Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 14:33   #1831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
There is one here that was (and I'm sure still is!) for sale, a '67 mk2.

The price is too atrocious though, and every time I hear about it, I find a higher price being quoted for it!
once the cars get noticed by a few guys the price automatically goes up , i guess we get too excited and our enthusiasm gives way , coz we might end up going and looking at the cars too many times

the station wagon parked next to the merc is definitely an after market job , the size of the tail lamps looks similar to the ones we used to find on those tourist buses before .

also in the actual pic of the stationwagon , i see a chrome strip/garnish/lining/beading on the tail lamps , i want to get those on mine or i willl have to get them made. i have seen those in many hearalds on uk sites, were they o.e here in india?

Last edited by siddartha : 17th January 2009 at 14:39.
Old 17th January 2009, 15:17   #1832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, gogi! This is one startling revelation!

'never imagined you're an ex-herald owner! hehe...
Well thats the story my man, i was and also almost bought a 62 herald but then a friend wanted it so i didnt follow up. needless to say that car no one picked up and i learnt with regret that sometime in the not so distant past after i gave up on it, it was scrapped for 4000 bucks!!

Quote:
Difficult to tell without pics. but from your description I presume the car indeed was a triumph, although I doubt if it really was a herald 1200, as those came with the "normal" early herald type bonnets (as on the mk1 standard herald) and didn't have twin webers but single solex. carbs:
Quote:
So I suspect it was actually a Triumph Vitesse that you had (wow!) just badged as a herald 1200.
Did it have a 6 cyl. engine??
Sir, give me some credit to recognize a Vitesse form an ordinary herald. No it had a four pot.
No, it was definitely an Indian Herald modified heavily by the owner (who was into racing) and thats why the twin Webbers were there, not because it was an accidental Vitesse. I never said the Wenbbers were original, they only came fitted with my ex- car.

Quote:
Got any pics. of the car when you had it, or if you could take any now?
Yes i had pics which i cant find (as usual). I can get it but will have to see where its dumped at present. Hes also lost the books of the car and thats going to be a problem.

It was mettalic blueish and had an electric fan plus headers plus a heavily modded engine by Suresh Naik, of the "Malgam-Naik Hanuman" fame. So it flew and flew and we had a difficult time trying to stop it with those teeny original brakes. But it drew a lot of attention. I remember smoking a Zen in it hollow.

Quote:
OR, could've been indeed a 1200 with a Vitesse bonnet and maybe even engine (which explians the twin webers), modded up this way by your friend, or a previous owner before it came to India?
That i dont know. Well it was born in India and modified here.

Quote:
Now.......one question- WHY WHY WHY did you ever feel like letting it go??!!!
You know, one does do stupid things sometimes. Nobody's perfect.
Old 17th January 2009, 18:53   #1833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Most interesting. It is based on a Mk 3 Companion (4 door), but Ive never seen a rear end like that! Very possibly a factory prototype, also possible its an owner modification.
OMG! 'just saw the pics. and my heart fellllllllll!!!!

Karl, can't you make out, the rear end's been all buggered up!!
It IS indeed anorther rare mk3 companion, like the brown one I posted.......but the rear hatch has been buggered up, so have the fuel-tank filler hole and (WORST OF ALL- ARGGHH!!) the tail-lights!!!

What a sad thing to do to such a rare car! :sob: :sniff:

Still, I suspect it can be set right.

More later, when I calm down........sorry!
Old 18th January 2009, 12:53   #1834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
That kinda circular tail lights were used for the Starline body built Premier Padminis too in the 1970's.The placing was also similar in Padminis(I will post a Padmini Starline picture). Guess this Mark 3 Companion must have undergone some touch-ups like the fin near the original tail lights, Starline like tail lights and the modified petrol filler cover.
Now this is making most sense, an aftermarket Starline(esque) job.

Quote:
Karl, can't you make out, the rear end's been all buggered up!
Indeed, but in such instances one can't rule out the probability of it being a factory job as well. It does seem fairly professionally put together. So I still keep all options open, but am leaning towards Starline on this one. They made Fiats and Ambys as well, so why not a Companion.
Old 18th January 2009, 16:14   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Now this is making most sense, an aftermarket Starline(esque) job.
Indeed, but in such instances one can't rule out the probability of it being a factory job as well. It does seem fairly professionally put together. So I still keep all options open, but am leaning towards Starline on this one. They made Fiats and Ambys as well, so why not a Companion.
Well, professional or otherwise, I can be more than 100% sure it is not a Standard motor co. factory job! It might have been done up later by starline or some local customizer, but the whole job has tell-tale signs of an aftermarket job, rather than factory, namely the fuel-filler flap, and also the tail-fins have been retained, even "extended" over the rear bumper guards, which could've been taken off completely.

It's definitely done out of "creativity" on part of the owner or the garage that did this.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:56   #1836
Senior - BHPian

From the web: "Made only for a year (1970), And according to Shyam Krishnamachary, VERY rare now. This is actually the rarest of all - a 1969 (Madras) factory prototype, with 4 headlamps as per Triumph Vitesse." - This has the 4 headlamps too...
Attachment 90529

That rear styling reminds me of CHevy Corvette. converted into a station wagon..
Old 19th January 2009, 13:10   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
From the web: "Made only for a year (1970), And according to Shyam Krishnamachary,[/ATTACH]

A.k.a stanher! A small world isn't it??
Old 19th January 2009, 14:41   #1838
BHPian

the parking lights and the indicators found on the front bumpers look like there from an amby.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:01   #1839
BHPian

please can you let me know if this millicento for sale or atleast i can get the front grill.

Please let me know if any millicento parts for sale
Old 19th January 2009, 18:26   #1840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
A.k.a stanher! A small world isn't it??
Indeed, sherlo(c)k chettAn!
Old 21st January 2009, 18:22   #1841
Senior - BHPian

once up on a time I was king

If this car was able to talk it coulod have told that "Once up on a time I was a king admired by people around"
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-merc.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-merc-1.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-merc-2.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-merc-3.jpg  

Old 21st January 2009, 18:29   #1842
Senior - BHPian

spotted at a scrap market near ma home , I think its still in a restorable condition
Old 21st January 2009, 19:16   #1843

That is a real shame. I really dont get how one can do that to a mercedes. And that too a 115!!! And the interiors seem to be in pretty good nick!! Definately restorable!
Old 24th January 2009, 14:27   #1844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
That is a real shame. I really dont get how one can do that to a mercedes. And that too a 115!!! And the interiors seem to be in pretty good nick!! Definately restorable!
Sorry, but I did not get the drift of this post.

This car is in a very sad state. Junk is a better word, only useful for some spares.
The body is completely rotten, it will have to rebuilt with huge patches. Then the rear body line after the doors shows signs of sagging, a terminal problem with these cars and fintails also.
We do not know about the mechanicals, it seems to have been a 200D, does it still have the original engine? Or replaced by a Traveller unit.
Lastly, what is so special about a 115? Normally nothing, unless it is very very original, then it is a good car to use. But spending so much money to restore is worthless. This would not be the first 115 scrapped.
I do not understand why you are in awe when a 115 is so bad that it should be scrapped, when you see so many Fiats in much much better condition also being scrapped. You see, a project should be worth its while, there are many criteria like rarity, marque and model involved, economics, desirability, provenance etc.
Old 24th January 2009, 14:56   #1845
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gogi - on the Heralds - I read your posts on the Herald on the last page. Yes I know you had a green one and if my memory is correct, the name of the last owner was one Mr.Kotwal, a tall bearded chap, right? He is the same fellow who entered the 1983 MASA rally with Mr.Minoo Nanavaty as his navigator in his Fiat. His rally number was 13, mine was 14. I overtook him 3 kms into the first special stage after starting one minute behind him. THOSE WERE THE DAYS! LET'S ORGANISE A RALLY FOR FIATS ONLY, SHALL WE? I'LL TAKE PART. Sigh! Well, coming back to your Triumph, I used to see this car parked in your compound for many years. Further, I wonder what happened to Nazir Hoosein's green Triumph (MHY something), the one in which he, "Chubi" (Mohinder) Lalwani (Renuka Kripalani's father) and the late, very senior and very respected Suresh Naik won the Teheran to Dacca rally. Folklore has it that they had welded a screwdriver in place of the gear lever when it broke. Perhaps Harit Uncle can elaborate.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks