Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2008, 00:24   #1531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Sure I'll try to get pics.
Will these wheels fit for the later model Wyvern featured in that thread ?? In fact when I saw this car, it did strike me that all the brightwork, including handles, hinges, dicky hinges, quarter glasses, dash, and steering need to be taken off. One will never get them here again.
I have a feeling the wheels would be the same on the later mdoel too, as Ive seen such wheels on the green vauxhall owned by Badamikar as well.
But I reckon the owner would be a pretty hard guy to convince! 'bet he'd claim to still love the car and not part with it, et cetera!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Ah. She is possibly BMC regd in that case. Now get cracking on those pics
Btw, isnt BMC a thane regn.? This was told to me by the owner of a dark green select with a similar regn. that I used to see here (around 7-8 years ago!)
I havent seen that car around again.

Last edited by Stanher : 17th August 2008 at 00:31.
Old 17th August 2008, 00:26   #1532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I have a feeling the wheels would be the same on the later mdoel too, as Ive seen such wheels on the green vauxhall owned by Badamikar as well.
Have a closer look, Im positive the wheels are completely different. The PCD is much smaller on the later cars.
Old 17th August 2008, 00:28   #1533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Ah. She is possibly BMC regd in that case. Now get cracking on those pics
Btw, isnt BMC a thane regn.? This was told to me by the owner of a dark green select with a similar regn. that I used to see here (around 7-8 years ago!)
I havent seen that car around again.
Old 17th August 2008, 23:40   #1534
Distinguished - BHPian

Note: 'cant edit my last post as its been more than 20 minutes, hence the back-to-back post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbug View Post
hi
well its interesting how many of us are after this car...i might need to jump in too... i am keen on the steering and the door qtr glass assy's...
is it same car with the coat of black paint or is black car being restored using the yellow one as a doner??
Of course the yellow one and the black one are NOT the same!
Yes the former is a donor car.

Anyways, here are some pics. I saw in an orkut album, of an Innocenti Lambretta 48cc moped (late 50s) and a R.Enfield Prince (150cc) lying with a mechanic here in Hyd., and happen to be for sale(!)
The prince had a Villers engine, which has taken by somebody else. So just the frame remains!
The lambretta is said to be missing parts like the seat, headlight etc., front wheel is stored inside.
Both have no papers.
He's quoting a pretty steep price- 11k for either one!

Should I pick up the moped if I get it for like, 2-3k?? Advice welcome!

Incidentally the innocenti moped was reborn in India around the late 70s as the Laxmi 48cc, and also doubled up as a cycle. Here's an article on a surviving '59 example in chennai:

The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Wheels : Fifty-Fifty
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-moped.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-moped-1.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-moped-2.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-moped-3.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 17th August 2008 at 23:48.
Old 18th August 2008, 06:52   #1535
Ram
Senior - BHPian

World's first motorcycle: 114 years ago

Hi friends:

Wonder if this would interest you. I'm not much of a two-wheeler guy.

This is an 1894 Hildebrand and Wolfmüller motorcycle.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1894hildebrandwolfmllermotorcycle.jpg

Wolfmüller made a name for himself as the manufacturer of the world's first ever mass-produced motorcycle.

After completing his engineering studies, he worked in the Dürrkopp bicycle factory in Bielefeld and at Benz in Mannheim.

Hildebrand, later to be his partner, instigated him to develop a small engine for bicycles.

He tried to develop an aircraft engine for his flight tests, but that didn't work out.

In 1894 with Hildebrand, they founded the "Motor-Fahrrad-Fabrik Hildebrand & Wolfmüller" (means: Hildebrand & Wolfmüller motorcycle factory) in Munich. They registered the name "motorrad" for their new invention and patented it in January 1894!!

They planned to produce 3,000 motorcycles annually.
However, a malfunction in the ignition blocked sales, and the firm was forced to file for bankruptcy in 1895.

When production stopped in 1897, 700 motorcycles had been built.

It had a two-cylinder four-stroke water-cooled 1,488 cc engine that produced 2.5 horsepower at the wheel and could reach 64 km/h. Drive was by connecting rods to the rear wheel.
Until relatively recent times, this was the largest power unit ever fitted to a motorcycle.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1894hwmotorcycleradiator.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1894hwmotorcycleframe.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1894hwmotorcyclefinaldrive.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1894hwmotorcyclerwheel.jpg

I saw this motorcycle in, would you believe it, an aircraft museum: Deutsches Museum Flugwerft Schleißheim.

This was an old second world war Luftwaffe airbase: Flugwerft Oberschleißheim (Oberschleissheim Airfield) in the north of Munich. Around the Battle of Britain, this airbase must have scrambled Messerschmitt Me-109s and Heinkel He-111s.

The airfield and its historic buildings were constructed between 1912 and 1919 by the Königlich-Bayerische Fliegertruppen (Royal Bavarian Flying Corps). Saw an amazing collection of aircraft also at the airfield's historic maintenance hangar!

Ram

postscript: Examples of the "Motorad" also exist in the Deutsches Zweirad-Museum, Germany, the Science Museum in London and the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit, Michigan.
Old 18th August 2008, 10:13   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, here are some pics. I saw in an orkut album, of an Innocenti Lambretta 48cc moped (late 50s) and a R.Enfield Prince (150cc) lying with a mechanic here in Hyd., and happen to be for sale(!)
The prince had a Villers engine, which has taken by somebody else. So just the frame remains!
The lambretta is said to be missing parts like the seat, headlight etc., front wheel is stored inside.
Both have no papers.
He's quoting a pretty steep price- 11k for either one!

Should I pick up the moped if I get it for like, 2-3k?? Advice welcome!

Incidentally the innocenti moped was reborn in India around the late 70s as the Laxmi 48cc, and also doubled up as a cycle. Here's an article on a surviving '59 example in chennai:

The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Wheels : Fifty-Fifty
Hi Stanher:

I was offered these same bikes a month ago. The Villiers engine was picked up by another friend. I was interested in the Innocenti too but apart from other constraints it was also about difficulty in restoring it. If you are getting it for the price u quoted, then it should be worth it. The tyres that size are difficult to get. Check if the carb is available and also if the gears are in order. Papers shouldn't be a problem because it is below 50 cc and it needs no registration (correct me if Im wrong).

Also if you interested in a RE Prince which is 90% stock but with no papers contact Rajiv at rajivkc@gmail.com. It has the original smiths and also the amal carb in it. The paint is almost gone but then it is the original one with PRINCE still visible.

Cheers
Old 18th August 2008, 13:14   #1537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
If you are getting it for the price u quoted, then it should be worth it. The tyres that size are difficult to get. Check if the carb is available and also if the gears are in order. Papers shouldn't be a problem because it is below 50 cc and it needs no registration (correct me if Im wrong).
Thanks for your reply! Sure I'll check the things.
'not sure about not needing a regn. though. Maybe some experts could confirm this? As Ive seen even TVS 50s with registration nos.

Quote:
Also if you interested in a RE Prince which is 90% stock but with no papers contact Rajiv at rajivkc@gmail.com. It has the original smiths and also the amal carb in it. The paint is almost gone but then it is the original one with PRINCE still visible.
Thanks again. Although 'not sure if I'd want to go for one without papers, as in this case it needs a regn. for sure. Is this in Hyd. as well?
Old 18th August 2008, 14:28   #1538
BHPian

bodge brothers

These are pictures a dodge in hyderabad ,year unknown. The car i am told came in from Ooty over 15 years ago in good running condition. The current owner who has had a good no of cars over the years, surprisingly has let this car rust away under a very poorly built shed.

i took this pictures couple of months back,it was for sale for an obscene price then...
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dodge.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dodge-logo.jpg  

Old 18th August 2008, 17:50   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply! Sure I'll check the things.
'not sure about not needing a regn. though. Maybe some experts could confirm this? As Ive seen even TVS 50s with registration nos.

Thanks again. Although 'not sure if I'd want to go for one without papers, as in this case it needs a regn. for sure. Is this in Hyd. as well?
The Mofa and TVS Express did not need them. Im not sure about the category they need to be classified though.

No that Prince is in Bangalore.

Cheers
Old 18th August 2008, 19:24   #1540
Senior - BHPian

Carbug would you be haveing a full length picture of the car. the body style is not clear. it looks to be a late 20's or a early 30's model. is the car still for sale and what was the asking for the car?
Old 18th August 2008, 21:00   #1541
BHPian

i could not get a wider view as i could get the picture only through a small opening in the shed. I will check with the owner if it is still unsold and pm u.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Carbug would you be haveing a full length picture of the car. the body style is not clear. it looks to be a late 20's or a early 30's model. is the car still for sale and what was the asking for the car?
Old 18th August 2008, 22:01   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbug View Post
i could not get a wider view as i could get the picture only through a small opening in the shed. I will check with the owner if it is still unsold and pm u.
oh ok. thank you carbug. also if you could get some more details of the car, it would be appriciated.
Old 20th August 2008, 20:11   #1543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Karl is right. It is a 1946 Mercury. Please see the pic I have attached.
If you compare the pic with your photo,you can see the holes on either side of the bonnet for the side lights, also notice the moustache type of the grill above the bumper.
You folks amaze me with your ability to track down and identify American automobiles. Your conclusion of the Mercury is quite on target. Of equal interest is the pictures of the Dodge. I remember them well, worked in a gasoline service station during the early '50s and saw many of them.
Old 20th August 2008, 20:28   #1544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
@ Anjan: Wow, she looks so beautiful in all her glory. Thanks for the picture. I see the car very regularly, and now will be able to imagine her like this !!
@ Shyam: I did think she was the Wyvern. Notice the signature notches on both sides of the bonnet, to have chrome. these are carried forward to the later models too.
!!
Superselect another Vauxhall Wyvern ferrying freedom fighters with Gen O'Dyer(who ordered the 1919 Jallianwallah Bagh Massacre) during the 1996 Vintage and Classic Car and Bike Rally at Nagpur.Heroes (freedom fighters) and the Villian seated in the same car.they won the Best Dressed Period Costume and also were the Rally Winner!
Have a Hearty laugh dudes Picture Source: The Hitavada, Nagpur
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-untitled1.jpg
Old 20th August 2008, 21:07   #1545
Senior - BHPian

Wow Anjan, lovely picture. Wish we had more such "period costumes" at recent vintage rallies.

Most Viewed