Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2013, 18:32   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Faster789's collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Was the snap of P1 BMW 9319 ( can experts identify the chassis number ) taken at Simla House , Mumbai ?
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Superb as always, though if you can add some information on 9319 I would be grateful.
Phantom I 35-FH. Was in Holland (2006); painted Red and Black

Attached are pictures as she appeared in the Flying Lady.

Interesting to note "Ambassador of Bombay". "Br" is not an aspiring priest, but "British"!

Faster789's collection-bombay-governor-brabourne-rr-pi-35fh-side-r-flying-lady.jpg

Faster789's collection-bombay-governor-brabourne-rr-pi-35fh-bmw9319.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 25th July 2013 at 18:38.
travancore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 19:09   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Phantom I 35-FH. Was in Holland (2006);
Hi Travancore, can you put up the whole article, or send it to me?
The background of the 1st photo is Bombay University.
That confirms the car. Govenor, Batlibuoy, Jungleewalla/Cawas, Malaysia/ Singapore.
I have some photos which I could share with the current owner
Julian was the one who first informed that this car went to Malaysia or Singapore in the 1960's. One of my photos suggests that she was here later than 1964. Probably upto 1969 or so.

Cheers harit
Old 25th July 2013, 19:45   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

That confirms the car. Govenor, Batlibuoy, Jungleewalla/Cawas, Malaysia/ Singapore.
Julian was the one who first informed that this car went to Malaysia or Singapore in the 1960's. One of my photos suggests that she was here later than 1964. Probably upto 1969 or so.

Cheers harit
Why don't you put those snaps also it will be great for all of us

Thanks
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 21:01   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
I do not have anything more! Will see if I can find the FL / RREC magazine somewhere.

Last edited by travancore : 25th July 2013 at 21:05.
Old 9th August 2013, 14:39   #245
BHPian

The end of this BBC article demonstrates how a sensible approach can be taken to "bans" and the protection of important vehicles within a country

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23574665

"The government has placed an export bar on the Birkin Bentley until 31 October in the hope someone in the UK can raise the £5,149,800 paid for it at auction.

That period can be extended to May 2014 if there is a realistic chance of the money being found.
"

This is what the original pioneers of the movement in India wanted to achieve. A system that did not affect an owner's right to use and dispose of their own property whilst still allowing possible preservation. Of course, the Govt did it's usual trick of taking a good idea and legislating it to death and we now have the current mess. I still recall the sheer disappointment that surrounded how it all actually turned out, given what the original thought was.

Cars should be preserved and the motor "heritage" should stay in India as far as possible, but the text in Italics clearly demonstrates a good and balanced approach.

Before some scholar turns up and starts criticising my post for whatever reason, I would add that it's obviously not perfect but it's a damned sight better than the status quo.

A change from my usual on this thread, but I thought to offer some information and a possible point of discussion.
Faster789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 12:30   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

In today morning's drive an Austin appeared that hasn't been seen in a while. A much older picture appeared earlier in this thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post3251533 (The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai))

Faster789's collection-0001.jpg

If I remember right, this car was owned by a Parsi lady, of Brooland's (?) garage on Hughes road. A sister car was a Mercedes 170V Tourer, now in Bangalore.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 12:50   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In today morning's drive an Austin appeared that hasn't been seen in a while. A much older picture appeared earlier in this thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post3251533 (The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)) If I remember right, this car was owned by a Parsi lady, of Brooland's (?) garage on Hughes road. A sister car was a Mercedes 170V Tourer, now in Bangalore.
Who are these gentleman and which event is this ? Anybody can share some info

Cheers
Old 29th September 2013, 13:39   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Who are these gentleman and which event is this ? Anybody can share some info

Cheers
The picture, clothes and names of sponsors suggest a rally held in the early seventies.

Why not ask they who drove with you all this morning?

if formers owners are around, maybe the picture, shown to them, would jog their memory?

Nice Austin, somehow looks better in the older picture
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 19:07   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In today morning's drive an Austin appeared that hasn't been seen in a while. A much older picture appeared earlier in this thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post3251533 (The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai))

Attachment 1145073

If I remember right, this car was owned by a Parsi lady, of Brooland's (?) garage on Hughes road. A sister car was a Mercedes 170V Tourer, now in Bangalore.
The car was driven down by Kaizad. I think he plans to restore it for his client so she will probably go back to her glory days.
Old 6th January 2014, 18:36   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
I recently received an email from someone asking for a small update. I haven't really felt like doing this in a long time, but I thought to make an effort. I remembered a wonderful sequence I have not seen in 25 years and managed to find it. ...........
Quote:
Hello Faster, good to see you back with a lovely post. A few comments though:

Thanks for making the effort. Hopefully more will follow.

The car is a 1919 Cadillac, ......Cheers harit
I received over the weekend one photo of this sequence where the car is still on the truck. Photo taken at an angle, but a part of the registration is visible and confirms that its the same car on the same truck and at the same place. Lovely.
On the back it is mentioned that the car is a 1921 Caddy, so a small correction here.
Faster, if you see this, can you confirm whose handwriting this is?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-caddy-1921.jpg  

harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 11:48   #251
BHPian

Quote:
I received over the weekend one photo of this sequence where the car is still on the truck. Photo taken at an angle, but a part of the registration is visible and confirms that its the same car on the same truck and at the same place. Lovely.
On the back it is mentioned that the car is a 1921 Caddy, so a small correction here.
Faster, if you see this, can you confirm whose handwriting this is?

Cheers harit
Hello Harit and a happy new year to you all.

I am afraid that my limited knowledge only extends to a few cars and their owners. I have no idea what anyone's handwriting would look like, certainly not after such long periods of time. Almost everyone used to write on the reverse of photographs back then. I certainly do where it is not obvious, but that is not my hand.
Old 7th January 2014, 15:01   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Hello Harit .......... but that is not my hand.
Hi Faster, here is the photo. I edited it a bit, cut out the truck and the loaders (or unloaders). The number plate is the same.
I was hoping that you can show this hand writing in your circle, hoping that some one recognizes the handwriting to be that of maybe someone like Roni Khan. I feel that this car moved in his times, maybe he was even around when the car was received.
And if anyone recognizes that lovely bungalow in the background.
Where is that car now? Still in India?
I am wondering (with questions) a lot in this post, this photo is a valuable piece of histoy.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Faster789's collection-cadd.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 7th January 2014 at 15:03.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 12:50   #253
BHPian

Quote:
I was hoping that you can show this hand writing in your circle, hoping that some one recognizes the handwriting...
Hi Harit, I'm afraid my "circle" is just me and I am at a loss this time. I'm completely out of the car scene here and have been for a long time. Your confidence in me is kind but to be fair, asking me to identify handwriting decades old is probably beyond me in almost any circumstance!
Old 10th April 2014, 15:19   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier in this thread we saw this image of a pretty Morris Six roadster.

Faster789's collection-faster.jpg

I recently came across an old ad for Castrol featuring the SS100 and what has to be the same car now sporting a Bombay registration. We even see the same Castrol stickers pasted on the side

Faster789's collection-castrol.jpg

Where is it now? I know of 2 surviving in Bombay, one is USJ registered, in green, and the other is red, registration unknown to me, but was featured in an old Autocar India article on Me and my car.
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 17:12   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
................ I recently came across an old ad for Castrol featuring the SS100 and what has to be the same car now sporting a Bombay registration. We even see the same Castrol .............Where is it now? I know of 2 surviving in Bombay, one is USJ registered, in green, and the other is red, registration unknown to me, but was featured in an old Autocar India article on Me and my car.
I just love this thread, my favorite as it deals with older stuff in the Bombay vintage scene which many seem to have forgotten, and other came later by which time its history to be uncovered and unravelled. So about MRG 3332. First of all, the "Me" should be Shobha De. This Morris 10/6 belonged to a Mr. Kapadia of Protos Engineering. Out of the blue this car suddenly appeared on E.Moses Road, it red then also. Unfortunately for me, Protab Roy also saw here. Anyway, we went to RTO, got the details, went to Protos, the Bengali gent working there gave it to Mr. Roy. Sadly he expired shorlty thereafter, the car was either sold or whatever and landed up in a garage outside Sasoon Dock. Lost quite a few parts. From there it was picked up by Mr. De and give to Swadi's for fixing. They also had a white coloured Ford V-8 tourer of 1936 or so lying there for fixing. Where that is now I don't know. Due to some reason the Morris was never used properly, either mechanical issues ot just laziness. Anyway, later the car was sold along with their blue Fintail and both cars went to south, probably Bangalore. The guy who bought her is/was on t-bhp.
This was a car I would have liked to have when she came out fresh.

Cheers harit

P.S. thats a nice Castrol ad, superb discovery. The story of the SS 100 all know already.
harit is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks