Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 22:25   #3166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Seen this VW Beetle rotting to earth in Narayan Peth, Pune in very sorry state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, what a sad sight!! Car looks quite complete! If its up for grabs, I sure am interested!
Really pitiable. The car has so many of its original equipment and badges intact.
It appears to be an early 1960's example. Pavan Kadam can be handed over the mike to tell us more.
But the way it is parked, the thing will be vandalised in no time, if allowed to rot.
Old 10th July 2010, 22:36   #3167
Senior - BHPian

Poor li'l bug - Grab the logo, bumpers, and other brightwork before it's completely vandalized..

If it's in Pune I'm sure Karl knows about it. ?? History, geography, et al - He'll begin with.. "MZA 2170 belonged to an elderly gent, and was seen in Sadashiv Peth till the late 90s. It was last spotted in 2003.." - and give us complete details on WHY she's been left like this !

Last edited by SuperSelect : 10th July 2010 at 22:40.
Old 11th July 2010, 10:49   #3168
BHPian

@ All,
There is no clue of this Beetle's owner, as I have asked many shopkeepers in that building; but they don't know who is the owner of the Bug.
This Bug still has that iconic white colored steering along with a horn button & also has speedometer intact but the seats are totally banged by the rats.
Old 11th July 2010, 11:33   #3169
BANNED

Quote:
@ All,
There is no clue of this Beetle's owner, as I have asked many shopkeepers in that building; but they don't know who is the owner of the Bug.
This Bug still has that iconic white colored steering along with a horn button & also has speedometer intact but the seats are totally banged by the rats.
Looks like a 1965-66 Bug by its specs, a good car to do up.

Any Pune guys can help this car in distress
Old 11th July 2010, 11:45   #3170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Looks like a 1965-66 Bug by its specs, a good car to do up.

Any Pune guys can help this car in distress
most likely a pre65 bug,because pope nose number plate light assy never came on 66 cars
Old 11th July 2010, 12:12   #3171
BHPian

Wolseley rotting in secunderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
BTW ravi, was your dad's wolseley like this? Or a later model?
Hi shyam, i am sure you must be aware about one wolseley rotting in secunderabad area, will try to dig pic of it.
Old 12th July 2010, 11:57   #3172
BHPian

Seen this Lambretta Pick-Up Rickshaw rotting in Narayan Peth, Pune. This kind of rickshaw is now a very rare sight, sad to see that owner has kept it neglected.
@ All,
Please give some info about these rickshaws, whether they are made here in India by API or else etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-photo0013.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-photo0014.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-photo0015.jpg  

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 12th July 2010 at 11:58. Reason: Addition of content.
Old 12th July 2010, 13:09   #3173
Senior - BHPian

Found one Pic from net & info says that Lamby engines were found to be fuel guzzlers & very very noisy (as if present day ricks are any better).
The engine bay was under drivers seat & not like present day ricks where its under passenger's seat (atleast in Mumbai).
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-lamby_rik.jpg

Last edited by ariesonu : 12th July 2010 at 13:11.
Old 12th July 2010, 15:39   #3174
Distinguished - BHPian

That Bug used to stand in a bungalow on Satara road, with another junker many years ago. Later shifted near Laxmi road, Pune's most densely populated and trafficated area. How it has still remained intact I dont know! Been there atleast 3 years. Tried many times to buy it, but not for sale.

The Lambretta 3 wheeler is a familiar sight there, seeing it for years together, as is the Padmini Safari you posted elsewhere.
Old 12th July 2010, 15:45   #3175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
If it's in Pune I'm sure Karl knows about it. ?? History, geography, et al - He'll begin with.. "MZA 2170 belonged to an elderly gent, and was seen in Sadashiv Peth till the late 90s. It was last spotted in 2003.." - and give us complete details on WHY she's been left like this !
Good one Ravi and probably will tell you the original colour (with some pics from his archive and also some previous registeration numbers too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That Bug used to stand in a bungalow on Satara road, with another junker many years ago. Later shifted near Laxmi road, Pune's most densely populated and trafficated area. How it has still remained intact I dont know! Been there atleast 3 years. Tried many times to buy it, but not for sale.
There goes!!

Karl are you back or posting all this from Prague?

and P.S" I require a lot of trim from this bug (or any other one) including lights front and rear, the number plate light. Anyone in the know of such items please call me or PM me. Thanks
Old 12th July 2010, 19:24   #3176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seen this Lambretta Pick-Up Rickshaw rotting in Narayan Peth, Pune. This kind of rickshaw is now a very rare sight, sad to see that owner has kept it neglected.
@ All,
Please give some info about these rickshaws, whether they are made here in India by API or else etc.
They have become very rare these days. These were quite a common sight till the 1990's. Delhi, Chandigarh,Ahmedabad and many,many other cities had thousands of Lambretta autorickshaws. Pune since the earliest days was a Vespa/Bajaj city where it was nearly 95 % Vespa/Bajaj all the while.
The Lambretta 3 wheelers came as the truck-like chassis over which bodies were built for delivery vans, autorickshaws, pick ups and so on.The rear suspension had a dead axle with a small differential and leaf springs.The front wheel had a Lambretta scooter like suspension with a heavy duty look.
The engine was a two stroke, 4 speed, 175 cc unit.The engine was below the driver's seat (earlier Vespa/Bajaj 3 wheelers also had the same engine layout).It had a kick starter unlike the pull-rod start of the Vespa/Bajaj 3 wheelers.It was made by API, Bhandup,Mumbai and had minimal changes to its appearance and mechanicals till the very end of its innings.I am not aware if these were too branded as Lambys after the Innocenti-Lambretta badging was withdrawn from the API scooters in 1978.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th July 2010 at 19:26.
Old 12th July 2010, 19:49   #3177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
They have become very rare these days. These were quite a common sight till the 1990's. Delhi, Chandigarh,Ahmedabad and many,many other cities had thousands of Lambretta autorickshaws.
The Lambretta 3 wheelers came as the truck-like chassis over which bodies were built for delivery vans, autorickshaws, pick ups and so on.The rear suspension had a dead axle with a small differential and leaf springs.
I am not aware if these were too branded as Lambys after the Innocenti-Lambretta badging was withdrawn from the API scooters in 1978.
These were (and maybe still are) very common in Rajasthan too. I remember having travelled in these many times when we were in Jodhpur in the 80s! I never used to like them much (especially from the inside, where they were rather narrow and cramped compared to the Bajaj autos!) back then, but now I wish I could travel in these again!
The commercial types like this one are still a common sight in Bangalore. They were also built on a chassis with running gear and front panel supplied by KAL (Kerala Automobiles Ltd.) But I too doubt if they were anytime badged as Lambretta as this one. In fact this seems to be an LD mk3 badge fitted on.
Old 13th July 2010, 00:25   #3178
Senior - BHPian

I am sure the lambretta auto can be restored with period styling and I don't think this should be an expensive affair, poor auto it deserves all the liking which an lambretta gets. Its pretty surprising to see a monogram till now on these autos. Any clue how would this auto might cost?
Old 13th July 2010, 09:31   #3179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I am sure the lambretta auto can be restored with period styling and I don't think this should be an expensive affair, poor auto it deserves all the liking which an lambretta gets. Its pretty surprising to see a monogram till now on these autos. Any clue how would this auto might cost?
Are these autos are lying here and there, every where and could be had for a song. Are you really interested.
Old 13th July 2010, 10:46   #3180
BHPian

@ Shyam & Anjan,
Thanks for the very valuable info.
Other interesting thing about this Lanbretta auto is that its handle still has engraved Lambretta logo on it but it is only visible if you look closely & it has worn out.
Will try to get the engine bay pics under the driver's seat in my next trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks