Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2009, 18:21   #2146
Senior - BHPian

I wnet to this garage to see a Honda accord for sale (not buying it though) and came across this nice but forlorn looking Chevy Fleetmaster languishing in a dark corner of the garage! 'looks like quite a complete car atleast on the outside.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-chev01.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-chev02.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3204.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3205.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3206.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3208.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3209.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3210.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3211.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3212.jpg

'turns out the car had come for an engine rebuild, and the engine had been taken out and, as seen, placed in another end of the garage. It appears to be a straight 6. Due to lack of parts locally available, it's been at a standstill since! Luckily they haven't disposed of the car as yet.

Engine needs replacement for more or less all the parts, namely pistons, conrods, bearings etc. For that, it would be as practical to find a replacement engine in working condition. The mech. incharge also told me that the car also needs a replacement "gearbox booster"(?)

BTW, the mech. told me it's a '46 fleetmaster, but then I noticed the "GM 48" stamp on the engine block and concluded that it's a '48?

Anyways, I remember harit mentioning that a '51-52 chevy engine was available in Bombay. I'd asked if this engine would fit a '46-48 chevy and he said it sure would, only the plugs are different on the 2 engines.

harit- if the engine you mentioned still is available, please let me know further details!

I'm sure your help would be much appreciated in bringing this car back on the road.
Also if anyone can find the rear/boot monogram for this model, well and good.

And right beside the chevy, is a Studebaker in relatively worse condition sinking into the ground!

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3207.jpg
Old 22nd June 2009, 18:51   #2147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I wnet to this garage to see a Honda accord for sale (not buying it though) and came across this nice but forlorn looking Chevy Fleetmaster languishing in a dark corner of the garage! 'looks like quite a complete car atleast on the outside.

'turns out the car had come for an engine rebuild, and the engine had been taken out and, as seen, placed in another end of the garage. It appears to be a straight 6. Due to lack of parts locally available, it's been at a standstill since! Luckily they haven't disposed of the car as yet.

Engine needs replacement for more or less all the parts, namely pistons, conrods, bearings etc. For that, it would be as practical to find a replacement engine in working condition. The mech. incharge also told me that the car also needs a replacement "gearbox booster"(?)

BTW, the mech. told me it's a '46 fleetmaster, but then I noticed the "GM 48" stamp on the engine block and concluded that it's a '48?

Anyways, I remember harit mentioning that a '51-52 chevy engine was available in Bombay. I'd asked if this engine would fit a '46-48 chevy and he said it sure would, only the plugs are different on the 2 engines.

harit- if the engine you mentioned still is available, please let me know further details!

I'm sure your help would be much appreciated in bringing this car back on the road.
Also if anyone can find the rear/boot monogram for this model, well and good.

And right beside the chevy, is a Studebaker in relatively worse condition sinking into the ground!
I tried to PM you, but it says that administrators are instructed by you to block that. How rude!
So now you can PM me your email and if you like your mobile number.

Cheers harit
Old 22nd June 2009, 19:56   #2148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Its great how finds like these never cease to dry up.

How long has the Chevy been there? Looks to be in good order overall. Hyderabad weather has been kind to it. Does the Studebaker have most important parts like engine and dash intact?
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:12   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Wow love the colour on the chevy, similar to the peacock blue on fiats was this colour originally offered? I assume these cars are not up for grabs or are they? Or have you grabbed them already
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:21   #2150
BHPian

By the looks of it, seems like the car had come for engine as well as bodywork/paintjob - the color, though very dirty now, looks brand new!!
Old 22nd June 2009, 22:38   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I tried to PM you, but it says that administrators are instructed by you to block that. How rude!
So now you can PM me your email and if you like your mobile number.
Geez! I can't believe this! I'm surprised as I'm sure I never requested the admins to block pm from ANYONE!

Anyways, if pm is not possible, do feel free to email me: eskaycee@gmail.com

Thanks a lot!

Karl, no idea how long the chevy's been there. The fact that it still sports the black plates says that it could've been there for more than 5 years. But I'm just hoping it isn't too long. Hyderabad weather or not, lucky it was inside all along!
Uh, how could I tell if the studey has the engine and dash intact?? With all those mountains of junk stuffed over and inside it! From what little I can make out, it seems to have the steering wheel and maybe speedo intact.

Amol, no question of me being able to buy the car for now even if it comes up for grabs! Nothing to grab from the studey though, except maybe for the one door handle it's got!
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:54   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Mini Bullet

The picture talks the story
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image037.jpg
Old 25th June 2009, 01:20   #2153
Senior - BHPian

For years and years and years i used to think this is BABY HINDUSTAN (1000 TIGER). From the earliest days of my life i am seeing this car inside the garage, slowly and silently detoriating, but could not get a better view of it. The car comes out only on the day of "rathayatra" BUT, the owners/familymembers keep it in such a place, that not even the neighbors can find it. Astonishingly this time (today), the car was out BUT, was parked outside the house & for the 1st time i saw the car from the front. Boy, the interiors are so messed up, the underbody is fully rusted and will collapse if every 5 of the people boards in.
BUT, the shocker is that it's a real Morris Minor and the owner said it still has the original motor. the sad part is he won't sell it, ever!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-240609_120121.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-240609_120104.jpg  

Old 25th June 2009, 11:27   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Minor Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
For years and years and years i used to think this is BABY HINDUSTAN (1000 TIGER). From the earliest days of my life i am seeing this car inside the garage, slowly and silently detoriating, but could not get a better view of it. The car comes out only on the day of "rathayatra" BUT, the owners/familymembers keep it in such a place, that not even the neighbors can find it. Astonishingly this time (today), the car was out BUT, was parked outside the house & for the 1st time i saw the car from the front. Boy, the interiors are so messed up, the underbody is fully rusted and will collapse if every 5 of the people boards in.
BUT, the shocker is that it's a real Morris Minor and the owner said it still has the original motor. the sad part is he won't sell it, ever!!
Very picturesque speech!

Yesterday was Rathyatra, Amit. Probably why the family kept with tradition and brought out the car. Maybe they use it as the Rath? Put in an idol, tie a rope to it and make the kids in the family tow it!

Jokes apart, its a 1950 (Highlight) Series MM Morris Minor. I'm not able to make out clearly from the pics you posted, but the body certainly looks pretty tatty and out of hope for restoration. Where is this lying in Kolkata?
Old 25th June 2009, 13:23   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Very picturesque speech!

Yesterday was Rathyatra, Amit. Probably why the family kept with tradition and brought out the car. Maybe they use it as the Rath? Put in an idol, tie a rope to it and make the kids in the family tow it!

Jokes apart, its a 1950 (Highlight) Series MM Morris Minor. I'm not able to make out clearly from the pics you posted, but the body certainly looks pretty tatty and out of hope for restoration. Where is this lying in Kolkata?
if the family members turned it into a rath, lord jaganath & others (with all due respect) would hurt themselves, because of the condition of the underbody. i could see the road below from inside the car. such is the condition!!
anyways i always want a MM to be in my garage & it is lying a couple of lanes ahead of the place where the red pennant was stationed.
Old 25th June 2009, 13:50   #2156
Senior - BHPian

Minor does matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
anyways i always want a MM to be in my garage
In that case, my advice would be to leave this car well alone. Morris Minors seem to be relatively common in Kolkata. I have come across atleast 8 MMs (needing restoration/being restored/fitted with a padmini engine and even one in mint condition) in the last 2 months in and around Kolkata. Finding a decent example seems far easier than getting the owner to sell it!

In case you need help regarding series identification/sourcing or any matter (or just a chat) dont hesitate to PM me.
Old 28th June 2009, 20:08   #2157
Senior - BHPian

'came across this real sad sight that also made me feel guilty today! While driving through a locality in Secunderabad, I spotted in a lane this mk3 (4-door) Herald that I happened to recognise!
I'd seen this very car for sale, then owned by an Army officer at Sec'bad, back in 2001-02. It was quite a complete, tidy car then, with most of the original fittings (inc. front grille, trims) intact except that it had an LPG kit fitted by him!
I'd even driven it around on a trial.
It's a '70-71 model, he was the third owner...bought the car for his daughter's use, from his Army colleague who'd brought it from Pune.
And the original colour (as I'd seen mentioned in the RC) was Powder Blue.
I know this sounds stupid but I ultimately didnt go for it as my dad discouraged me. And never saw the car again until today.
I don't know when he did sell it and how many hands it passed through since. But I was shocked to see the same car in this condition today!

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mhh1.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mhh02.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mhh03.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3272.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3274.jpg

On enquiring I was told that it now belongs to a mechanic in the nearby lane. He's removed the front wheels/suspension to do them up, and was told that he is likely to sell it after that.
I was told this car was parked here only for the last 3 months! 'could be true as it hasn't gone through too much damage barring the broken left headlight and rear windscreen, which was the work of the local kids I'm told.

I now feel guilty for not having gone for the car then, which otherwise most probably wouldnt have resulted in it's present state!
Much like the mythical ancient mariner who repented over killing the noble albatross (bird)...:sigh:

I may or may not be in a position to afford restoring this car for now but if anyone else is, I can help you out on this. I even have a Herald rear windscreen at home. 'even had an original mk3 Herald grille lying around at home, eventually misplaced by my folks sometime!

Last edited by Stanher : 28th June 2009 at 20:15.
Old 29th June 2009, 22:51   #2158
BHPian

Ford Y 8 HP

I picked up this ford Y England 1936, cost in that year 100 Pounds.
This car was bought as a donor car to salvage another one which i am working on.
It was brought from Nasik,for a small sum,and the transport to Pune cost more than the car itself.
I Was at a loss as to the method of unloading as the wheels were jammed and no crane was available to lift it off.
So i got out my 4X4 Scorpion put a chain on the hook and pulled it down from the truck.
The picture shows the result.
I have removed the suspension,steering and engine, and left the remains to RIP.
M.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image001.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image002.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image004.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-image003.jpg  

Old 30th June 2009, 00:03   #2159
BHPian

Car in question Cadillac?

I would guess it is a Type 850y, 1934 Auburn. For comparison go to hubcapcafe.com and peruse the ACD line up. Gorgeous car, regardless of the make.
Old 30th June 2009, 01:03   #2160
BHPian

I don't think the Cadillac or Oldsmobile fits. GM cars of the mid thirties used side vent panels. I would still go with a 34 Auburn, type 850.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks