Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:20   #2881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
That contact was given to Spitfire by me Good to know, somehow those parts were got off from that hospital store.

If i'am not wrong, its Dr Manisha Godbole and Mr Ramanath who were caretakers for those spares.

Many were not apt for a Baywindow.
Yes Dr. Kadam you are bang on. Most of the parts belonged to Split Van and not much use for a Baywindow. Nevertheless they are nice to have's and don't mind storing them till I find a "Split Van".
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:26   #2882
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
THANKS TO SPITFIRE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
That contact was given to Spitfire by me
Oh good to know the parts landed in the group.

Yes and the thanks goes to Pavan Sir. This was like 2 years back i guess. How time flies.

Quote:
Most of the parts belonged to Split Van and not much use for a Baywindow.
Yes same here. By the time I got around to know the parts list my split was on a truck to somewhere I didnt know about :(
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:58   #2883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes ............... Nevertheless they are nice to have's and don't mind storing them till I find a "Split Van".
No you are not stupid. I have removed that icon!! On the contrary, you are quite smart. I have also collected lots of parts for cars which I have aquired much later, and have still not aquired. Decorative parts like Minerva headlights can always be used for decorative purposes, others can be give to those who require these parts.
But be careful. Storing parts which have rubber or diaphragms (now who thought of this spelling?) like fuel pumps can be tricky as they age and become useless. Also, storage should be sorted well, often the part cannot be found when required.
So now I know where to ask for Split parts. But hurry, Splits are also rising in pricing. Many have gone out of the country.
Oh no, not again rising prices.

Cheers harit
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:02   #2884
BHPian

Harit: I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question. What is the best method to store rubber parts? For one I know is to keep it away from sunlight. Many suggested to coat them with oil but Im not sure if the synthetic products in the oils will react with the rubber.
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:23   #2885
Ram
Senior - BHPian

On the preservation of rubber parts (new or vintage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
What is the best method to store rubber parts? For one I know is to keep it away from sunlight. Many suggested to coat them with oil but Im not sure if the synthetic products in the oils will react with the rubber.
Oil is a very bad substance to bring in contact with rubber. It will surely deteriorate the rubber. My first option is the oldest rubber-preservative on earth -- Earth's softest mineral -- Talc !!!

Heat and sunlight are bad for rubber.
Even plain electric light from a tungsten bulb can spoil vintage rubber.
And of course, Ozone is very bad for rubber.

Protect rubber from sunlight and ozone; covered up in plastic garbage bags in a dark, dry cupboard, liberally coated with Talcum powder, glycerine or silicone grease.

Another option is silicone spray "Armorall" protectant.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-armorall.jpg

A 1993 Saab 9-3 manual says, "to preserve the rubber seals around doors, windwows, etc., wipe them down with glycerol (aka glycerine)."

You can use 303 Aerospace Protectant.

303 Aerospace Protectant preserves rubber tires, neoprene, latex, door and trunk seals, weather-stripping, EPDM rubber roofing (EPDM is ethylene propylene diene Monomer (M-class) rubber, CV boots;
Vinyl convertible tops (and clear vinyl windows), rexine tire covers (for SUVs), etc.

Find info about it here:
303 Products - Aerospace Protectant, High Tech Fabric Guard - World's Leading Automotive Care Products

When you want to preserve rubber gaskets, clean them very well, and then coat them with silicone grease. It shields them from the ozone in the air, which is the main culprit. Of course, remember that silicone grease can eat your paintjob.

Castle Brake Life is a brake lubricant with a 100% silicone formula. It is water and salt resistant and has outstanding adhesion to all metal parts and withstands heat up to 750°F. Use on rubber parts, and also on all moving brake parts. Can also can be used as a dielectric grease on spark plug boots as well as other electronic connections.

Hope this was illuminating !!!
Cheers...
Ram
Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:36   #2886
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ram, very useful indeed. 'hope I can find these products locally. Aromorall seems to be available only in bigger cities (Del, B'bay, B'lore etc.) I really loved the tyre spray they have!

I've also read that WD-40 is capable of preserving rubber as well?
Old 4th March 2010, 00:33   #2887
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I've also read that WD-40 is capable of preserving rubber as well?
Stanher: WD-40 is a petroleum-based product. It damages polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic. It will wear down and dry out the rubber.

Better use silicone-liquid or silicone-grease on rubber or plastic.
Old 4th March 2010, 15:07   #2888
BHPian

Thanks Ram, that indeed was very very useful information. I think the most economical way for me would be talc and airtight black garbage bags.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:18   #2889
Senior - BHPian

yes Talc is the correct way. Though one would think when the seals are in touch with oil while working why not coat them with oil. Well the oil oxidises and that's bad.

I recetly purchased brake rubber kit for my Fiat came nicely coated in talc.
Old 4th March 2010, 22:31   #2890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
yes Talc is the correct way. Though one would think when the seals are in touch with oil while working why not coat them with oil. Well the oil oxidises and that's bad.

I recetly purchased brake rubber kit for my Fiat came nicely coated in talc.
By talc you mean talcum powder??
Old 4th March 2010, 23:04   #2891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post

Another option is silicone spray "Armorall" protectant.
When you want to preserve rubber gaskets, clean them very well, and then coat them with silicone grease. It shields them from the ozone in the air, which is the main culprit. Of course, remember that silicone grease can eat your paintjob.
Hope this was illuminating !!!
Cheers...
Ram
Valuable information. In fact Ram the Maruti 800 Workshop Manual says that the rubber bushings on the leaf springs need to be lubricated with silicone grease/gel. But way back when I read this manual in 1991, the shopkeepers blankly stared at me when I asked them for something like that.
Old 5th March 2010, 09:35   #2892
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Talc is a Super Soft Rock

Quote:
By talc you mean talcum powder??
Talc is a naturally occurring mineral.
hydrated magnesium silicate.

It is very soft (Mohs index = 1) You can scratch natural Talc rock with your fingernail. By way of comparison: Aluminum has a Mohs of 2.5, Steel=4 to 4.5, the enamel on our teeth (if healthy) has a Mohs of 5, Glass=6, Tungsten used in Grenade Shrapnel has a Mohs of 8, and Diamond=10.

A metamorphic rock which is mostly made of Talc is Soapstone.
Soapstone is occasionally thrown up by the Narmada River.
You must have seen the soapstone idols, ashtrays and jewelry boxes available at Marble Rocks, Jabalpur.

Talc is typically powdered, perfumed and sold as talcum powder.(Imagine you're really dusting your face with powdered stone!).

Of course, haven't we all seen, inner tubes of tubed tyres which are well dusted with Talc. It lubricates them for fitment and preserves the rubber.

Ram
Old 5th March 2010, 17:11   #2893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Talc is a naturally occurring mineral.
hydrated magnesium silicate.

It is very soft (Mohs index = 1) You can scratch natural Talc rock with your fingernail. By way of comparison: Aluminum has a Mohs of 2.5, Steel=4 to 4.5, the enamel on our teeth (if healthy) has a Mohs of 5, Glass=6, Tungsten used in Grenade Shrapnel has a Mohs of 8, and Diamond=10.

A metamorphic rock which is mostly made of Talc is Soapstone.
Soapstone is occasionally thrown up by the Narmada River.
You must have seen the soapstone idols, ashtrays and jewelry boxes available at Marble Rocks, Jabalpur.

Talc is typically powdered, perfumed and sold as talcum powder.(Imagine you're really dusting your face with powdered stone!).

Of course, haven't we all seen, inner tubes of tubed tyres which are well dusted with Talc. It lubricates them for fitment and preserves the rubber.

Ram
Spot on bro . The said talc can be had from any tyre repair shop or supply store.
Old 5th March 2010, 18:31   #2894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Spot on bro . The said talc can be had from any tyre repair shop or supply store.
You mean that white powder they sprinkle on the insides of tyres before fitting the tubes in?
Old 5th March 2010, 21:17   #2895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean that white powder they sprinkle on the insides of tyres before fitting the tubes in?
Yep, infact in many application seals are dusted with talc to aid assembly.

The best liquid treatments (3M Rubber Dressing, Wurths, glycerene) are great for active use scenarios (exposure in daily / weekly driving in bad weather & sun exposure). Talc is great for periods of storage where there is minimal environmental exposure. Note that a lot of rubber parts are dusted with talc prior to packaging.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks