Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 13:48   #3331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagu View Post
This Willy Cj3b (?little help here) have been standing like this for a long long time.Hope someone can take it up and restore it.
Attachment 413159
Attachment 413160

Is this Jeep in Kalkaji, New Delhi? Behind Kalka Mandir?
Old 27th August 2010, 22:45   #3332
BHPian

Dodge 1947 Fluid Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Ah. great piece of information. Guess we learn new things everyday. Thanks a lot for answering the query KPS/Stanher/awini. I think the said transmission works on the same principle as of today's automatics where we have to slot the stick in D(1 or 2) mode. Now somethings are bound to be improved over the years (elimination of 1st pedal).
We owned a Dodge 1947 Fluid Drive till early 1990s, The gears are totally manual, but the fluid drive system transfers the power of the engine to the gearbox only when the engine is revving at a little above idle RPM. We could apply brake in any gear without engaging clutch (and the engine would not shut down) and then press the clutch and choose an appropriate gear if we wanted.
It was called fluid drive because there was no mechanical connection between the engine & the gearbox, as the RPM of the engine increased the fluid pressure to a certain level that the fluid pressure would drive the the turbine connected to gearbox.
Old 27th August 2010, 23:43   #3333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinci View Post
We owned a Dodge 1947 Fluid Drive till early 1990s, The gears are totally manual, but the fluid drive system transfers the power of the engine to the gearbox only when the engine is revving at a little above idle RPM. We could apply brake in any gear without engaging clutch (and the engine would not shut down) and then press the clutch and choose an appropriate gear if we wanted.
It was called fluid drive because there was no mechanical connection between the engine & the gearbox, as the RPM of the engine increased the fluid pressure to a certain level that the fluid pressure would drive the the turbine connected to gearbox.

Wow..... Wonder what happened to your car.

And thanks for the technical details

So much to learn.
Old 28th August 2010, 00:49   #3334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Wow..... Wonder what happened to your car.

And thanks for the technical details

So much to learn.
Well it was sold to a certain RAJAH GROUP of Kerala they had their tile manufacturing facility in Belgaum, they also used to manufacture MPVs & now they make Go-Karts.

It must still be in their collection. they had bought dozens of cars during that time in Belgaum.

I hope some Team-BHPians from Kerala would peek into their collection and get some photos!
Old 29th August 2010, 17:36   #3335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
@Vagu, I wish I take this Jeep. Do you know the person who is owner of this beauty.
Sorry Trammway but i dont whether this is for sale or not. Will inquire.

@Foxbat : yes it is.
Old 4th September 2010, 10:16   #3336
BHPian

See what is the condition of Standard 8 now, which has came for restoration in Pune. The garage owner told me that the owner has not turned for garage for almost last one year.
Here is the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2055291
Old 9th September 2010, 22:01   #3337
Senior - BHPian

A very depressing sight for Mercedes lovers.

I pass by this car almost daily, it used to be this guy's dad car. He owns a guest house, its just lying outside his place. Today i had some free time hence clicked these.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-09092010202-medium.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-09092010203-medium.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-09092010204-medium.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-09092010205-medium.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-09092010206-medium.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-09092010207-medium.jpg
Old 9th September 2010, 23:12   #3338
Senior - BHPian

that's really sad... sad sight indeed
Old 10th September 2010, 00:47   #3339
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
that's really sad... sad sight indeed

I dont understand, why i am seeing too many Merc's off late in such conditions.

Though i am trying to salvage few parts from the Brown one, and certainly convincing my friend to pick that White 200S, only time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag_0846.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag_0848.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag_0874.jpg  

Old 10th September 2010, 11:50   #3340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pavan, is the first Merc in Goa ?
I recently saw a similar one, in similar condition at Porvorim, in Goa. Will get pictures when I travel next.
Old 10th September 2010, 12:18   #3341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
A very depressing sight for Mercedes lovers. I pass by this car almost daily, it used to be this guy's dad car. He owns a guest house, its just lying outside his place. Today i had some free time hence clicked these.
This car seems to have been stripped of its parts, and then abandoned. You need to check if it has its original engine. And there is a possibility that trim and glasses are kept safely. If engine has been changed, then let her be. The headlights appear to have been altered in the past.

Quote:
Though I am trying to salvage few parts from the Brown one, and certainly convincing my friend to pick that White 200S, only time will tell.
The brown (red oxide) car is having a diesel engine, so you are correct, only usable for parts. The second one you have to judge and decide, maybe you can save that.

Earlier there used to be a lot of fintail Mercs lying in junk, apparently they have been cleaned up or cleaned out.

Cheers harit

Cheers harit
Old 10th September 2010, 14:25   #3342
BHPian

My heart bleeds everytime i see such lovely Mercs rusting away to the ground.

Why do people buy such cars if they cant take care of them.

Damn.
Old 10th September 2010, 15:01   #3343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post

Damn.
The mercs come cheap, but repairs & parts cost may run up to 5 times the cost of car itself. Hats off to the people who have restored near junk mercs.

I think there will be healty population of fintail mercs if the 'not so restorable' mercs are scrapped (I say this with a heavy heart, but their vandalism & natural disintegration isn't going to help save other mercs) and the parts end up in the market.

regards
-invinci
Old 11th September 2010, 20:58   #3344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post

Damn.
fintails and later mercedes cars have become desireable only now, till about 10 years ago they were a dime a dozen, just as W124 are now, and even pontons were cheap only the S series fetched decent money in those. and in the late 1980s there were plenty of post war 300s in the market, including convertibles.
everything has a time of its own. apparently people are "restoring" contessas and 118NEs these days!!

Last edited by awini : 11th September 2010 at 21:00.
Old 11th September 2010, 22:04   #3345
Distinguished - BHPian

Another fin tail Mercedes located a few months ago ! Am not aware if it is being restored ? Actually restoring them apart from finesse, grit and determination needs lots of money for original spares that are though not so tough to come by.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc04508.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc04509.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks