Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 20:35   #3181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
They were also built on a chassis with running gear and front panel supplied by KAL (Kerala Automobiles Ltd.) But I too doubt if they were anytime badged as Lambretta as this one. In fact this seems to be an LD mk3 badge fitted on.
The KAL 3 wheelers were if I am correct also advertised in Indian Auto (1987 or later because the first issue came out in 1987).Again if I can remember, these were fitted with the Greaves Cotton Lombardini diesels and not the Lambretta 175 cc petrol engine..
Old 13th July 2010, 20:59   #3182
BHPian

A Lamby that came to my mechanic's place for restoration. It's been lying under the sun for long time.

Regards,
Jose.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc06349.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc06348.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc06347.jpg  

Old 13th July 2010, 22:41   #3183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
A Lamby that came to my mechanic's place for restoration. It's been lying under the sun for long time.

Regards,
Jose.
That should be a 1970-74 model.To be more specific it should be a 1970-71 model.Come 1971, the fuel tap and the choke switches became black plasticky from the aluminium ones.And the glove box remained the original with rounded edges.By 1975 the glove box had flat Indianised surfaces.
Old 13th July 2010, 22:48   #3184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
That should be a 1970-74 model.To be more specific it should be a 1970-71 model.Come 1971, the fuel tap and the choke switches became black plasticky from the aluminium ones.And the glove box remained the original with rounded edges.By 1975 the glove box had flat Indianised surfaces.
What about the horn casting, it came pear shaped after late 1961. This seems to have the early series 2 round horncasting.
Old 13th July 2010, 22:55   #3185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Chettan, this is not a Lamby by any means but a Lambretta (yes, they both are different! )
One can tell from the shape of the front mudguard, legshield and toolbox, more noticeably the horncast, which indicates its an early ('60-62) model. Although that could've been owner-fitted, and the scooter actually being a later model. But definitely it's a Lambretta.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
What about the horn casting, it came pear shaped after late 1961. This seems to have the early series 2 round horncasting.
Exactly. It could've as well been an early model, the fuel and choke levers possibly been owner-fitted as replacements for the originals. But then, unless we know the regn. (that too if its the original one) it's difficult to tell in case of these scooters, as so many early ones had been "upgraded" to later specs mainly in order to increase the resale value those days.....and now its happening the other way round, with the 'classic' aspects becoming more popular!

Last edited by Stanher : 13th July 2010 at 22:56.
Old 14th July 2010, 09:19   #3186
BHPian

Rajdoot 175 Rotting !!!

Seen this Rajdoot 175 rotting outside Sangameshwar Road Railway Station of Konkan Railway Division, near Ratnagiri when I was on my way to Mumbai after my exam is finished.
Unfortunately its a government vehicle with UP registration, so it will be in earth after few years.
(Sorry for the picture quality & sorry everyone that I haven't made those pics clockwise.)
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-photo0008.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-photo1071.jpg  

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 14th July 2010 at 09:22.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:48   #3187
Senior - BHPian

PILFERAGE: Only solution to such rotting gem. No kidding, atleast can be a donor vehicle. Now where is my spaceman-spiff mask & costume.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 14th July 2010 at 19:59.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:37   #3188
Senior - BHPian

While clearing 'raddi' today I came across this photo in an old newspaper, Much more than RIP:
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-top.jpg

Raab Rakha.
Old 19th July 2010, 16:09   #3189
Ram
Senior - BHPian

That's a Gypcycle rikshaw.

Here is an ox pulling the FC cab of a truck. The missing engine affords a cute cubby hole for the driver. Keeps him out of the rain, while passengers ride in the weatherproof cab.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-oneoxpower.jpg
Old 19th July 2010, 22:40   #3190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have become very rare these days. These were quite a common sight till the 1990's. Delhi, Chandigarh,Ahmedabad and many,many other cities had thousands of Lambretta autorickshaws. Pune since the earliest days was a Vespa/Bajaj city where it was nearly 95 % Vespa/Bajaj all the while.
The Lambretta 3 wheelers came as the truck-like chassis over which bodies were built for delivery vans, autorickshaws, pick ups and so on.The rear suspension had a dead axle with a small differential and leaf springs.The front wheel had a Lambretta scooter like suspension with a heavy duty look.
The engine was a two stroke, 4 speed, 175 cc unit.The engine was below the driver's seat (earlier Vespa/Bajaj 3 wheelers also had the same engine layout).It had a kick starter unlike the pull-rod start of the Vespa/Bajaj 3 wheelers.It was made by API, Bhandup,Mumbai and had minimal changes to its appearance and mechanicals till the very end of its innings.I am not aware if these were too branded as Lambys after the Innocenti-Lambretta badging was withdrawn from the API scooters in 1978.
Anjan they had a biggest draw back in them ,you know what? to replace its 100/- worth of clutch plates whole engine was to be dismantlled unlike BajaJ where only one side 3 nos bolts were to be removed and the clutch assembly was out ,it takes less then 1 hrs,whereas in Lambretta it used to take 1 full day just to replace a clutch plate , it was designed that way inspite of this Delhi till few years back had almost all population of autoricks of Lambrettas ,now it has been replaced by BAJAJ.
Old 19th July 2010, 22:53   #3191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Anjan they had a biggest draw back in them ,you know what? to replace its 100/- worth of clutch plates whole engine was to be dismantlled unlike BajaJ where only one side 3 nos bolts were to be removed and the clutch assembly was out ,it takes less then 1 hrs,whereas in Lambretta it used to take 1 full day just to replace a clutch plate , it was designed that way inspite of this Delhi till few years back had almost all population of autoricks of Lambrettas ,now it has been replaced by BAJAJ.
Thanks Iqbal for the feedback.I had seen many Delhi Lambretta 3 wheelers being relocated to Faridabad about a decade back after the pollution laws became stringent and the 15 year plus commercial vehicle scrapping law was applied.
Old 20th July 2010, 01:13   #3192
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Iqbal for the feedback.I had seen many Delhi Lambretta 3 wheelers being relocated to Faridabad about a decade back after the pollution laws became stringent and the 15 year plus commercial vehicle scrapping law was applied.
ohh they are still very much there in faridabad, in good numbers, though now the numbers are diminishing and they are being replaced by rickshaws of many different makes, some that most of us wouldnt have even heard of.
Old 21st July 2010, 09:10   #3193
Senior - BHPian

Here is one fiat 500 rotting away, infact it has gone to ground, the owner is reluctant to part with her, hoping one day a miracle is going to take place.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc06920.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc06921.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc06922.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc06923.jpg
Old 21st July 2010, 10:28   #3194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Here is one fiat 500 rotting away, infact it has gone to ground, the owner is reluctant to part with her, hoping one day a miracle is going to take place.

Attachment 391074

Attachment 391075

Attachment 391076

Attachment 391077
Great find Manish. BTW the owner is reluctant to part away there is hardly any part left to part away with it. Although the door can be salvaged from it.

EDIT: after a close look at the pics it seems even the door cannot be salvaged IMO

Last edited by samsag12 : 21st July 2010 at 10:30.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:04   #3195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Great find Manish. BTW the owner is reluctant to part away there is hardly any part left to part away with it. Although the door can be salvaged from it.

EDIT: after a close look at the pics it seems even the door cannot be salvaged IMO
In Jaipur they could rebuild cars from such a condition. Ofcourse it costs a lot of money, so the car should be from the upper end.Like a Mercedes from Lonavala.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks