Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 19:37   #106
Senior - BHPian

Nice buy karl! Paint her Glossy black, and with shiny chrome, She'll be quite a looker!! And if u can maintain them, lotus white would be terrific for the interior. There's a similarly done up car here. I'll try to post the pics.
Old 7th January 2008, 19:44   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I have seen one Black car with white/cream in the double patti trim. looks fab
Gogi, u talking about something like this?? Looks Fab i must say!

Last edited by JayD : 7th January 2008 at 19:48.
Old 7th January 2008, 19:52   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

And heres the last of the lot.

MHI 3966 was bought new by the director of the National Chemical Laboratories, Pashan in 71. In 85 she went to the second owner, from whom I purchased it last month. He is the neighbour of a friend, and Ive been eyeing the car since 5 years now. She has a dud battery, (and Im broke for a new one ) so Ive rarely used it since, relying only on jumper cables.

The car has been very sparingly used, and is very original, though I can see the previous owner of late was finding Pune's traffic difficult, and as a result you can see the car is...err...crumpled!

Being in Pune all its life, the car has had zero tinwork done in the past, and I dont see any rust at all now as well. It is all original, with only the horn button, fuel guage and some side trims missing. Im looking for some Aluminium side trims badly.

Whenever I repaint later, im retaining the colour. There used to be 3 identical cars in my society that I grew up seeing, and this reminds me so much of those cars.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 7th January 2008 at 19:53.
Old 7th January 2008, 21:25   #109
Senior - BHPian

So Karlji is on a buying spree. Well congrats for the Fiat too buddyji. So your quest to own a 1100D has finally come to a fruitful end. Good car mate. The interior looks quite in good order and those wheel caps are wow. I think im coming to poona to see these new additions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Gogi, u talking about something like this?? Looks Fab i must say!

Yes JayD thats exactly what i meant. Now that i see it i think even painting the whole portion including the roof white, would be a good idea if using the single show trim. Wheels would be white of course with a chrome wheel trim. Man that would look mean.
Old 7th January 2008, 22:10   #110
Senior - BHPian

Ah, good to see the delight atlast!!
Well, much as I'm tired of saying this now, congrats again Karl!
This makes it your 7th car, if I didnt miss out any others??

'hope your able to buy her a good battery soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im looking for some Aluminium side trims badly.
You can have my entire new set IF I can have a stainless steel set as you'd promised!

Oh, and do you have any of those plastic indicator lenses left? I do have one of 2 that you'd once sent me.

Last edited by Stanher : 7th January 2008 at 22:20.
Old 7th January 2008, 22:13   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Well congrats for the Fiat too buddyji. So your quest to own a 1100D has finally come to a fruitful end. Good car mate. The interior looks quite in good order and those wheel caps are wow. I think im coming to poona to see these new additions.

Yes JayD thats exactly what i meant. Now that i see it i think even painting the whole portion including the roof white, would be a good idea if using the single show trim. Wheels would be white of course with a chrome wheel trim. Man that would look mean.
Thanks gogiji, am awaiting your Pune visit. The interior has been redone recently, well stitched, but dirty taxi type velvet cloth that I dont dig. It will nice smelly rexine for me

Any idea where I can source these chrome wheel trims? im not able to find them anymore, 13, 14 or 15inch.

Shyam, im trying not to think how many, it gives me goose bumps and quite frankly scares me!
Old 7th January 2008, 23:11   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shyam, im trying not to think how many, it gives me goose bumps and quite frankly scares me!
Same here.......whenever someone asks me how many cars I own I'm like "I dont really know........stopped counting after the second one!"
Old 31st March 2008, 11:15   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I picked up this virgin 63 Vespa last week, a one owner scooter still in original paint.

The bike also came with the plenty of documentation, including the first Commonweath insurance policy for 22 rupees and 50 naya paise, and the reciept of sale for a princely sum of 2544.79!
Since I'm in the process of digitising my records, here are the bill of sale and insurance reciepts to my scooter. Made the whole deal worthwhile!
(Names blanked, not empty).
Attached Thumbnails
meet the family...-1.jpg  

meet the family...-2.jpg  

meet the family...-3.jpg  

Old 4th May 2008, 12:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

*BUMP* What's the update on your bug karl??
Old 4th May 2008, 12:16   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
*BUMP* What's the update on your bug karl??
Paint was completed some time back. A loaner engine was installed, and the car was driven to Bombay about a week ago. There the wiring, upholstry etc will be completed. The body was welded to the floor, so that has to be undone and rubbers renewed. Fuel tank is to be made, channels, beadings, door locks etc are to be installed. I hid the orginal door locks and handles so carefully I cant seem to find them, so some temporary alteration is being done. After the car is ready, work will begin on the original engine. A crankshaft has been obtained, the original heads and carburettor have been overhauled already. My main worry is still the 2 wheel rims that I am short of. Right now she runs on 2 borrowed ones.
Attached Thumbnails
meet the family...-01.jpg  

meet the family...-03.jpg  

Old 18th June 2008, 19:33   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Ive acquired a couple of bikes last week, one is a 72 Jawa owned by a doctor since the 70s, and the other is a single owner 62 Lambretta.

The Jawa is missing the original violin case seat, headlight nacelle, front mudguard and silencers, Im sourcing out original items. Not run in a year or so, I hope to have it ridable soon. I picked up the bike purely as I chanced upon it at the right time, and always wanted a Jawa. Ideally I would have loved to have one with the key on the tank, but looking at current prices it isnt meant to be apparently.

The Lambretta is a 62 model, an early Series 2 distinguished by the broad mudguard, round horn grille, and innocenti meter. Unfortunately my bike has none of these, but is a solid machine overall, and these bits can be sourced without too much difficulty nowadays. A kindly old gent used it for well over 40 years, he was very proud to say it never gave him any trouble ever. Not even once!

The Vespa in the mean time is almost ready (mechanically) for me to use (just in time for the rains). Im not touching the original paint anytime soon.

More on the latest Fiat later.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 18th June 2008 at 19:35.
Old 18th June 2008, 21:13   #117
BHPian

Looking good Karl, hope you will find required VW parts quickly.
I have sent you an message.
Old 18th June 2008, 23:19   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ive acquired a couple of bikes last week, one is a 72 Jawa owned by a doctor since the 70s, and the other is a single owner 62 Lambretta. The Lambretta is a 62 model, an early Series 2 distinguished by the broad mudguard, round horn grille, and innocenti meter. Unfortunately my bike has none of these, but is a solid machine overall, and these bits can be sourced without too much difficulty nowadays.
Hey congrats Karl!! 'glad you finally decided to pick up the lambretta afterall (as I'd advised! )

You can get the early type mudguard made in delhi for 2600/-

Innocenti meter can also be had for 350/-

Also the various original badges.

May sound a bit pricey but dfeinitely cheaper than getting them from abroad!

'will email you the contact.

So when do we get to see the pics.??
Old 19th June 2008, 17:31   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Ive acquired a couple of bikes last week, one is a 72 Jawa owned by a doctor since the 70s, and the other is a single owner 62 Lambretta.
These Lambrettas are special - I remember vivdly the little rectangular green light on the headlight nacelle as well as the smell of the smoke of the engine oil (that one didn't mind so much those days), as I went for a ride standing on the footboard, in my knickers. What colour is she? And the Jawa? Would this be a 225 cc, unlike the Yezdi's 250cc?

Quote:
The Vespa in the mean time is almost ready (mechanically) for me to use (just in time for the rains). Im not touching the original paint anytime soon.
Hope you're keeping a Parasol handy, just in case opportunity presents itself. Never know when you're riding one of these cute machines!

Quote:
More on the latest Fiat later.
Well, well ... Karl, identified the museum location yet?! Good show, though, that's focus.
Old 19th June 2008, 19:26   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
What colour is she? And the Jawa? Would this be a 225 cc, unlike the Yezdi's 250cc?

Well, well ... Karl, identified the museum location yet?! Good show, though, that's focus.
The Lambretta is currently in a single tone signal red. The scoot has been through 3-4 colour changes over the years, and the owner thinks she was originally fully red as well. Im not too sure on that, perhaps he is mistaken as I doubt that was offered. My intention is to paint her in a period red and ivory combo. The Jawa is black, and the RC book states original colour as black as well, states capacity as 2.5cc, I leave that to you to interpret. Unfortunately the original books of the Lambretta were destroyed one monsoon.

Regarding the museum, a certain someone on the forum (hope he is reading this) offered to donate a spot of land in Khandala for the project. Being an architect himself, all the better. Whether he was joking or not, Im not taking no for an answer now
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks