Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 13:54   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111

In their thirties, Dad & Mom used to own a special car - The Merc W111. They'd brought her home in '77 and have a lot of memories associated with the ride.

Earlier this week, my folks revisited that part of their life. It was a surprise

A Heartfelt Thank You to Mr. Goenka for his generosity in letting us ride in his W111 fintail. For those 45 minutes or so, it was Dad reliving a special time of his life. My Parents couldn't stop talking about all their W111 drives, including a Mahabaleshwar trip where the MMB 38 pictures (below) were shot. Needless to say, this experience made his month....if not the year. Also thanks to Karlosdeville for all the help.

As is evident from the pics, this 230 S is in immaculate shape. Hard to believe that she's nearly 50 years old. It looks tight, and the soft suspension soaked in Marine Drive's irregularities without complaint. Special mention to the comfy sofa seats too. Since the car was acquired, it hasn't required a coat of paint! The motor started on the first crank every time. Under the hook is an M180 engine with 120 horses on tap. Dad says his W111 was super durable (unlike the unreliable rubbish that the Germans build today) and it never left him stranded. On the lonely Indian highways of the seventies, they made several highway trips and the W111 just purred along smoothly. The one challenge was sourcing parts though. Even stuff like wiper blades & suspension components were carried by an uncle based in Germany. Dad does regret getting rid of the W111; says he never knew his son would become such a petrol-head. If MMB 38 were around today, she'd have been restored to its fullest glory.

That's me on the hood of our MMB 38:
Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-1.jpg

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-2.jpg

Dad with his old flame:
Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-3.jpg

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-4.jpg

Smiles galore
Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-5.jpg

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-dsc09383.jpg

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-dsc09388.jpg

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-dsc09402.jpg

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-dsc09403.jpg

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-dsc09427.jpg

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-dsc09441.jpg

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-dsc09460.jpg

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-dsc09467.jpg

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-dsc09469.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2013 at 17:52.
GTO is offline   (109) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111

Your 220 S was at shivaji park wasnt it? I still remember that my dad and our mechanic kept mentioning about, literally making a roll call of mercs that were there in shivaji park at one time. We had a 200 too, i think it went in 1978 .

What year was your car sold?
the mole is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:14   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Your 220 S was at shivaji park wasnt it?
Yep . Small world indeed! Would be great if you could share any stories from the mechanic. I'll relay them back to Dad.

Quote:
What year was your car sold?
I think it was 1985ish.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yep . Small world indeed! Would be great if you could share any stories from the mechanic. I'll relay them back to Dad.

I think it was 1985ish.
I remember that once upon a time all mercs in bombay came to shivaji park for work including shammi kapoor, shashi kapoor amongst others all of them were repaired by mr shettty his garage was next to the current coffee day around the park. He was very eccentric and the famous lined up to get their cars especially mercs done from him. His assistant was ravi, still around looks after my ponton.

At that point there were were a couple of mercs in the area ours was a white 200 in road no 3( where we lived) then there was the wagle's blue ponton in their building next to coffee day. Dr dalvi had a amzing 115 which he had got feom germany.The owners of sanman also owned a black fin type and finally your apparently amazingly spanking 220S.

These topics do get touched upon when Ravi visits my office ocassionally. There were so many rare and amazing cars in the lanes of shivaji park at one time unfortunately all gone today. I think only my ponton remains. I would be happy to show it to your dad if he ever wants to see it. Cheers and thanks for bringing up fond memories.
the mole is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

@GTO

May I ask where is the Star. I can only see the ring.

Nice I am also restoring one of similar Era 190D

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2013 at 16:33. Reason: Typo
Old 4th October 2013, 14:41   #6
BHPian

Totally agree with you GTO, the Fintail has a charm of its own

This reminds me of the Fintail in Blore which was lying in a owners garage for 20 years and which was bought back to life & repaired by our very own expert, Pavan Kadam ! It felt so nice to hear that 4 cylinder petrol gently purring away

Btw, have you tried to track down MMB 38 ? You could still acquire her and restore her back to her old glory !
nirmaljusdoit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:42   #7
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

What a nice gesture GTO, brings a smile to my face. As you said this must have made your Dad's month. The happy old memories is what life is all about.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 15:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Look at those seats. Looks like Mercedes went to a furniture store, bought a couple of comfy sofas and bolted them on to the chassis.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 16:38   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
mr shettty
Confirmed with Dad, indeed it was Shetty who was looking after MMB 38!

In its last visit there, the W111 remained with Shetty for a long time. If Dad's memory serves him right (he's unsure), some "bearings" needed replacement and Dad was too tied up with work to spend time on importing parts from abroad.

Quote:
At that point there were were a couple of mercs in the area ours was a white 200 in road no 3( where we lived) then there was the wagle's blue ponton in their building next to coffee day. Dr dalvi had a amzing 115 which he had got feom germany.The owners of sanman also owned a black fin type and finally your apparently amazingly spanking 220S.
Dad remembers some of these

Quote:
I would be happy to show it to your dad if he ever wants to see it.
I might just take you up on that offer, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
May I ask where is the Star. I can only see the ring.
I'm sure it's coming soon. From what I hear, as good as the condition of this car is, it's going in for a full restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Btw, have you tried to track down MMB 38 ?
Doubt she even exists today. Was standing in the garage for a long time before a scrap guy picked her up.

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2013 at 16:39.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 17:27   #10
BHPian

Your dad's smile in one of the pics made me smile and I bet many others will smile too.
The smile speaks of all the memories he has with his old flame.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 17:40   #11
Team-BHP Support

Good stuff.

Looks like you guys did a time travel back to the ‘80s and the good memories were being cherished. The upholstery indeed looks uber comfy - look at that chunky arm-rest at the rear seat! And that retro analog clock in the dash (although it may be an aftermarket fitment). Your dad’s expression on this photo is priceless I must add. May be you should just frame it IMO.

Anyways, you are very fortunate GTO. I have no clue where our previous cars (the SS80 based M800 which my parents bought before I was born and the M800 that followed immediately) ended up - if the second-hand owner still has it or did he sell it to someone else or did it finally meet its fate at the scrap dealer’s hands. I think I should ask my parents about it. They may have some details after all.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 17:42   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hard to believe that she is nearly 50 years old. It looks tight,..
Mama the Mia!!! This is real beauty!

Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111-profile.jpg

Is it possible to get her out one more day? You for what I mean..
Rudra Sen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 18:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Old memories are precious & to be able to relive them is priceless
apologies for sounding like the MC blurb

What I like best though is the snap of Baby GTO under and on the Bonnet at the same time

Hi " the mole", by any chance would that be Fiat wala Ravi, ex Peddar road now Shivaji park Mr. Bean Nene.
Quote:
These topics do get touched upon when Ravi visits my office ocassionally.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 18:01   #14
BHPian

Did I read this correctly the car in the pic has a 50year old paint job and still looks gleaming today. Priceless pics.

Is that's a left hand drive car your pictured sitting on

Last edited by abishek2222 : 4th October 2013 at 18:04.
Old 4th October 2013, 21:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Earlier this week, my folks revisited that part of their life. It was a surprise

As is evident from the pics, this 230 S is in immaculate shape. Hard to believe that she's nearly 50 years old. It looks tight, and the soft suspension soaked in Marine Drive's irregularities without complaint. Special mention to the comfy sofa seats too.
I'm sure you really made a very special day for them. And you guys were lucky to get a top of the line 230S, that is in the best Mercedes collections around. Its all original, having been in long term ownership - I particularly love the MB-tex interiors - loud, but still classy.

Quote:
Dad with his old flame:
Attachment 1147819
That's a memorable shot!
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks