Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 15:32   #3361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Funkykar has explained the Fiats very well in the attachment below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2022146-post2191.html
Thanks for the explanation. it was really clear and helpfull. but i am now confused about my fiat select with the superselect grill which is 1959 make as per records.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-ork01.jpg  

Old 17th September 2010, 16:56   #3362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
And here is the picture of that

Attachment 425188
Actually I meant is the small numerical ''1100 '' script I have seen in 2 selects here
Old 17th September 2010, 20:55   #3363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
and there will be small 1100 script in the centre line (mid portion) in select
Quote:
And here is the picture of that
I can reckon that this badge was not provided as OE but more like an accessory. As I have not seen it even on very original cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjit View Post
but i am now confused about my fiat select with the superselect grill which is 1959 make as per records.
Well, if you are not the first owner of the car, then somewhere down the line it had the grille changed with the later type, mainly because the latter were found to be far stronger than the select grilles. I have seen a few selects (I remember seen a couple of taxis in Madras back in 1998) with broken grilles.
Old 17th September 2010, 21:24   #3364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I meant is the small numerical ''1100 '' script I have seen in 2 selects here
You talked of that earlier also?? Please post pictures of that and also of the millicento scripted (at the rear) Select that you talk off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I can reckon that this badge was not provided as OE but more like an accessory. As I have not seen it even on very original cars.

Well, if you are not the first owner of the car, then somewhere down the line it had the grille changed with the later type, mainly because the latter were found to be far stronger than the select grilles. I have seen a few selects (I remember seen a couple of taxis in Madras back in 1998) with broken grilles.
Is it so, all old people that know about it and to whome I have talked too, told me it was a standard fitment.

And bye the way, amazed that you spotted some Select taxis in Madras in 1998, I was studying there at that time and all that I could see is Ambasadors.
Old 17th September 2010, 22:20   #3365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjit View Post
Thanks for the explanation. it was really clear and helpfull. but i am now confused about my fiat select with the superselect grill which is 1959 make as per records.
If she's a 1959, she can only be a Select. Super Selects came only in mid- 1962.
My 1959 Select too had a Super Select grille.
Sigh.. she's gone.
Old 17th September 2010, 22:37   #3366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And bye the way, amazed that you spotted some Select taxis in Madras in 1998, I was studying there at that time and all that I could see is Ambasadors.
Well, there indeed were very few of the older 1100 taxis left by then. Padminis were still seen. The selects I spotted were all coincidentally parked on the roadside outside Woodlands Hotel, RK saalai, when we stayed there. I even came across a mint, freshly done up Black select, almost 100% original, in the parking lot there one day. Unfortunately no pics. of any of these cars I'm afraid....I was too timid then, plus didnt have a camera to carry on my own! :sigh:
Old 18th September 2010, 16:52   #3367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well, there indeed were very few of the older 1100 taxis left by then. Padminis were still seen. The selects I spotted were all coincidentally parked on the roadside outside Woodlands Hotel, RK saalai, when we stayed there. I even came across a mint, freshly done up Black select, almost 100% original, in the parking lot there one day. Unfortunately no pics. of any of these cars I'm afraid....I was too timid then, plus didnt have a camera to carry on my own! :sigh:
I know of that hotel, infact the first time I was in chennai it was the same hotel we stayed. But unlucky that could not spot any Selects there. How ever Vaxhaul, fords, VW, Stadards (as baarat cars) were here and there.
Old 19th September 2010, 16:35   #3368
BHPian

goa beetle

Another rusting classic in Goa. The seller wants an atrocius amount for it.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-front-view1600.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-rear-view1600.jpg

Wonder if anyone has seen it? if yes, where?
Old 19th September 2010, 18:58   #3369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You talked of that earlier also?? Please post pictures of that and also of the millicento scripted (at the rear) Select that you talk off..
I will surely try and get the photo of the small ""1100'' script (was under the impression JayD had posted it long ago) and also the photo of the 1958 fiat 1100 with the ''millicento'' badge at the rear(will take some time)
Old 19th September 2010, 21:24   #3370
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Another rusting classic in Goa. The seller wants an atrocius amount for it.

Attachment 426226

Attachment 426227

Wonder if anyone has seen it? if yes, where?
Kevin this car is right opposite Panjim Inn...!

The seller is a tough nut to crack. He wants to sell the car, he needs the money, but his ego is not letting him sell

I have offered him 1 lac, hoping him to get back to me soon.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:28   #3371
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted standing since some time, apparently for sale. To be honest I don't know what it is. The rear portion looked similar to a Renault 5, but the front end reminds me of the Hillman Hunter/Peykan.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-001.jpg
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:05   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The rear portion looked similar to a Renault 5, but the front end reminds me of the Hillman Hunter/Peykan.
You're close, Karl. Instead of 2+2 if you'd just added 1 you'd have the answer! That's an early Renault 6. This model also had the pull-push gear lever jutting out of the dashboard.
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:48   #3373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
You're close, Karl. Instead of 2+2 if you'd just added 1 you'd have the answer! That's an early Renault 6. This model also had the pull-push gear lever jutting out of the dashboard.
is this the RENAULT Model which was very commonly used as the UNICEF car in INDIA? It also had the dashboard gear lever
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:20   #3374
BHPian

Quote:
is this the RENAULT Model which was very commonly used as the UNICEF car in INDIA? It also had the dashboard gear lever
Amongst Renaults, it was mostly the Renault 4 (Quatrelle) that was used by UNICEF, Missions, Hospitals, etc. here. Dashboard gear lever was a feature in various French cars - more notably amongst the Renaults and Citroens. The Hanseat 3-wheeled Tempo (made by Bajaj here as well) had it too, differing in the direction of the final bend and absence of a knob at the tip!
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:20   #3375
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Dashboard gear lever was a feature in various French cars - more notably amongst the Renaults and Citroens. The Hanseat 3-wheeled Tempo (made by Bajaj here as well) had it too, differing in the direction of the final bend and absence of a knob at the tip!
Right.
The Renault 4 had a gear lever that stuck out along the axis of the vehicle and was bent upwards towards the ceiling.
The Tempo Hanseat on the other hand, had a a gear lever that stuck out along the axis of the vehicle and bent downward towards the floor.

AFAIK, the Renault 4 gear lever had a white rubber handle, while the Tempo Hanseat had a black bakelite handle.

The Hanseat had a black central instrument panel with a Speedometer, two idiot lights and a lever-rotary switch for the lights. The ignition key switch only turned on the ignition. There was a separate spring-pull switch for operating the starter.

The black instrument panel had two holes on either side of the speedo. One had the horn button push and the other had the gear lever sticking out of it.
As the Hanseat tended to overheat in India, later models had a temperature gauge all by itself above the black central instrument panel, on the edge where the dashboard sheetmetal bent forwards.

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks