Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 14:52   #2206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Well, strictly speaking these are not govt. property, Govt is a mere custodian. But they fail miserably to look after such property, though they are supposed to. That is why whenever there is a case, people try to get back such evidence and keep in their custody but have to undertake to make available whenever required to be produced when a case is going on. So in the first place the govt as a custodian has to keep in better shape. They could start by winding up the glasses, and the govt can help by expediting cases.
Without being judgemental here, that does not give anyone the right to take away anything from cars which are in governmental or any other custody, though i dont disagree that i would have not done the same. as this ones not being kept, its being destroyed, and no body cares.....Still!!
Old 28th July 2009, 14:58   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Without being judgemental here, that does not give anyone the right to take away anything from cars which are in governmental or any other custody, though i dont disagree that i would have not done the same. as this ones not being kept, its being destroyed, and no body cares.....Still!!
Agreed with you sir completely.We should try and find a way of getting these cars.Mayb who knows a new law mayb made according to which we may be able to buy these cars from the government auctions.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th July 2009 at 17:09. Reason: Post edited. Will PM you with a reason. Thanks.
Old 28th July 2009, 20:53   #2208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I think you should have avoided taking such items from "GOVERNMENT PROPERTY".it is unethical!!!
these cars are no possessions of the government. i have seen a whole lot of vehicles outside P.S. or inside compounds which are totally rotting away or people taking away parts. i am not taking about ambys or fiats, but some really good cars. those cars will collapse, or be scrapped a couple of years later.

if anyone sources parts from them, i don't think it is unethical or wrong. atleast those parts will be saved from fading away. the cars should be saved somehow and if the government fails to do so, then we must. this is what we are here for.
Old 29th July 2009, 00:37   #2209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Please see my post carefully. I never said that it is right to steal/flick any part, I only tried to clarify that these are not strictly government property.

No, one should never take the parts just like that. Eventually someone else will break or steal them. And what is finally left will go to the scrappy.
Better approach the authorities nearest to that yard and offer to make a donation to a religious place and ask for the part. All will have a clear conscience and someone will benefit from the thought of having saved a part for mankind

And whatever you did, keep it to yourself. It will be between you and your conscience.
Cheers harit
Old 29th July 2009, 01:56   #2210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And whatever you did, keep it to yourself. It will be between you and your conscience.
Cheers harit

Really nice way of putting things in place instead of being rude or having a show down.
Old 29th July 2009, 03:12   #2211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Better approach the authorities nearest to that yard and offer to make a donation to a religious place and ask for the part. All will have a clear conscience and someone will benefit from the thought of having saved a part for mankind

Cheers harit
very well said, next time I go there will take the tool box along and cash to make donation.
Old 30th July 2009, 14:08   #2212
Distinguished - BHPian

Another huge classic falling to pieces, identified here as a 1936 Dodge sedan

SVVS Web Assistance with Classic, Vintage and Veteran Cars

Quote:
Fascinating photo received from Mike Hogh of Richmond, Surrey, (UK) taken during a recent holiday in Northern Goa, India. The car was in a garage beside the presbytery, the priest having long since forsaken it in favour of the scooter! The whole car was covered in a remarkably even layer of rust but there was no maker's name, nor indeed any marks at all. It is in fact a 1936 Dodge Sedan made by the Chrysler Corporation.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1936_dodge_sedan.jpg  

Old 30th July 2009, 16:14   #2213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Well, when I was shown this car it was described as a Chrysler 1936, very similar to the car which was white in colour and recently sold in Mumbai. That very car was earlier black, and in Bangalore.
The owner also claims that it was used in the shooting of the movie Sea Wolves in Goa.
She is lying in Calangute.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:19   #2214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, when I was shown this car it was described as a Chrysler 1936, very similar to the car which was white in colour and recently sold in Mumbai. That very car was earlier black, and in Bangalore.
The owner also claims that it was used in the shooting of the movie Sea Wolves in Goa.

Hi do you have any pics of this car?

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th July 2009 at 17:08. Reason: Post edited. Will PM you with a reason. Thanks.
Old 31st July 2009, 10:23   #2215
BHPian

Quote:
can be a chrysler harit bhai, chrysler corp. sometime badge engineered their existing models to higher spec marques for the colonial markets to cover cost of duty and stay competitive, so a dodge could be badged a chrysler, and a plymouth a dodge( eg. the 4 cylinder 1933/34 dodge in delhi) the 1931 chrysler i had is almost identical in spec to the desoto in bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
All,

Tks for the good advice, well I don't see any crime in doing so but should not have been vocal about it. Sometimes you get tempted after seeing good original stuff that you cannot resist. I still regret on not getting the Horn Button, cabin lights, and much more good stuff which is otherwise not available.

Will be more discreet in my communication henceforth.
my friend i see no crime in publicly lynching corrupt officials, but its still against the law, and pray that the owner of that fiat doesn't visit this forum, because this is such a nice opportunity to make you pay through your nose for that badge you couldn't resist.
if i were the owner i would bring charges against the the police,who are in all likelihood legally responsible for the safekeeping of that car. they would of course do the needful to clear their name.... i assure you, it wouldn't be hard to trace you.... and attribute every other missing part to to you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2009 at 20:31. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 31st July 2009, 15:20   #2216

Hi Esskay,
The Fleetmaster is disputed , grounded in lucknow , the owner is an adovacte.I had met him several times but he is not turning up to sell it. The car had a braking problem , & is rotting up from floor & back

Quote:
Originally Posted by esskay View Post
Found somewhere in UttarPradesh
Old 31st July 2009, 17:09   #2217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Karl this car would have been the base on which that Ambulance in Calcutta was created, so horse racing club that John had posted pics of.

A similar car but badged as a Chrysler was with our family till the early 90's then sold on to a collector in Sec Bad who painted it black and I think still owns it... A Chrysler Windsor Sedan

Last edited by wasif : 31st July 2009 at 17:11.
Old 31st July 2009, 17:53   #2218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hi do you have any pics of this car?
I am not sure about which car pic you are talking. The picture of the rusty Goa car has already been put up.
A pic of the Chrysler I referred to from Bangalore (black) and now white is attached. Looking closer, it does seem that the Goa car is indeed a Dodge. The body shell seems identical, but the smaller grills on either side of the radiator appear different, round for Chrysler and rectangular for Dodge.

Cheers harit

Wasif, does this car look familiar? Registration is Andhra.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-chrysler.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 31st July 2009 at 17:54.
Old 31st July 2009, 18:12   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about which car pic you are talking. The picture of the rusty Goa car has already been put up.
A pic of the Chrysler I referred to from Bangalore (black) and now white is attached. Looking closer, it does seem that the Goa car is indeed a Dodge. The body shell seems identical, but the smaller grills on either side of the radiator appear different, round for Chrysler and rectangular for Dodge.

Cheers harit

Yes i was talking about this car.Looks quite nice!
Old 31st July 2009, 18:50   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit

Harit.
I think this is the car I was speaking of. It was originally a light chocolet brown when it was with the family of Col. Ishaq, my uncle who was the original owner from new. He had five sons and all of them went to their mariages in this car.

It was later sold as most of his family moved to the states and went to a dealer / restorer / collector in Sec Bad. This gent painted it black and had the interior lining done in a non period maroon fabric.

In all probability it was sold on and is in Bangalore now. I just got to Hyderabad today and will be checking on this amongst others.

BTW flew over Bombay last night and was wondering what you, Karl, V16 etc would have been up to !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks