Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 01:14   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I think that you are mixing up something, or there are 2 early Fiat's in a basement off Peddar Road. This is NOT the car on Carmichael Road opp. Morarka Bungalow which used to lie on the footpath and then went in.
Please check.

Cheers harit
Hey, the colour shade and condition pretty much looks the same.. But I'll surely check and revert !
Old 8th January 2010, 10:55   #2672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey, the colour shade and condition pretty much looks the same.. But I'll surely check and revert !
Hi SuperSelect,

The car I was talking about is a lighter green, Chennai registred and an open tourer with the hood in place and up. It was restored a couple of times and always left to rot, first on the footpath and then in the basement.. If I remember it had solid disc wheels and a flat grill. You have not mentioned if the place I talked about is the same.
You say that colour shade and condition pretty much look the same, but these cars are substancially different.

Cheers harit
Old 8th January 2010, 23:12   #2673
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harit !
I think you're right. It is indeed a lighter green, though I somehow think it's also a metallic sort of green. I'm dying to go there and confirm, tomorrow itself if possible.
And yes, the location you mentioned is the same I meant, opp Morarka Bungalow. I lived in the adjacent building (Poornima) for almost a lifetime !
Old 9th January 2010, 01:52   #2674
BHPian

this seemingly 50's dukkar was spotted in pamposh enclave delhi. the guard nearby said it belonged to a retired judge. he said a lot of people offered to buy his car but he refuses to part with it.i am assuming they were all scrap dealers as few have any respect fr fiats in delhi. i would have tried talking to the owner but its maharashtra registered and i cant really get it transferred here in delhi. it seems very original and complete. though a lot of bodywork is required.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image014.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image015.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image021.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image030.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image034.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image035.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image036.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image037.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image038.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image039.jpg  

Old 9th January 2010, 10:51   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
this seemingly 50's dukkar was spotted in pamposh enclave delhi. the guard nearby said it belonged to a retired judge. he said a lot of people offered to buy his car but he refuses to part with it.i am assuming they were all scrap dealers as few have any respect fr fiats in delhi. i would have tried talking to the owner but its maharashtra registered and i cant really get it transferred here in delhi. it seems very original and complete. though a lot of bodywork is required.
Yup, even though rusted, the car looks original.
It is really sad to see the car rust in its place.
Old 9th January 2010, 11:27   #2676
Senior - BHPian

Wow this is one superbly original car. It has almost everything. Dont let it get away! I just cant stop looking at the superb condition of the grill.

Can you ask if he will part with it to some genuine Fiat collector. I am sure there are Many Bhp ians here who would want such a original car.
Old 9th January 2010, 11:52   #2677
Senior - BHPian

Hi, the car is really looking like a good project. Furthermore, if as you say it is Maharashtra registered, I'm sure many of us from Mumbai / Pune would love to get our hands on it.
Assuming the owner does not want to sell it to a scrapper, is it possible to find out if he'll sell it to a genuine buyer, and at what price ?
Old 9th January 2010, 17:45   #2678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
this seemingly 50's dukkar was spotted in pamposh enclave delhi. the guard nearby said it belonged to a retired judge.
i would have tried talking to the owner but its maharashtra registered and i cant really get it transferred here in delhi. it seems very original and complete. though a lot of bodywork is required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hi, the car is really looking like a good project. Furthermore, if as you say it is Maharashtra registered, I'm sure many of us from Mumbai / Pune would love to get our hands on it.
Boss, this is not a Maharashtra regn. at all! MSR = Madras (before it was renamed as TN)
But even this is a 60s Madras regn. so maybe the owner was originally a Delhitie who served at Madras and had the car trasnferred there with him, bringing it back to Delhi on retirement....? 'wonder why it wasnt re-registered in Delhi again in that case.
Anyways, pics. of the same car were posted previously by Behram or Cyrus a couple of years ago, forgot whether in this thread or another one. They say it's been lying at the same place for the last 20 years!!
In that case, the owner seems to be much too law-abiding to still paint the numberplates white with black letters!
It would still be restorable although would need an extensive rebuild. I presume since it was in Madras, the side-pattis were removed for fear of body-panels rusting. OR, as some millecentos did not come with the side-pattis at all (Karl posted pics. of one such car he knew of in Pune) this one didn't have them ever?

Last edited by Stanher : 9th January 2010 at 17:50.
Old 10th January 2010, 00:21   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Boss, this is not a Maharashtra regn. at all! MSR = Madras (before it was renamed as TN)

OR, as some millecentos did not come with the side-pattis at all (Karl posted pics. of one such car he knew of in Pune) this one didn't have them ever?
Faux pas buddy. Didn't see the plates properly.

Yes, some Millecentos DID come with no side trims, I know of a Mumbai car whose owner claims his car (bought new) had no side trims.
Old 10th January 2010, 14:12   #2680
BHPian

yesterday i went to the auto expo. there i went to the stall of hmci(heritage motoring club of india) and i bought their quarterly magazine in which it said that if u register a car as a classic your car doesnt need to meet most of the requirements that average cars have to meet.that includes emission norms. by that logic it should be possible to re register the above car in delhi. also i have read of behram sir registering a karnataka car in mumbai. mumbai being a metro should have the same rules as delhi. so the euro 3 rule doesnt apply here.

the above photos were taken a year and a half ago. i shal go and try find this car now. since i dont remember the exact location it will be difficult. also i am no good at convincing people to sell me classics. the more experienced lot though should hav better luck with that. but lets see if i can find it first
Old 10th January 2010, 15:31   #2681
BHPian

Quote:
yesterday i went to the auto expo. there i went to the stall of hmci(heritage motoring club of india) and i bought their quarterly magazine in which it said that if u register a car as a classic your car doesnt need to meet most of the requirements that average cars have to meet.that includes emission norms. by that logic it should be possible to re register the above car in delhi. also i have read of behram sir registering a karnataka car in mumbai. mumbai being a metro should have the same rules as delhi. so the euro 3 rule doesnt apply here.

the above photos were taken a year and a half ago. i shal go and try find this car now. since i dont remember the exact location it will be difficult. also i am no good at convincing people to sell me classics. the more experienced lot though should hav better luck with that. but lets see if i can find it first
Based on my expereince with the morris 1000 at least in kerala, there is no concession for vintage cars including emission norms. The MVI' even checked whether all the lamps were working and even suggested to fix an additional reverse light!!!
Old 10th January 2010, 15:43   #2682
BHPian

ok i just returned from my dukkar search. and yes the car is still there. is there any resto epert in delhi who is good at convincing ppl to sell them old classics. cuz i hav no experience at this and if someone helped me out, i would be extremely helpful. this is particularly important since the owner is reluctant to sell it
Old 10th January 2010, 17:15   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
Based on my expereince with the morris 1000 at least in kerala, there is no concession for vintage cars including emission norms. The MVI' even checked whether all the lamps were working and even suggested to fix an additional reverse light!!!
its unlikely that the info given in the magazine could be incorrect. its possible that you have been continuing with the original registeration of your vehicle where its registered as a normal car. surely converting the registeration to that of a classic requires some special procedures. its also unlikely that your average rto(regional transport office) official would himself know about the procedure, since its not like every rto gets a classic car to register on a regular basis.

the concessions according to the magazine covered pretty much all the requirements from a regular car, including size, reguar dual braking system(hand and foot brake), signalling lights, seatbelts,emission norms limit to 3% co, infact cars registered under this category dont need to even have a reverse gear.

can the experts on this topic shed some light here
Old 10th January 2010, 23:07   #2684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
yesterday i went to the auto expo. there i went to the stall of hmci(heritage motoring club of india) and i bought their quarterly magazine in which it said that if u register a car as a classic your car doesnt need to meet most of the requirements that average cars have to meet.that includes emission norms. by that logic it should be possible to re register the above car in delhi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
Quote:
its unlikely that the info given in the magazine could be incorrect. its possible that you have been continuing with the original registeration of your vehicle where its registered as a normal car. surely converting the registeration to that of a classic requires some special procedures. its also unlikely that your average rto(regional transport office) official would himself know about the procedure, since its not like every rto gets a classic car to register on a regular basis.
Even I, to the best of my knowledge, have not heard about this separate registration of a car as a classic with a local RTO. Does that mean it has to be re-registered or such? But all the HMCI cars I saw pics. of retain their original (many even outside Delhi) numbers.
Of course, the rules do vary a bit for RTOs in every state. If it is possible to register the Madras car at Delhi without reuqirement of NOC, taxes paid etc. then nothing like it!
We hope you do get the car btw. Good luck!

Last edited by Stanher : 10th January 2010 at 23:16.
Old 10th January 2010, 23:41   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Even I, to the best of my knowledge, have not heard about this separate registration of a car as a classic with a local RTO. Does that mean it has to be re-registered or such? But all the HMCI cars I saw pics. of retain their original (many even outside Delhi) numbers.
Of course, the rules do vary a bit for RTOs in every state. If it is possible to register the Madras car at Delhi without reuqirement of NOC, taxes paid etc. then nothing like it!
We hope you do get the car btw. Good luck!
Hi!
Different states have different rules.
Some states have a lifetime tax, others like Tamil Nadu, W. Bengal do not. In Maharashtra we have a concessional tax in three slabs, upto 1940, 1941 to 1950, 1951 to 1960. All that is required is a VCCCI certificate. So if one is in a state that does not help, then keep the paperwork and taxes upto date in which ever the car is presently registered in. We have a lot of concessions making it easy to register a car, obtain NOC etc. We even have a provision where unregistered cars can be registered on the basis of an undertaking and certificate issued by VCCCI. It is most unfortunate that VCCCI applies this fascility very very selectively, arbitrarily and in a discriminatory manner which is grossly unfair. And I can back that up with evidence, mane the cars that have been registered and quote conversations held with VCCCI officials. There is a notification for this issued by the government of Maharashtra.
Let us see where this will lead to.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks