Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I also have the 1100D aluminium grille (like the one that 1100D has in his car in Kolkata). I'll put them on in my 1994 car MH01N5507 when I restore it to give it that classic look.
Ohhh......I badly need one at the moment for my 1100D....:(
Anyways, I'm sure I can find one more fish in the spare-parts ocean someday!
Old 4th August 2007, 13:11   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Heres the 1960 Fiat 1100 103, commonly known as the Select in the Indian market (beats me why, theres no mention of the name anywhere, not even in the books, ads and manuals).

Maj. Jamshed Jimmy Daruvala got this car in July of 63, from his brother in law who was using it in Delhi (old number DLF 2468. I quite like it, am thinking of reverting to it). Hes always had a second car right from 83, which he changes every 3-4 years. As a result, the Fiat was very sparingly used, mainly just to potter about town on weekends for groceries and the like. The good Major has been my grandmothers neighbour for 35 years now, so I did know him a little bit. One Sunday morning I saw him fiddling with the carb of the Fiat, meticulously cleaning the jets with a wire, and I went over to him for a chat, asking him if he wanted any help. We got talking about the car, and he told me he wanted to dispose of it, and whether I would be interested. I was only too happy, though I had no place to park it. "Oh, you can leave it right here in my Garage. Im not using it". Now this was getting tempting, considering he lives 100 meters from me. Great. "How much would you want for it, Uncle?" He had this puzzled look on his face, and thrust the keys in my hand and said "Dont be silly. She's yours". By the time I recovered, and pleaded with him to take a token amount, he said "Go make a donation to a charity of your choice." Sigh, where do we see such people today?

The car was looking rather shabby back then. Hardly used, engine oil last changed in 84 (!), and with his old age, had taken a fair amount of knocks and scratches on the paint, last done in the 70s. Trims were missing, indicators broken, wheels changed to later type, but the body was fairly clean (doesnt look so in the pics).

Note dented bumers, terrible tin work done, missing trims, petrol cap and the like.

The car had covered around 60,000 genuine docmented miles, and I dug up all the old log books, documenting all work done over the years. The engine is very healthy, needing practically no major work. I did however change the distributor and coil from the Magnetti Marelli system to Lucas, as points arent available for the first. Have managed to get an orginal working unit though, only for shows. Also bought a mint Delloroto carb for the car, and a friend has a brand new repair kit as well, so im safe using it. Note the ventilation duct on the bottom right corner of the pic below. Very rare to see it intact and functional, though I have to fashion a pipe connecting it to the dash.

First on the agenda was all oils changed, new plugs, points, condensor, tune up, and new engine mountings. Gearbox bushings were changed too, and got new liners, new brake pipes etc. My drums are on their last legs, but im hanging on till I find another set of finned aluminium Italian drums.

Also, for novelty puposes I put on wheels and hubcaps from a 55 Fiat, with lesser ventilation. I will revert to the originals once the car is restored. Also sourced an orignal petrol cap, near impossible to find. Its such a beatiful system, when locked, the cap spins non stop on bearings. When opened, the inside of the cap clings onto the pipe, and the threading is actuated, and the cap opens.

Next up, I got minor denting and paint touch ups done, mainly on the door bottoms and below. Also found a new set of side trims, and indicators, though those are yet to be fitted. Have recently also procured the original grille. Got a good set of bumpers as well. All these will go on later when I do major work on the car.

The interiors are original, though the front seat is in very bad shape. The rear Dunlopillo seat is mint, never having been sat in. (No kiddies to mess it up). The door panels are stained, though have always been wrapped in protective plastic, so Im trying to salvage those. Headliner is perfect, am trying to salvage that as well. My steering wheel is badly cracked, have located a good one, plus I fitted this horn ring, along with a pair of period Mitsuba power horns, made in Japan, assisiting the Rootes pair that came with it. The speedo, wiper motor, all switches and lights work perfectly, though the fuel guage has packed up. Have located a good original float, made of cork, for when I get this repaired.

Next on the agenda is a set of new white walls, which Ive located in Bombay, as and when finances permit. Any recomendations for a paint sheme?

Cheers
Old 5th August 2007, 19:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Hey all you Parsi Dikras and others "aspiring to be in queue" for "giveaway old cars" of Parsis Dikras - this is a great idea that you all gave me. I have a nice collection of thin original FIAT 1100 bumpers at home in Mumbai. Let me get them nickel / chromium plated.
Well Mr. D, I sure would like to be counted in the queue for a pair (front/rear) if available......I now feel its worth buying even additional sets while you can as I've seen a number of them being fitted (very shabbily) to the 7-seater autorickshaws that ply in some parts of the city here, among the ones that are fitted at the front with fiat bumpers!
Also forgot to ask you earlier- do you by any chance have any extra bolts (with the nickel/chrome head that fit the rear bumpers to the bodywings at the sides)....my rear bumper is missing one....
I've fortunately managed to find an original 1100D grille with the Fiat badge on it from one of the scrapwalas here the otehr day.....so my car's nearly done looking original.....
Old 12th September 2007, 21:22   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Heres latest pics of the Bug, with exterior paitned, barring mudguards. The whole exterior should have been done by today. Dash is delayed, as I want a couple of holes blocked. Will put up better pics as and when I take them.

Old 12th September 2007, 21:41   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

And heres the latest acquisition (mid August) my Dec 1956 Fiat 1100 103 E elegant.

The car was originally from Hyderabad, and came to Poona in the early 70s. It passed a couple of hands and landed up with a fellow member of the Fiat club in the early 90s. He used the car extensively, he proudly states it has visted every BPL Mobile gallery in Maharashtra, on assignment. But, with 2 other dukkars this car fell out of favour, and languished for around 7 years at his mechanics. The car was comepletely refurbished, but never collected. 7 years of neglect and shoddy previous bodywork meant that the car reached this stage. It looks much worse in the pics, and actually the tin work is only superficial, with no main structural member requiring to be changed, only door bottoms etc, which are usual Fiat spots.

The tyres and battery are brand new, and the car started up without much fuss which had me very impressed. I drove it straight home with barely any brakes, as the fluid had leaked out. As we speak, shes getting a full mechanical overhaul.

The car is missing plenty of original fittings, but still retains the characteristic front grille, bumpers, side trim and aluminium drums with circumferential fins which are near impossible to find today. The interiors are much worse, with a Padmini meter and wheel. Practically all original fittings to the car have been sourced, including ultra rare wheel rims, hubcaps, petrol cap, meter, steering wheel etc.

Still havent decided on what colour to paint, though thats later, as and when finances permit. Ill have some fun running around town leaving it the way it looks.
Suggestions are welcome.

Old 12th September 2007, 21:47   #51
Team-BHP Support

Karl I am speechless exactly how I was when you showed me the dukkar and started it. I envy you my friend. Wish I was a mad mad bawa like you!
Old 12th September 2007, 21:55   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I envy you my friend. Wish I was a mad mad bawa like you!
Simple. Get an old Fiat, you're half way there. Yell profanities to everyone who leans on it, your closer still. Top up the radiator with Evian, and you're there!
Old 12th September 2007, 21:56   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Simple. Get an old Fiat, you're half way there. Yell profanities to everyone who leans on it, your closer still. Top up the radiator with Evian, and you're there!
Damn the two smiley rule.
Old 12th September 2007, 22:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

hey karl those were great stories of your beuties. man i was so engrosed reading that i did not want them to end. dude you should have been a writer. nice to see the beetle comming up well and everything going according to plan. looking forward to more family history of the cars.
Old 12th September 2007, 22:15   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
looking forward to more family history of the cars.
And Im looking forward to more cars in the family
Old 12th September 2007, 22:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

Lucky Bawa!! I was as amused as i was amazed to see the dukkar ebing mechanically done up at Poona, a few days ago. Well done Karl. For the colour choices for both your cars, just visit my thread on my Fiat 1100D restoration. Theres a whole lot of information and input from Bhpians including yourself.
Old 12th September 2007, 22:34   #57
BHPian

lucky you karloooooooos,you always find such deals man
Old 12th September 2007, 22:37   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
For the colour choices for both your cars, just visit my thread on my Fiat 1100D restoration. Theres a whole lot of information and input from Bhpians including yourself.
For the last time stop calling it a Fiat 1100D . Its a very special car, so call it just that! the Fiat 1100 Special.

Ill get this car done in a single colour, not two tone, as they never came like that. The car looks great in black, but there are too many out there. It also looks great in Natina blue, but the president's already in that colour. Besides, I want to avoid any shade of blue as my other Fiats will be blue as well, and I want some variation.
Old 12th September 2007, 23:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

i think the 1100 would look good in a single colour. nice choice of colour it would make the car look bigger. two tone and a dark colour would not look nice on the car karl.
Old 12th September 2007, 23:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
For the last time stop calling it a Fiat 1100D . Its a very special car, so call it just that! the Fiat 1100 Special.

What else can i say. This was the name given to the thread when i started it without Fiat knowledge. I vow to henceforth not use degrading names or wrong alaises for the otherwise lovelyFIAT SPECIAL
Just for the record, she goes for a paint coat the day after tomorrow..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks