Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:06   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I have a December 2018 Vento 1.5 TDI with 13,500 kms on the odo & stock Goodyear 185/60 15 tyres on OEM alloys.

I am surprised that the rolling diameter difference has not seriously been discussed here & the resultant effect on engine rpm & speedometer/odo error.

185/60 15 = 60% of 185 = 111.00 mm effective dynamic radius

195/60 15 = 60% of 195 = 117.00 mm effective dynamic radius

205/55 15 = 55% of 205 = 112.75 mm effective dynamic radius
Yes this is an issue I've noticed after upgrading from 185/60R15 to 195/60R15. Although 2% extra diameter is generally accepted, it caused a very noticeable shift in gear ratios.

All the gears have become taller and there is noticeable reduction in torque because of the larger diameter of wheels. The ride quality improved thanks to the extra sidewall cushioning along with slight increase in ground clearance ( which is good in bad roads but again causes a bit more body roll)

I suggest you to change to 205/55R15 if you value performance and handling. Very little tire choices though but atleast you get the Continental MC5
Turbohead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:28   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Yes this is an issue I've noticed after upgrading from 185/60R15 to 195/60R15. Although 2% extra diameter is generally accepted, it caused a very noticeable shift in gear ratios.

All the gears have become taller and there is noticeable reduction in torque because of the larger diameter of wheels. The ride quality improved thanks to the extra sidewall cushioning along with slight increase in ground clearance ( which is good in bad roads but again causes a bit more body roll)

I suggest you to change to 205/55R15 if you value performance and handling. Very little tire choices though but atleast you get the Continental MC5
Sorry, my post was incomplete. I sent half of it by mistake while typing, then went to edit & exceeded the time limit.

The complete post is below:

I have a December 2018 Vento 1.5 TDI with 13,500 kms on the odo & stock Goodyear 185/60 15 tyres on OEM alloys.

I am surprised that the rolling diameter difference has not seriously been discussed here & the resultant effect on engine rpm & speedometer/odo error.

1) 185/60 15 = 60% of 185 = 111.00 mm effective dynamic radius

2) 195/60 15 = 60% of 195 = 117.00 mm effective dynamic radius

3) 205/55 15 = 55% of 205 = 112.75 mm effective dynamic radius

Circumferences in inches (rounded off to nearest whole number) in the above 3 cases would be:

c1 (stock) = 27 inches
c2 (195/60) = 29 inches
c3 (205/55) = 28 inches

The 205/55 upgrade will therefore be closer in maintaining stock rpm at a given road speed & the odo error will be less.

The following will be the odo error with the 2 upgrade sizes:

For 195/60: At a speedo reading of 100 kmph, the actual speed will be 102 kmph

For 205/55: At a speedo reading of 100 kmph, the actual speed will be 101 kmph. Thus a lower speedo/odo error compared to 195/60.

Considering that those here who have upgraded to 205/55 15 have never faced any issue of tyres scraping wheel wells & have notice a considerable improvement in grip, handling & comfort has not been compromised, wouldn't 205/55 15 be a better upgrade size?

I would appreciate it if those interested in this topic can share their thoughts on this since I would like to replace the OEM Goodyears very soon.

Thanks & regards,

Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 18:46   #618
Sen
BHPian

Planning to get Yokohama S.Drives in 195/55/R16 (stock size) for my incoming vento.

Ashoka Wheels (auth. dealer for Yokohama here in Hyderabad) offered a buyback price of 4200/- per tyre, while the S.Drives retail for around 7100/- per tyre.

Is the buyback price fine? Will have driven for less than 20 km overall from the time I take delivery to the time I get to the tyre shop.

Any S.Drive owners want to vouch for the wet grip of the tyres?
Old 18th November 2020, 21:22   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
Planning to get Yokohama S.Drives in 195/55/R16 (stock size) for my incoming vento.

Ashoka Wheels (auth. dealer for Yokohama here in Hyderabad) offered a buyback price of 4200/- per tyre, while the S.Drives retail for around 7100/- per tyre.

Is the buyback price fine? Will have driven for less than 20 km overall from the time I take delivery to the time I get to the tyre shop.

Any S.Drive owners want to vouch for the wet grip of the tyres?
Any specific reason you want to go with the S Drives?

Didn't know S drives are still on offer. That tire was designed atleast a decade ago.

Today's tires offer a package of performance, comfort and noise control far better than 10 years ago! I would suggest you to try Continental MC5 which may not be as sharp a performer as the S Drives but will give you a far more balanced gain especially comfort and silence.

If you want a more rugged tire, do consider the MRF Perfinza too. Done 10k kms with it and it's a blast. Holds on like a leech. Exceptional aquaplaning resistance. I doubt if it's available in 195/55/R16

Michelin Primacy 4 is almost impossible to source thanks to the tire ban!
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 00:07   #620
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
Any specific reason you want to go with the S Drives?

Today's tires offer a package of performance, comfort and noise control far better than 10 years ago! I would suggest you to try Continental MC5 which may not be as sharp a performer as the S Drives but will give you a far more balanced gain especially comfort and silence.
Sure, this is on my list now, I definitely heard of em', but was looking for a mix of performance and road noise reduction, leaning towards the former for sure. But since the car'll be new..might take you up on this suggestion!

Quote:
If you want a more rugged tire, do consider the MRF Perfinza too. Done 10k kms with it and it's a blast. Holds on like a leech. Exceptional aquaplaning resistance. I doubt if it's available in 195/55/R16
Yeah, not available in 195/55/R16. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote:
Michelin Primacy 4 is almost impossible to source thanks to the tire ban!
Annoying decision by the government, but nothing we can do about it. An authorized dealer estimated about 1-2 months before the Michelin situation is resolved, so it's out.
Old 8th January 2021, 20:34   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
The 205/55 upgrade will therefore be closer in maintaining stock rpm at a given road speed & the odo error will be less.
I know this reply might be late. That's absolutely right - I have been using 205/55/R15 Conti MC5s for the past 1 lakh kms on my Vento and they have performed beautifully. Superbly grippy at high speeds and very confidence inspiring.

On a different note, I am looking to replace my OEM 15" alloys with some neat aftermarket 16 inchers. Can anybody recommend comfort oriented tyres available in the 205/50 R16 size? I am unable to find Contis MC5/UC6 for this size due to stock shortages and dealers are suggesting to upsize to 205/55 R16. This adds a centimetre of ground clearance and I am not sure how my riding experience will be.

- Will the increased GC of 1cm affect handling at high speeds?
- Has anybody installed this size on their Vento/Polo?
- If yes, any wheel well issues?

Last edited by nileshch : 8th January 2021 at 20:38.
nileshch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 21:29   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I know this reply might be late. That's absolutely right - I have been using 205/55/R15 Conti MC5s for the past 1 lakh kms on my Vento and they have performed beautifully. Superbly grippy at high speeds and very confidence inspiring.

On a different note, I am looking to replace my OEM 15" alloys with some neat aftermarket 16 inchers. Can anybody recommend comfort oriented tyres available in the 205/50 R16 size? I am unable to find Contis MC5/UC6 for this size due to stock shortages and dealers are suggesting to upsize to 205/55 R16. This adds a centimetre of ground clearance and I am not sure how my riding experience will be.

- Will the increased GC of 1cm affect handling at high speeds?
- Has anybody installed this size on their Vento/Polo?
- If yes, any wheel well issues?
I am using Hankook Ventus V2 of size 205/50/R16, i have had no issues with the tire, though I definitely think that road noise is a bit higher on these. Option that you can also look at is Michelin PS4, I did not buy them as i plan to switch car by end of this year and new tires were needed only for 2 years, so did not want to invest lot of money.

you can check pic of the tire here. (My modified VW Vento TSI - From Brownie to Mark 13)
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 22:07   #623
Senior - BHPian

I got Yokohama Earth tyres on my Vento. Feels good and its noticeable compared to my previous Bridgestone AR20.
Heard there is shortage in supply for various brands. Luckily one of the shops had them in stock.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 08:33   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I am using Hankook Ventus V2 of size 205/50/R16, i have had no issues with the tire, though I definitely think that road noise is a bit higher on these. Option that you can also look at is Michelin PS4, I did not buy them as i plan to switch car by end of this year and new tires were needed only for 2 years, so did not want to invest lot of money.
Thanks for sharing. Michelin PS4 is out of stock for many sizes due to the import ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I got Yokohama Earth tyres on my Vento.
Yes, Yoko Earth-1 is available though it looks like it is also going quickly out of stock. Blue Earth is hard to get though!

Here are my options currently based on my calls with dealers nearby and available stocks:

- Conti UC6 205/55/16
- Conti UC6 195/55/16
- Yoko Earth-1 205/50/16
- Yoko Earth-1 195/55/16
- Yoko Blue Earth 205/55/16

My preference is 205/50/16 - still waiting to see if there are more options.

Last edited by nileshch : 9th January 2021 at 08:34. Reason: updates
Old 19th January 2021, 15:25   #625
BHPian

Upgraded to Continental UC6 195/60/R15 from stock Apollo's.

Have a 2013 Vento 1.6 petrol highline AT; with the speedo at 58116Kms and last 2 Apollos were close to finished with very little grip.

Before the lockdown had to replace front two tyres in emergency and the shop had basically sold the driver old 2017 stock JK UX Royale 175/65 R15... basically downgraded the tyres with their spare stock. And since the driver had to get it done in a jiffy, no invoice was given as well.

Thankfully the car has not run much during the lockdown apart from weekly grocery runs. Now that I got a chance, I tried to source the Michelin P4 ST, but with no luck on getting them, took a chance with Conti's UC6 as it has good reviews so far.

Have a trip to Pune coming up this weekend and will be able to add a little more about the experience. But so far the tyre seems far more silent.
Old 26th June 2021, 20:50   #626
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Recently discovered that 2 of my 15" alloy wheels on my 2013 Vento TDI have bends in them and need to be replaced.

Does anyone know where can I get my hands on a pair of them in Chennai. Either used or new.

Attaching a picture of the alloy style for reference.

Please let me know if available and details.

thanks in advance. ����
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20210626110057_gallery.jpg  

Old 28th July 2021, 19:46   #627

Hey guys,

My Vento is due for the tyre change. I plan on sticking to the stock size and have no intentions of upsizing.

I was looking for the available tyres and have narrowed it down to two in 185/60/15 stock size
Continental UC6
Michelin XM2+
I am looking for dry and wet grip, less braking distance and better handling.

It would be great if you guys can help me choose one. I'll be getting them changed this weekend.
Old 14th August 2021, 22:11   #628

I just changed my 2017 Vento TDI tyres and remained on the stock specs, but went on with the Continental CC6.
The stock Apollos weren't doing any justice to the car and didn't last beyond 41k.
Was doing some research with multiple options:
Upgrading to 205/55 R15 or 195/60 R15.
Took some suggestions and feedback from the Service Center guys. They were suggesting to remain on the stock for optimum performance of the car.
Then the options were narrowed down to Continental CC5, Yokohama BluEarth AE51 and off course Michelin XM2+.
My Car was already up for the service and was in the service center, the Service advisor was pushing for CC5 as they were having the stock.
I inquired with multiple tyre show rooms on the above options and after thorough inquiries and some bargains, got the good prices and discount from the Service Center on the CC5s and instructed the advisor to go ahead with the tyre change.
But when I came to pick my car, to my surprise, they had put up the CC6s.
I was little disappointed as I was looking forward to the 84H instead of 84T. CC6s are 84T, same as the stock Apollos.
This was due to the sheer ignorance of the Service Advisor, and I told him to hold on to the tyres before I complete my researches.

I found out that the CC6s were the direct replacement to the CC5s. And there were few feedbacks on those, as the make was still new. I asked the service advisor to connect with the Continental Tyre product manager from Chennai and he promptly connected with him.
The manager assured me with the quality and he claimed that though CC6s were 84Ts,but the high speed performance and stability are on par with CC5s and even better.
So I chose to take a chance and asked the service advisor if he can still order 195/60 R15 UC6 while I do a test drive with the tyres (he obliged, as it was his mistake to have committed the CC5s instead).
I did the test drives and to my surprise, those CC6s were amazing.
The road noises suddenly evaporated and the cabin felt very calm. Steering felt very lighter.
The tyres were holding the road beautifully within the city limits and handled the potholes beautifully.
The car falt freed up and it was definitely a good feeling. I was comparing my experiences from the Yokohama Earth1 switch from my previous car. The feelings were comparable
I returned from the test drive and confirmed to those tyres.
The service advisor offered some goodies from his side as well. Like the interior foam wash and car clean up packs. I also encashed my Rs. 1000 off coupon from my 2 year service pack.
Overall I felt that was a good deal.
So, I had to pay Rs.18,400 for the 4 tyres.
It was done in Whitefield Volkswagen Service center and the Name of the Service Advisor was Naveen.

I did a weekend drive for around 60Km and could see the fuel economy has increased too in city limits. I am anticipating the same for highway drives which I would plan for subsequent weekends.

P.S.: This is my first ever post in Team-BHP.
Links4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 21:15   #629
Senior - BHPian

BHPians, need help ASAP. A few days back, I had posted a thread regarding a bulge on the tyres. Now, got the spare put on and have driven around on it for 3-4 days.

Now, we’re looking to change the fronts atleast. Please recommend the right tyres. Avoiding CEAT, Yokohama & JK Tyre.
Old 2nd September 2021, 23:40   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
BHPians, need help ASAP. A few days back, I had posted a thread regarding a bulge on the tyres. Now, got the spare put on and have driven around on it for 3-4 days.

Now, we’re looking to change the fronts atleast. Please recommend the right tyres. Avoiding CEAT, Yokohama & JK Tyre.
To be honest, I am not 100% sure on what is available in the market and what price considering the Tyre import ban by the Gov.

I personally I am using Michelin P3STs and have been very happy with them. I have used Yokohama AVS DBs and have been very happy with them as well.

Heard good reviews for Bridgestone MY02s and Continental CPC2 as well.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks