Team-BHP
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

2000 Hyundai Santro : The neglected warhorse...

kanuj’s Team-BHP Garage
2000 Hyundai Santro : The neglected warhorse...
Engine Specifications:
  • Hyundai Elipson Engine, In-line 4-cylinder 12-Valve SOHC
  • 999 cc
Engine Misc.:
  • Power 55 bhp @ 5500 rpm
  • Torque 8.4 kgm @ 2500 rpm
Turbocharger & Induction:
  • N/A
Fuel & Tuning:
  • Petrol
  • Retrofit CNG kit
Exhaust:
  • Stock
Drivetrain:
  • Manual - 5 forward (all syncromesh), 1 reverse
Weight reduction & transfer:
  • Stock
Suspension, wheels & tires:
  • Front MacPherson Strut with Stabilizer Bar
  • Rear Torsion beam Axle, 3 - link Offset coil springs, Hydraulic Dampers
  • Pads/Lifters at rear for the CNG cylinder
Interior:
  • JVC HU with Pioneer speakers in the front
Exterior:
  • N/A
The great workhorse built by Hyundai... was thoroughly neglected by me, but even to the last day I had it, this car never, and I mean ever gave up on me. I've seen new Swifts being swallowed by the Noida road floods, but this car just kept going, going and going till it got me home. So long buddy, you WILL be missed... and I really wish I'd taken better care of you :(
The busted rear light is just an example of how much I stopped caring for this car. I think the booking of the new car might have been the culprit there

Click Thumbnail to Enlarge. Full Size Image Pages
Apparent are the paint chips on the hood where the car *ahem* caught on fire! She might not have been the prettiest horse on the ranch, but she could take a hit, and on good days, hit one back! This machine wasn't built for speed or for comfort, it was built to get you from pt. A to pt. B no matter how many flooded roads it had to straddle through The busted rear light is just an example of how much I stopped caring for this car. I think the booking of the new car might have been the culprit there this was the best car I ever rode in, ever drove, and the most trustworthy machine I've ever had! Too bad Hyundai doesn't make them like this anymore...
Gallery Statistics
Member: kanuj
Created: 25th November 2010 22:55
Last Modified: 26th November 2010 12:27
Views: 1214
Comments: 5

Comments
Author Comment Date
kanuj @BB311, I do believe Hyundai's planning to bring the Santro back, however I highly doubt it'll be anywhere close to this version. 29th November 2016
BB311 Yours was a std version of this car. I had the DX-ii version (power steering one) and believe me, It was with my dad and than with me, for 2.78 Lakh KM. From 1999 - > 2013. I miss it. 18th October 2016
kanuj Request to mods.. please delete the below comments by me. I've opened a separate thread with the ownership details. 26th November 2010
kanuj ~20Rs/kg at that time, it didn't pinch my pocket that much. We got the CNG tuned from JMB Autogas in Indirapuram a few months later, and the FE grew to about 14 in the city, 100% AC. Put in spacers/lifters under the rear suspension for the CNG cylinder and the car wouldn't droop as much either. After about 3 years of solid abuse from lcoal garages and mechanics, I finally decided to take her to a Hyundai service station. Did some research on the TBHP board, and NCR folks recommended to take her to Capital Hyundai, Sector 2, Noida. 26th November 2010
kanuj Bought this car used, in 2007 from a used car salesman who my dad knew. The odo read about 70k clicks at the time (I was in for a surprise about 3 years later when I took it to the Hyundai service center.. more on that later). Did duty for my dad and our family from 2007 on, and was repaired in local garages, with local spare parts. I took the beast from my dad's hands when I sold my M800 in 2009, and it already was the most fun car to drive, ever. Roomier than the M800, powerful AC, and a 5th gear! WOW! I felt like a teenager getting a new car on his birthday. It might've been built like a tank and take the rough roads better than an SUV, it still gave an FE of about 10 with the AC on. So, at the end of 2009 we decided to get a CNG kit retrofitted. Three months on, the decision to get the CNG kit was already paying dividends... I used to leave the car on idle with the AC running on traffic lights and even when I had to go to the local store. The FE remained the same, but since CNG was 26th November 2010