Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2010, 10:51   #3346
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Padmini,in my tutors complex.Is this a superselect?
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-01092010265.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-01092010266.jpg  

Old 12th September 2010, 10:58   #3347
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
This is a Fiat Select. The Super Select had a cut glass in the front door.
Old 12th September 2010, 11:39   #3348
BHPian

but front grill is from super select
Old 12th September 2010, 14:51   #3349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinmohan View Post
but front grill is from super select
A fairly well preserved car, despite the dirt on it.
Many Super Selects had their side quarter glasses removed over time, (mine did - I procured and fitted new quarter glasses during restoration.) just as many Selects changed their grille to that from a Super Select !! Knowing the year of production will be the best indicator.
Old 12th September 2010, 21:59   #3350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Many Super Selects had their side quarter glasses removed over time, (mine did - I procured and fitted new quarter glasses during restoration.) just as many Selects changed their grille to that from a Super Select !! Knowing the year of production will be the best indicator.
Sirji any specific reason for this removal?? Did people back in those days hated the quarter glass or any other specific reason for the transformation. Just curious to know.
Old 12th September 2010, 22:41   #3351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Sirji any specific reason for this removal?? Did people back in those days hated the quarter glass or any other specific reason for the transformation. Just curious to know.
What I'm told is that the quarter glasses over a period of time wouldn't function as well, and would often leak water . At least two more cars I know of (apart from mine) had them removed !!
What I also believe, is that the number of Selects produced, (1958 thru 62) was far more than the number of Super Selects (1962 thru 64). Hence the availablilty of Select door parts and glasses was relatively easier - especially in the early seventies, which is when most of these cars must have gone in for their first major body / paint job..
Even today, front door glasses for a Super Select are very difficult to get, and those of the Select are easier.

Last edited by SuperSelect : 12th September 2010 at 22:42.
Old 12th September 2010, 22:50   #3352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What I'm told is that the quarter glasses over a period of time wouldn't function as well, and would often leak water. At least two more cars I know of (apart from mine) had them removed !!
What I also believe, is that the number of Selects produced, (1958 thru 62) was far more than the number of Super Selects (1962 thru 64). Hence the availablilty of Select door parts and glasses was relatively easier - especially in the early seventies, which is when most of these cars must have gone in for their first major body / paint job..
Even today, front door glasses for a Super Select are very difficult to get, and those of the Select are easier.
The quarter glasses would also facilitate the entry of car thieves more easily.Their prying eyes would spot these as soft targets for entry.PAL actually discontinued the quarter glasses in Padminis, sometime in the last quarter of 1987.The SS (1962) till the advent of the Padmini (1974) and through 1987- it took 25 years for them to take this decision.
Ambassadors came with quarter glasses since day one and continue to come till date with these, but for the bullet proof version (after market).
So mean to say that even the thieves in the 1960's and 70's were better behaved and did not break door glasses or windscreens to gain entry as in 2010!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th September 2010 at 22:51.
Old 13th September 2010, 14:28   #3353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
And to add, no roof-gutter trim unlike the Select.

To add further, these cars are NOT Padminis, but true blue FIATS!
Old 13th September 2010, 20:26   #3354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I'm told is that the quarter glasses over a period of time wouldn't function as well, and would often leak water . At least two more cars I know of (apart from mine) had them removed !!
Ravi bhai thanks for clearing my doubts regarding the same. Although in case of Padmini's the process is reverse, the chances of availability of cut glass and side glass is more than full glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The quarter glasses would also facilitate the entry of car thieves more easily.Their prying eyes would spot these as soft targets for entry.PAL actually discontinued the quarter glasses in Padminis, sometime in the last quarter of 1987.The SS (1962) till the advent of the Padmini (1974) and through 1987- it took 25 years for them to take this decision.
Ambassadors came with quarter glasses since day one and continue to come till date with these, but for the bullet proof version (after market).
So mean to say that even the thieves in the 1960's and 70's were better behaved and did not break door glasses or windscreens to gain entry as in 2010!
Ok so thieves back in those days were fascinated by the quarter glass very much. But be it the front quarter glass of the fiats and Ambys or the rear ones of Maruti 800's this design helped the thieves a lot in breaking in the car. The decision of PAL to discontinue cut glass, though, was just a cost saving measure i guess, which saved Rs.14 per car.
Old 16th September 2010, 17:12   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Is that a select or a superselect grille. I thought that is a select grille and the superselect one is much thinner.
Old 16th September 2010, 21:25   #3356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjit View Post
Is that a select or a superselect grille. I thought that is a select grille and the superselect one is much thinner.
Hey Renjit, it's the other way round.
Selects have thin grilles, and Super Selects have grilles with a thick border and a square pattern.
Old 16th September 2010, 21:37   #3357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjit View Post
That's a super-select grille, although the car's a select. This is what the select grille looked like:
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_1945.jpg  

Old 17th September 2010, 13:35   #3358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
That's a super-select grille, although the car's a select. This is what the select grille looked like:
and there will be small 1100 script in the centre line (mid portion) in select
Old 17th September 2010, 14:18   #3359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
and there will be small 1100 script in the centre line (mid portion) in select
And here is the picture of that

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1100.jpg
Old 17th September 2010, 14:19   #3360
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Funkykar has explained the Fiats very well in the attachment below