Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 19:32   #2596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This car (and the story behind it) has been discussed extensively on the forum earlier, just do a search.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/858043-post1297.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1546721
Thanks kardosville for the info. Eventhough I have crossed that area a hundred times in a car, only today I noticed the house and the Hillman because I was on foot.

Did a search on the net and got the Following news from Express Buzz dated 31st-Oct-09:-

[COLOR=#0000ff]Ponnu Elizabeth Mathew[/COLOR]
First Published : 31 Oct 2009 08:23:42 AM IST
Last Updated :

BANGALORE: An unsolved murder. An abandoned car. A mansion on its last legs. Like a spinetingling plot from a scary movie, they stand in concert, echoing the many stories, rumours and quasi-truths that go around the Vaz residence on St Marks Road.
As I made my way up to the porch of this brick mansion, over broken bottles and empty packets of chips, I could not help remember the countless tales people have told me about the empty Vaz residence. As I looked at the forsaken Hillman Minx parked in the porch I wondered who was the last one to ride in it. Peering in through the open windows, I could see a scatter of colonial furniture caught in a profusion of cobwebs.

Abandoned since the time Dulcie Vaz was murdered in the house in 2001, the mansion has been a churning ground for ghost stories. Dulcie, the daughter of EJ Vaz, a lawyer was killed by unknown assailants when she was eighty. Her sister, Vera Vaz, is believed to be living in Bangalore. But no one knows where. Litigation has kept people at bay from this derelict house. Yet, others stay aloof because of some other reasons.

“People keep telling me of a lady walking around the house in the nights,” said Arjun, who works in the adjoining petrol bunk. “There are snakes there,” pitched in his co-worker. Yet, others like Pal, a security guard working in the adjoining apartments discard these as rubbish.

“Rumours!” he retorts.

What scares people is subjective.

Perhaps it’s something as small as a mouse.

Perhaps it’s the story of headless ghosts. For me, it’s the dentist’s chair. For my photographer, it looked like the house itself. When we stuck our camera in through one of the broken windows, feeling the cold air hitting our faces, did we sense something extraordinary? “I can feel some movements inside,” exclaimed my photographer.

Looking in the direction he was pointing, I too sensed some motion. But it took some time for our fearconditioned brains to comprehend that they were just our own shadows!
Old 21st December 2009, 23:50   #2597
Senior - BHPian

Ah !! The last Ghost in Town

The Gost driven hillman.

feel sorry to hear the story of an aged women , Let she RIP
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:57   #2598
Senior - BHPian

Both the car and the bunglow are very restorable. I am sure all the talks are just rumours. Someone who might have been trying to get hold of the property might be doing it to shoo away any potential buyers
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:22   #2599
BHPian

Quote:
This car (and the story behind it) has been discussed extensively on the forum earlier, just do a search.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/858043-post1297.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1546721
I had also photographed this car last year! Check out the pics: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post858043 (Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars)
Old 25th December 2009, 10:52   #2600
Distinguished - BHPian

I had seen this very original Fiat Select, circe 1959/60, in Pune a couple of years back. Pretty much everything in place, great bodyline, nothing major to be done. Tried to trace the owner but with no luck. Sad, as this definitely was a car worth saving.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fiat01.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fiat02.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fiat03.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fiat04.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2009, 11:40   #2601
BHPian

I have seen a big american car inside a large estate near Thodupuzha .could be a chevy.according to the worker there it has been in that shed for the last 35+ years.dont know whether this is known to the forum.
Old 26th December 2009, 01:23   #2602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had seen this very original Fiat Select, circe 1959/60, in Pune a couple of years back. Pretty much everything in place, great bodyline, nothing major to be done. Tried to trace the owner but with no luck. Sad, as this definitely was a car worth saving.
So much original stuff yaar..
Karl, is this the same car that supposedly belongs to a driving school owner - Kale or something like that ? I forget the exact location.
Gawwwd - we could use those clip wheels !!

Last edited by SuperSelect : 26th December 2009 at 01:24.
Old 26th December 2009, 08:44   #2603
BHPian

@ Karl,
There is so much original stuff on this car. Have you picked it up or not ??
Please try to get those clip wheels for Ravi.
BTW, are those front side lights are original & does Selects used to have fuel cap on their left side ?? Is that rear boot opening handle is original ?? Other thing is that what is that small thing placed near the front doors which I have circled ??
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-copy-fiat02-medium.jpg  

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 26th December 2009 at 08:47. Reason: Addition of questions.
Old 26th December 2009, 10:34   #2604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
BTW, are those front side lights are original & does Selects used to have fuel cap on their left side ?? Is that rear boot opening handle is original ?? Other thing is that what is that small thing placed near the front doors which I have circled ??
All the parts you question (except the handle on the bootlid, they originally had just the button) are OHH REE GEE NAL with respect to selects.

The small part you circled is just a trim piece, also original to selects.
Old 26th December 2009, 14:26   #2605
Distinguished - BHPian

An update on the Chevy Covair I had posted earlier

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1538703-post2425.html

See the progression!

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-corvair01.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-chevy01.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-001.jpg

She appears to have been recently rammed into by a truck unloading debri or something like that. What a shame.

Ram and me visited the site only to see the car in this state now. The flat 6 rear mounted engine is still in place.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-002.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-003.jpg
Old 26th December 2009, 15:30   #2606
Senior - BHPian

Who owns the poor thing? In my opinion still can be saved. Though everyday becomes a uphill task!
Old 26th December 2009, 15:33   #2607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Who owns the poor thing? In my opinion still can be saved. Though everyday becomes a uphill task!
Kaisa save karega buddy ? I guess the only saving grace is the Pune weather, otherwise she would've been a heap of rust by now.
What a shame..
Old 26th December 2009, 15:35   #2608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
She appears to have been recently rammed into by a truck unloading debri or something like that. What a shame.
Aw man, that is SO sad!!! A real waste of an otherwise good car!!

What's happened of the Ford Corsair that was also thrown out of the place alongwith this car?
Old 26th December 2009, 18:39   #2609
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Sreepati's Garage where KPS is restoring his Plymouth. My god so many classics(rusting ones) there!!!

Have anyone posted the cars parked there?? Else I will post them.

Last edited by arun1100 : 26th December 2009 at 18:52.
Old 26th December 2009, 21:29   #2610
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
I had been to Sreepati's Garage where KPS is restoring his Plymouth. My god so many classics(rusting ones) there!!!

Have anyone posted the cars parked there?? Else I will post them.
Yes arun, a sad place to go. Sreepati is one Undertaker for creating such a vintage and classic graveyard.

Quote:

See the progression!

Ram and me visited the site only to see the car in this state now. The flat 6 rear mounted engine is still in place.
This car is certainly abandoned,deserted and uncared for.

Karl why dont you just tow it and atleast save this rare piece.

That Flat 6 , Twin carb engine is to die for.

Oh only if i was there

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 26th December 2009 at 21:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks