Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 08:32   #2941
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
and guys here are the anglia pics as promised
Nice car.
The soft glow (light scatter) around the car is because of a dirty lens (as in smeared finger grease) on your camera lens. Could also be condensation from getting the camera out of a deeply airconditioned car to a warm humid outdoors. Cleaning the lens with lens cleaner and tissue or soft cloth would give a sharper, more contrasty picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
So is Talc Boric Powder, because thats what is being used for carrom boards? Can we use Boric powder then?
No Gogi. Talc is not Boric Powder.
Boric Powder is Boric Acid -- Hydrogen Borate that dissolves in water. It is hygroscopic and would be counter-productive if used to preserve rubber.

Talc is hydrated Magnesium Silicate. It is a stone powder that does not dissolve in water. Cosmetic talcum powder would be just fine, except that it is expensive due to the skin-safe perfume in it.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:59   #2942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Its actually in the SECOND book/movie, The Chamber of Secrets!
Now we know who the Potter fan is. I'm not, just noted the car.

Quote:
Wow!! Keeping in view the present old age of the lady, the age of her father's car (Merc) would make it a late 30's or early 40's model or even as late as the mid 50's W180, a VDO wind up clock(Mercedes 220A Cabriolet) till the early 60's, W121 Roadster 190 SL, an 8 day wind up clock.
Maybe mycarhasablower can obtain a photo of the car from the lady? That would be very interesting.
And BTW, what blower does your car have?

Cheers harit
Old 11th March 2010, 11:05   #2943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Now we know who the Potter fan is. I'm not, just noted the car.
Incidentally that car was unfortunately stolen a year or 2 back.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:47   #2944
BHPian

Quote:
SO is Talc Boric Powder, because thats what is being used for carrom boards? Can we use Boric powder then?
Gogi, you are right, and I stand corrected. Boric powder is used on carrom boards and not French Chalk. My mistake, sorry.
Old 11th March 2010, 18:03   #2945
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Defunct car body stolen from defunct studio abandoned in a defunct castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Incidentally that car was unfortunately stolen a year or 2 back.
The rusting turquoise blue 1962 Ford Anglia deluxe body, bearing the number plate 7990 TD, was "flicked" from the South West Film Studios (defunct since 2004) at Penwinnick Road in St Agnes, Cornwall on the night of Wed. 26-Oct-2005.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1962fordangliahpfront.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1962fordangliahprear.jpg

An interesting tidbit is -- not having any mechanicals, the body was not driveable. The theft was a truck-n-trailer insider job. The thieves tried to sell it without the plate "7990 TD" but found no takers.

Finally police recovered the carcass from the foggy ruins of the 14th-Century Carn Brae Castle in Cornwall in May 2006. 15 km from where the car was stolen.

Flicked from here:
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Recovered from here:
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Abandoned barely 15 km away from the theft scene! Doesn't it seem like a story made for a rust in pieces thread?

Ram

Last edited by Ram : 11th March 2010 at 18:08.
Old 11th March 2010, 20:54   #2946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Gogi, you are right, and I stand corrected. Boric powder is used on carrom boards and not French Chalk. My mistake, sorry.
Prabal, i had no idea what the chemical composition of either talc or boric powder was, guess my Chemistry at school wasnt up to the mark as i never understood any of it.
Now with Ram explaining it like a chemistry equation,...nothings changed...i still dont understand it
Old 13th March 2010, 21:28   #2947
Distinguished - BHPian

A few photos that I had in my PC but had kept forgetting to upload since long!

'had seen this very original (but for the ugly "home-made" convertible top mod- AAARGH! I HATE people who do that to these cars!! ) mk1 herald sadly left to rot in a local garage where another Herald I knew of has been getting restored. The car (which I photo'd more than 6 months ago) I'm told had come here to be done up a couple of years ago and has been left at this place since, the owner apparently having lost interest in proceeding with further work! I had tried asking but was told by the mechanic there plus my friend who's getting his herald done up there, that the owner (who incidentally, is known to the latter) does not want to sell the car in the near future! He is said to be quite well-off so money is not a reason for him to part with the car either! It happened to be his sister's car and so he is said to be 'attached' to it! Sounds familiar?
The car still has more or less everything, even seemingly the original paint and upholstery intact (sadly ruined now!) only the speedometer (taken from a Gazel) is non-original.

The wheels had been temporarily(?) borrowed by my friend for his own Herald, its original rims having been in a sad state.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mk1cabrio.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mk1cabrio1.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3643.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3644.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3645.jpg

Incidentally, when I was living in my old colony, around 2001-02, a driver of a family who'd moved into our colony had told me that his employer's relatives had a Herald "open-top" that they had tried to resurrect but eventually gave up on and decided to sell. Unfortunately, I was in the process of going to Singapore for some studies then, so didnt show much interest then! I wonder if this is the same car, although he'd told me the colour being dark blue then, so not sure. Hmmm....

Nevertheless, I hope the owner decides to act one day!

Last edited by Stanher : 13th March 2010 at 21:29.
Old 14th March 2010, 01:48   #2948
Senior - BHPian

I really pray god to get this car to you Shyam. Why don't you give a try with the owner you don't know his frame of mind now, and again talking to you and your intrest he may consider giving it to you. Give a shot boss! All the very very best of good luck.
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:02   #2949

As stanher says, i think many such owners need to wake up and stop these beauties from perishing
meanwhile, posting a few pics of a Austin A30 i found in a remote place in bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-ephoto0873.jpg  

Attached Images

abhaymagal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2010, 00:34   #2950
BHPian

@STANHER
Hi I have been reading your blogs for a quite long time and it gives me pleasure to find you authority on Heralds. If you see any Car any Make disintegrating or lying in Rust, feel free to communicate.
Keep up the good work buddy
Muzzammil Khan
Old 24th March 2010, 09:41   #2951
Senior - BHPian

Ford V8 Spotted

Saw this in Colaba, Bombay yesterday in a bylane . Hope it does not goto the choppers.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img00044201003211842.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img00047201003211843.jpg  

Old 24th March 2010, 12:15   #2952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaan_urs View Post
@STANHER
Hi I have been reading your blogs for a quite long time and it gives me pleasure to find you authority on Heralds. If you see any Car any Make disintegrating or lying in Rust, feel free to communicate.
Keep up the good work buddy
Muzzammil Khan
Muzzammil, are you on lookout for rusting vintage cars? if you are, then I think I can give you a couple of leads pretty soon.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:15   #2953
Team-BHP Support

Found these buckets of Rust here:

Picasa Web Albums - kkrish99
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-beauties-road.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fiat-should-belive.jpg  

moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2010, 01:30   #2954
Senior - BHPian

These two cars seems to be somewhere down south, both are in pretty good shape I am loving the second one and the one on the front the open top has a lovely engine ventilators with each having a handle. I hope they land up with a good care taker. they deserve it man!

The one in colaba is a real unique car can anyone give us some more details please. I wonder its still intact and even the headlamp is unique for me I am seeing it for the first time.
Old 25th March 2010, 02:27   #2955

That Colaba Car looks Awesome. What exactly is it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks