Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 16:24   #3406
Senior - BHPian

Well said Harit.

W123 were the best engineered cars known to mankind.It is a tribute to the car's instant popularity and possibly to the caution built into the production schedules that nine months after its introduction, a black market had developed in Germany for Mercedes-Benz W123s available for immediate delivery.Customers willing to order new cars from their local authorized dealer for the recommended list price faced waiting times in excess of twelve months.Hardly used models available at once were commanding a premium over the new price.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mercedes_w123_3.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2010 at 10:49. Reason: Cleaning up thread of Maruti vs W123
Old 18th October 2010, 16:43   #3407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Well said Harit.

W123 were the best engineered cars known to mankind.It is a tribute to the car's instant popularity and possibly to the caution built into the production schedules that nine months after its introduction, a black market had developed in Germany for Mercedes-Benz W123s available for immediate delivery.Customers willing to order new cars from their local authorized dealer for the recommended list price faced waiting times in excess of twelve months.Hardly used models available at once were commanding a premium over the new price.
Agreed that the W123 was one of the best engineered car for its time. They were the first cars I have seen in Mumbai that required tin-work after 15 or more years. But the last car was made in 1985, so now it is at least a 25 year old car. And relatively expensive to maintain, parts are not cheap and not always available. And many have been botched at roadsides.

I would not exactly say that there was a black market for these cars. Mercedes employees had an option to buy cars from the factory at a subsidesed rate, and then sell the car after one year. Such cars were called "Jahreswagen", translated means year old cars, and these were sold without any loss of value, and were normally low mileage cars. Mercedes dealers used to have their show rooms full of such cars, and many emplyees sold their cars though the dealers. The effect was that the employees drove their cars almost free of cost. Remember, the same thing happened in India with the Premiers, but reasons and circumstances were different.

Today also W 123's are doing heavy duty in Africa, middle east like Lebanon, Syria, Palestine. There is quite a large export of chewed out cars from Europe to these countries even today.
Would I ever have a W 123 in my collection? Maybe, but only if it is a coupe.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 18th October 2010 at 16:46.
Old 19th October 2010, 10:47   #3408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

I would not exactly say that there was a black market for these cars.
Harit Bhai,

The was indeed a black market for these wonderful cars.

Mercedes-Benz W123 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 19th October 2010, 11:20   #3409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Harit Bhai,

The was indeed a black market for these wonderful cars.

Mercedes-Benz W123 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Correct, and this is what it says "Hardly used models available at once were commanding a premium over the new price of around DM 5,000". This was the way to do it because selling a brand new car at a premium would have invited penal action in Germany. So this activity was covered under the "Jahrewagen" scheme. It is not just Indians who know how to get around rules. So cars were resold, you paid a premium and were the second owner. When you saw such cars, they all looked spanking new. BTW, this was also on for W124 cars.

Cheers harit
Old 19th October 2010, 23:27   #3410
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Silverwood have you seen the red W123 here in Hyderabad? I froze in my tracks when I saw the car the first time. Its almost like the car was mothballed since new. Outstanding example and right here in Hyderabad for you to drool over. Call me sometime and will let you know who has it
Old 20th October 2010, 09:42   #3411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Silverwood have you seen the red W123 here in Hyderabad? I froze in my tracks when I saw the car the first time. Its almost like the car was mothballed since new. Outstanding example and right here in Hyderabad for you to drool over. Call me sometime and will let you know who has it
Deepak Sahb.

W123 in Hyderabad.?

Thanks for this info.I will call you soon.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:02   #3412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

Do tell moe on this car and who owns it, pictures would be great too
Old 20th October 2010, 13:07   #3413
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Do tell moe on this car and who owns it, pictures would be great too
I don't have a picture of this particular car. It may have been imported brand new by the owners of Mahalaxmi motors initially. I think, vaguely, the reg number is 1700 ? The owner has maintained it in amazing condition. I'll try to get his number and perhaps Silverwood can meet up with him and photograph the car to share here.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:28   #3414
BHPian

Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffe View Post
Here's the Fiat 1100 and 2 Merc's outside the same garage where I spotted the Chevy.The garage was locked again-took the pics from the opp side of the road.
Wolfee what that garrage near Koyambedu, on Bangalore Highway?
Old 25th October 2010, 14:21   #3415
BHPian

Spotted this Vauxhall near Shantiniketan in WB. I beleive its a Wyvern.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0219.jpg
Old 26th October 2010, 14:11   #3416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
Spotted this Vauxhall near Shantiniketan in WB. I beleive its a Wyvern.

Attachment 443373
it could be a VELOX or Wyvern,both had the same shape,but different engines
Old 29th October 2010, 20:10   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Saw these two ladies at Andheri ,once they may have been cared beautifully, maintained, now lie in this state of total abandoning, one (FIAT) is lying upside down like a dead cockroach,and the other one (MARUTI 800) being vandalized by these rascals who climb on its top,bonnet,and bend the doors.Although they dont belong to me but on seeing these kids vandalizing the car I shouted at them and scared them away. I fail to unerstand how people just abandone their cars like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img0104a.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img0105a.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img0107a01.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img0108a.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img0109a.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img0110a.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img0111a.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 29th October 2010, 22:09   #3418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Saw these two ladies at Andheri ,once they may have been cared beautifully, maintained, now lie in this state of total abandoning, one (FIAT) is lying upside down like a dead cockroach,and the other one (MARUTI 800) being vandalized by these rascals who climb on its top,bonnet,and bend the doors.Although they dont belong to me but on seeing these kids vandalizing the car I shouted at them and scared them away. I fail to unerstand how people just abandone their cars like this.
I am extreamly sorry to post the photos in this manner and angles the problem was by the time I could correct the angles my internet line got disconnected and when I was on line again time to correct and edit was over ,sorry once again,otherwise these were very good photographs.Regards
Old 29th October 2010, 22:25   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Saw this FIAT at santacruz our dear freind Ravi alias Super Select can identify this black beauty by just looking at it, and start his views like Year of manufecture,Type,what parts are original and what modifications made on it,....what could be the price in as is where is,etcetc...
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fiat-01.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fiat-02.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fiat-03.jpg  

Old 30th October 2010, 00:04   #3420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Saw this FIAT at santacruz our dear freind Ravi alias Super Select can identify this black beauty by just looking at it, and start his views like Year of manufecture,Type,what parts are original and what modifications made on it,....what could be the price in as is where is,etcetc...
Wow, nice find Iqbal ji ! Where at Santa cruz ?
This is probably a 1959 Select with a Super Select grille.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks