Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2009, 21:34   #2176

Quote:
the second are of a fiat 125

Does anyone have more info on this 125??? I know someone who would love to pick it up asap.
Old 5th July 2009, 22:42   #2177
Distinguished - BHPian

A Model A Ford and VW Beetle await restoration in Goa

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-12.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-13.jpg
Old 5th July 2009, 22:53   #2178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Attachment 154776
Attachment 154777
The VW Beetle looks like a victim of long time neglect. The Ford Model A though appears to have been in use till maybe a few years back.
Old 5th July 2009, 23:19   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
i think it is the old jims garage next to Forum in bangalore where the vauxhall is parked
I remember seeing this same car and house somewhere at Koramangala, while I was passing through that area on my last visit to Bangalore.

There were a few fallen coconut tree leaves surrounding the car then.

Only I'd then mistaken it to be an Austin Somerset.
Old 6th July 2009, 00:42   #2180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
The Land Rover Defender looks really awesome, stills the whole show !!!!
Try for the more pics of Land Rover Defender & also Fiat (600?), please !!!
Its not a defender. Its a series III SWB
Old 6th July 2009, 00:46   #2181
Senior - BHPian

what's the use of restoring that beetle, its a total "gone" case!! the ford looks ok to me.
Old 6th July 2009, 11:04   #2182
Senior - BHPian

Defend the defender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
The Land Rover Defender looks really awesome, stills the whole show !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Its not a defender. Its a series III SWB
Dhrishikesh, lemme elaborate SirAlec's point a bit. I believe you saw the classical shape and called it a Defender. But actually the name "Defender" was not used on this car until 1990. Till then these car's were only named after their wheelbase in inches. The Land Rover 80", for example, is one with an 80" wheelbase.

This particular car is a Series III 88" SWB (Short Wheelbase).

SirAlec, any disconnect on this one?
Old 6th July 2009, 11:32   #2183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I wnet to this garage to see a Honda accord for sale (not buying it though) and came across this nice but forlorn looking Chevy Fleetmaster languishing in a dark corner of the garage! 'looks like quite a complete car atleast on the outside. ...
Attachment 150991
All Chev sixes from 1930 to 1954 interchange both as complete engines and bolt in. But if you want to drive the car everyday without a problem look for a 1955-1965 235 Pressure fed engine. All the pre 1955 engines are splash fed con rods and unless you are veery experienced at setting up the "lucky dippers" you will not have reliable engine.
The booster he is talking about ias a vacuum shift booster so the car is indeed a 1946.
The Stude is a 46-48 commander.
Chev parts are both Cheap and easy to find on the Web so that car is a very good find and well worth buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan View Post
sorry didnt get any of the beetle. will get it the next time i go up there. there were two betles up there a black one and a red(?) one.
Ankan,the red one is a Renault 750 or 4CV .A very popular car for restoration and general tuning. I saw two here in Australia this last weekend at a car show. One had a Renualt R12 engine ,the other was supercharged.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-r4cva2.jpg
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Attachment 154777
1930 or 31 Tourer and Very restorable. Models A's are made from really good steel and it takes a lot for one to become unrestorable, besides which there are enough new parts available to almost build a complete car if you had the $$$$

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th July 2009 at 21:05. Reason: Please see the instructions on uploading images to the Team-BHP server, in the Announcements section. Thanks.
Old 6th July 2009, 22:50   #2184

Any update on that Fiat 125???
Old 6th July 2009, 22:59   #2185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Dhrishikesh, lemme elaborate SirAlec's point a bit. I believe you saw the classical shape and called it a Defender. But actually the name "Defender" was not used on this car until 1990. Till then these car's were only named after their wheelbase in inches. The Land Rover 80", for example, is one with an 80" wheelbase.

This particular car is a Series III 88" SWB (Short Wheelbase).

SirAlec, any disconnect on this one?
what does that mean.
but to put in finer points. Earlier Series I produced between 48-51 had 80 inch. which also happens to be the wheel base of Willys MB on which the LR was initially made.

Defender was also named based on their wheelbase. like Defender 90, 110 and rare 130.
Old 7th July 2009, 19:26   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
i think it is the old jims garage next to Forum in bangalore where the vauxhall is parked
Yes, this property is next to Forum Mall on Hosur Road.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:43   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
what does that mean.
but to put in finer points. Earlier Series I produced between 48-51 had 80 inch. which also happens to be the wheel base of Willys MB on which the LR was initially made.

Defender was also named based on their wheelbase. like Defender 90, 110 and rare 130.
The First land rovers were all Rover with no Willy's parts any where. They are very tiny compared with even the series 1 and nothing much interchanges. the diffs for example cannot be swapped around. I used to swap in Rover 90 diff heads into land rovers for customers so they could drive on the high way with engine turning slower but I couldn't fit them into the early (1948) LR diffs because they were too small.
I have seen some of those early Rovers for sale in the USA strangely enough.
If you find a relic somewhere you can tell if they are the early type by the size of the Speedo,it's only 2" diameter and there is a grill covering the headlights completely.
Old 10th July 2009, 01:31   #2188
Senior - BHPian

hi

some info on the chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I tried to PM you, but it says that administrators are instructed by you to block that. How rude!
So now you can PM me your email and if you like your mobile number.

Cheers harit
Old 10th July 2009, 01:42   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
The First land rovers were all Rover with no Willy's parts any where. They are very tiny compared with even the series 1 and nothing much interchanges. the diffs for example cannot be swapped around. I used to swap in Rover 90 diff heads into land rovers for customers so they could drive on the high way with engine turning slower but I couldn't fit them into the early (1948) LR diffs because they were too small.
If you find a relic somewhere you can tell if they are the early type by the size of the Speedo,it's only 2" diameter and there is a grill covering the headlights completely.
A long time ago, many moons ago, I had seen a picture of a Land Rover prototype. The steering wheel was in the center. There was admittedly some influence of the Jeep, but parts were sourced from Rover.

They also built experimental 4 wheel drive eatate cars where now very few are surviving. Just cannot get the name, similar to Land/Range Rover this was also a XXX-Rover.
Old 11th July 2009, 23:13   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
Harit is right. The real reason that Landrover was born was due to one bloke named Maurice Wilks' Willys whose constantly used to breakdown while working in his farm in Newborough, England. ANd sourcing parts from the US was a pain. ANd coincidently that bloke also happen to be the influential chief designer of Rover.

What he did was took a Willys chasis, put up some War surplus aluminium on it and painted it with war surplus army green, plonked extra Rover engine and hence LR was born

Last edited by SirAlec : 11th July 2009 at 23:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks