cleared up, following which all the cars were taken out. Some were fortunate enough to still be salvageable and did get saved but many unfortunately ended up getting scrapped!

A shame really, as all of them were in such original condition with everything intact when left there....my heart really goes out to most of them!

You can find scores of online photos of these cars (and many more from the same place) before they were cleared out. Just type "kaufdorf" in google images.

Last edited by Stanher : 12th May 2011 at 22:30.
Old 13th May 2011, 15:08   #3728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Hi, This car was in Ahmedabad with a parsi friend and i had driven it. Top has been cut. Sad to see in this state. Subodh Nath
Old 13th May 2011, 16:06   #3729
BHPian

That car is a 68 Pontiac Bonneville, it was lying in santacruz at a garage and I missed buying her by ONE DAY!!!! The current owner is planning on restoring her and he is not willing to sell, I have tried upping the offer but he has declined to sell.

The good thing is she will not rust in pieces!!
Old 30th May 2011, 09:28   #3730
BHPian

Pictures of a Lamby rusting at my mechanics place. I had posted pictures of this classic an year back.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc07224.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc07225.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1980699

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 30th May 2011, 11:15   #3731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Pictures of a Lamby rusting at my mechanics place. I had posted pictures of this classic an year back.

Attachment 552513

Attachment 552514

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1980699

Thanks,
Jose.

She is going into the ground buddy.. After another 6 months, it will probably vanish.. Too bad.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:06   #3732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_xx View Post
Har I live in Juhu and used to see it as a kid and i suspect it's now been close to 20 years since it was removed, if not longer.
ravi
In one of the lanes opposite to sea princess actually a little bit before S P going from bandra towards Juhu there used to be 3 motorcycles lying in the mud outside a bldg called Javed Manzil. One was a Royal Enfield 350 with a rigid rear end and a girder fork, second was a Ariel twin 500 CC and the third was a BMW twin. Just wonderign if you might have seen these. It was a long time ago and I used to go cycling to Juhu beach when I came across there
Cheers
Old 30th May 2011, 15:50   #3733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
ravi
In one of the lanes opposite to sea princess actually a little bit before S P going from bandra towards Juhu there used to be 3 motorcycles lying in the mud outside a bldg called Javed Manzil. One was a Royal Enfield 350 with a rigid rear end and a girder fork, second was a Ariel twin 500 CC and the third was a BMW twin. Just wonderign if you might have seen these. It was a long time ago and I used to go cycling to Juhu beach when I came across there
Cheers
In that lane i believe there was a Garage too.... That lane was opposite the then little bungalows & citizen hotel.
Dont know if all that exist now....
There was Also a BSA Motorcycle in my building which rusted away till one day a bhangarwala took it in his hand cart. Real shame.
Old 30th May 2011, 20:44   #3734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Thanks,
Jose.
Jose thats not a Lamby but an older Lambretta Li150. The tool box (just below the driver's seat) was changed over to the flat sided one from the older bulbous Italian design sometime in 1974-75.This one has the older Italian, pre 1974 toolbox.But this one should be a post 1970 model as the fuel and choke switches were changed over to the black plastic ones (seen here) from the original metal ones.Thats not a sure shot way of fixing its age as many older Lambrettas were refitted with new switches as older ones might have conked off. A closer inspection could have helped me precisely date the scooter. Sad to see its fate. Tell the guys that these are selling for Rs 20K plus in the market.Maybe that changes their mind and the poor thing gets back on its wheels.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th May 2011 at 20:49.
Old 30th May 2011, 20:52   #3735
BHPian

I went to Chor Bazar in Mumbai last week and found this eminently restorable merc 300 SD lying there. Excuse the quality of the pics. Really sad to see the beauty dying in such a place. I also saw a W116 being butchered there.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img0484a.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img0487a.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img0483a.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks