Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2012, 11:31   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

The Cartier press conference was covered in Newspapers, did anyone notice the absence of any numbers of vintage and classic car enthusiasts? Only a very few selected were there

Here are some more reviews, check:

http://knowtheworldfacts.wordpress.c...ing-to-mumbai/

and

http://www.gqindia.com/content/previ...l%C3%A9gance#1

Suggest you also check

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/beyond...ce-2012-a.html

and try to find a comparison. Poetic license or fooling the public?

Cheers harit
Old 5th December 2012, 13:38   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The Cartier press conference was covered in Newspapers, did anyone notice the absence of any numbers of vintage and classic car enthusiasts? Only a very few selected were there
Hi Harit as you know i dropped by at the event I really don't think this was a event for enthusiasts and was purely a press and publicity meet. I dropped by to say hello to a close friend and see his bike in person (at his invitation). i was not stopped from doing so. I did not even throw a second glance at the other cars and bikes displayed as I had already seen them at previous shows. I saw two of the bikes had a cup of tea helped my friends load the bikes onto a truck and left.

I am not sure if every enthusiast needs to be invited for such press events (I personally find this stuff boring) but i certainly feel that passes can be sold to select enthusiasts for the main event just like Pebble beach. On one of the links posted by you (I think GQ) it has been clearly mentioned that invites are available on request on a first come first serve basis. However i would go a step further and have a lottery of Limited passes just as the clubs in Mumbai do when there is an International cricket match.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 11:07   #213
BHPian

Hi Amol. I agree that at a press conference only media should be invited, after all in a sense , it is a business session to promote the event. On the subject of passes however, I feel that they should not be restricted by number. Instead have a high priced ticketed event, after all Cartier is not for everybody. I am sure that tickets priced say at 500 rupees, would generate a lot of foot falls. That way no one needs to beg for invites. Many have asked me how to go about getting invited to see the cars. My response has been consistent, ask Cartier. Speaking for myself, I have never asked to be invited to any show. If I am invited, or can buy an entrance ticket, subject to my interest in the event, I attend. To ask to be invited is really demeaning and not the way I live my life.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 13:48   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi Harit as you know i dropped by at the event I really don't think this was a event for enthusiasts and was purely a press and publicity meet. I dropped by to say hello to a close friend and see his bike in person (at his invitation).

I am not sure if every enthusiast needs to be invited for such press events
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Hi Amol. I agree that at a press conference only media should be invited, after all in a sense , it is a business session to promote the event.
I would completely agree with you on this point - a press conference is held very clearly with a single agenda, to introduce a particular message to press for publicity - either print, electronic, television or otherwise. In my line of work too it is always in this fashion. Having recieved an invitation from the event agency to attend as press (Team BHP), I attended with a press pass. I was not invited as an enthusiast/entrant.

Quote:
Speaking for myself, I have never asked to be invited to any show. If I am invited, or can buy an entrance ticket, subject to my interest in the event, I attend. To ask to be invited is really demeaning and not the way I live my life.
Perhaps I'm being naive, but is it really to be viewed this way? Of course there are invitations passed around to potential clients, celebrities, VIPs and so on. If an enthusiast wants to attend, ask for it. I'm sure they would oblige. For the last event I simply wrote in as a keen enthusiast, requesting for an entry pass, and I promptly received one. I love seeing vintage and classic cars, I heard there was an event, I asked to attend. I don't see that as demeaning. But as I said before (and have been learning of late), perhaps I am being too naive...

Tickets for purchase is a great idea no doubt. Further on I would love to see the cars on display for all to see on one evening, obviously well cordoned off. Even a small controlled drive through key parts of town?
Old 6th December 2012, 14:43   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Perhaps I'm being naive, but is it really to be viewed this way? Of course there are invitations passed around to potential clients, celebrities, VIPs and so on. If an enthusiast wants to attend, ask for it. I'm sure they would oblige. For the last event I simply wrote in as a keen enthusiast, requesting for an entry pass, and I promptly received one. I love seeing vintage and classic cars, I heard there was an event, I asked to attend. I don't see that as demeaning. But as I said before (and have been learning of late), perhaps I am being too naive...

Tickets for purchase is a great idea no doubt. Further on I would love to see the cars on display for all to see on one evening, obviously well cordoned off. Even a small controlled drive through key parts of town?
Karl, different people have different ways of looking at things. That does not mean that I am right and you are wrong, or vice- versa. This remains my view. I will not, and never have , asked to be invited, anywhere. A drive, similar to pebble beach is simply not possible . Why? Because pebble beach is a car event, whereas Cartiers is more of a life style event, mechanicals often taking a back seat. In both the earlier events, a large number of cars were not fit mechanically. they were pushed into position and pushed onto trucks after the event to be sent home. Others could barely move. Very few cars shown in my opinion, could have performed as they were supposed to. Having said that, there were some cars which were in very good mechanical shape, but those were the exceptions. If they had a run say from the Taj, bandra, to Nariman point, the potential breakdown numbers would be embarassing, to say the least.
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 15:25   #216
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Since this is a Cartier promotional event I doubt if ever tickets will be sold. I too have written in with a request for an invite, let's hope they oblige. I can relate to how Bulldogji feels but he forgets he is in a different league and hardly someone an event organiser would opt to ignore
Old 6th December 2012, 18:08   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Since this is a Cartier promotional event I doubt if ever tickets will be sold. I too have written in with a request for an invite, let's hope they oblige. I can relate to how Bulldogji feels but he forgets he is in a different league and hardly someone an event organiser would opt to ignore
Perhaps they should sell tickets and donate the proceeds to a worthy charity / cause. Cartier would stand to gain some kudos for corporate citizenship!
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 18:50   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Agreed, Tweety is very busy these days.

Lots of confirmations have been received including the cut top Bikaner Buick, the 34 Caddy and 39 Buick Limo from Titus, a Ford A wagon from Delhi, a Rolls Nd MG A from Kolkata.

Yash's Rolls will not be there, apparently some doubt abou "one" having actually sat in it but his Minerva and MG A are in.

The Indian is the superb 1912 bike from Mr. Nath
Wasif, In my knowledge there is only one MGA in India and that is the one owned by the Kanoira Family. Yash i believe has a MG TC on the other hand which is the black one which came for the formula one in Delhi.
Old 9th December 2012, 22:49   #219
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
there is only one MGA in India and that is the one owned by the Kanoira Family
There's a lovely red MGA in Chennai
Old 10th December 2012, 09:42   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Wasif, In my knowledge there is only one MGA in India and that is the one owned by the Kanoira Family. Yash i believe has a MG TC on the other hand which is the black one which came for the formula one in Delhi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
There's a lovely red MGA in Chennai

Here is the news article on Chennai MGA -

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2006/11/15/s...1500700300.htm

Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)-2006111500700301.jpg
manishalive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 13:40   #221
BHPian

I had in my earlier posts requested those who had received invitations to share the news with us. Some forum members responded, many did not. A few days ago I received an invite for our 1954 Dodge sedan.
Old 31st December 2012, 17:12   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had in my earlier posts requested those who had received invitations to share the news with us. Some forum members responded, many did not. A few days ago I received an invite for our 1954 Dodge sedan.
Thats cool, can we see how it looks ??? Pictures ?

And where is your Tweety these days , there is no more info coming in
Old 31st December 2012, 17:27   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you have so many better potential price winning cars, they asked for a 4-door sedan? What do you make of that.

There is a site called barnfinds.com, in one post their comment on a 4-door sedan "Four door sedans are boring. They were built to be functional and in the process lost the good looks of their two-door brethren"
How true Coupes of similar period are refused in November, 4-door sedans are invited in December. One can guess whats going on.

Cheers Harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 17:51   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to hear that, though I do hope you will bring the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
When you have so many better potential price winning cars, they asked for a 4-door sedan? What do you make of that.

Coupes of similar period are refused in November, 4-door sedans are invited in December. One can guess whats going on.
I assume that a '54 Dodge sedan would be Indian assembled, and entering the Indian category? There is a nice 55 Kingsway entering in that class.
Old 31st December 2012, 19:34   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
................I assume that a '54 Dodge sedan would be Indian assembled, and entering the Indian category? There is a nice 55 Kingsway entering in that class.
Well, you assume wrong Its assembled in Canada, which makes the selection all the more political. For Indian section they could have chosen one of his Ambys or Fiats, but that section is taken. True, the nice 55Kingsway has been entered, no further comments otherwise buddies will get me

As far as appreciation and choice for body styles goes, convertibles/phaetons/tourers/roadsters/dickyseaters are first followed by Limousines including landaulettes, coupes, 2-door sedans, pick-ups/station wagons and lastly 4-door sedans.

May all have a blast tonight!

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 31st December 2012 at 19:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks