Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2020, 14:50   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ABTorquey View Post
Hello Everyone,

My Polo has done almost 40k on its stock tyres which was a boring J&K Electra. I am looking to upsize the tyres to 195. Currently it is running on 185/60/R15 so an upgrade to 195/60/R15. Currently I am looking at Apollo Alnac or Yokohama Earth 1. Which one would be the one to go with? Also I was thinking of upsizing to 65. Can anyone explain the downside of this if any.

Thanks
May I know what's the engine in the car?Also can you list out your demands from a pair of tires?
Old 20th December 2020, 14:36   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I know one thing: the short drive home was 1000% different to the drive out. It was like driving a brand-new luxury car. Road noise seemed to have disappeared. In its place came a new smoothness. Even the heavily-potholed and damaged road to my house was no longer tooth-jarring.
I doubt that I've done 100km yet, but no complaints about the Continental UC6. They are certainly smooth and and relatively quite, and easy on the potholes. Perhaps I push the car a little when, for instance, joining traffic on a main road. This means accelerating while turning. The grip seems absolutely firm: not a squeak! And I could get the occasional squeak out of the Michelins.

I feel as safe and as comfortable as I can be... without getting a bigger car!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 17:48   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
May I know what's the engine in the car?Also can you list out your demands from a pair of tires?
Mine is a Polo diesel 1.5. There are no specific demands to be frank. Tyres are almost done so looking for a reasonable upgrade. Moving to 195 is mainly because of better looks and also improved handling. My main orientation is on comfort rather than performance.
#ABTorquey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 17:54   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a Polo diesel 1.5. There are no specific demands to be frank. Tyres are almost done so looking for a reasonable upgrade. Moving to 195 is mainly because of better looks and also improved handling. My main orientation is on comfort rather than performance.
Apollo Alnac and Yokohama Earth-1 are more or less regular tires and won't create a big difference. I'd suggest you to try out the Continental UC6. The reviews for that in terms of comfort and handling is positive.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 23:32   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... My main orientation is on comfort rather than performance.
You can go back a couple of posts to find out how pleased I am with my Continental UC6. But... one only buys one set of tyres, so I have no clue how they compare with others.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 15:50   #351
BHPian

Them Michelins are still out of stock because of import bans -_-.

I'm looking for a smooth ride and lower noise. Any recommendations? Was planning on swapping the stock tyres next month which are 500~ km done right now.

I think I have a chance at getting Continental MC5 or Yokohama Earth 1. I even saw a poster mention UC6, but have to figure if that tyre is available out here in Navi Mumbai.
Old 8th February 2021, 10:28   #352
BHPian

Had changed my tyres six months back to Pirelli. This was during the lockdown so just went with what was available at the service center. Unfortunately have a sidewall crack on one rear tyre due to an impact. Due Import ban it would be difficult to get the same stock. Do I need to change all four or would it be OK if aye just change one now, and any suggestions on same. Thanks.
Old 15th February 2021, 00:23   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
Do I need to change all four or would it be OK if aye just change one now, and any suggestions on same. Thanks.
I think, changing one would serve the purpose unless you are going to swap remaining three with some other brand/make.

Hello Everyone,

I am also looking for a tyre change in my VW Polo-2013 model. At present, I have Michelin 185/60/r15 since Jan'2014. They have served me well and still, some thread (button as my mechanic called) is there. I was zeroing on Pirelli Cinturato P6 but in Bangalore, I am getting 2019 make. Which is a little too old for my liking. I was also exploring Conti UC6 in 195/60r15. I have been a Michelin fan since 2007 - had them in my previous vehicle (Zen Estilo - 2007 to 2014) and they were awesome there as well.

Any update on the ban? A dealer in Bangalore said that by March-end we can expect some inventory from Michelin.

What would you advise?
Old 17th February 2021, 16:43   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailinder View Post

Hello Everyone,

I am also looking for a tyre change in my VW Polo-2013 model.
=====
Any update on the ban? A dealer in Bangalore said that by March-end we can expect some inventory from Michelin.

What would you advise?
Hello Everyone,

Request if you could suggest something for me.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
Old 17th February 2021, 17:50   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailinder View Post
Hello Everyone,

Request if you could suggest something for me.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
If your tires are worn out, just get the Continental for now. It should do fine. Plus it'll be cheaper than Michelin.

Waiting for Michelin stock is a gamble. Govt policies can play havoc with timelines TBH
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 23:15   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
If your tires are worn out, just get the Continental for now. It should do fine. Plus it'll be cheaper than Michelin.

Waiting for Michelin stock is a gamble. Govt policies can play havoc with timelines TBH
I think you are right. However, I will upload some pictures of my tires to assess them better.

Will check UC6 reviews as well.
Old 27th February 2021, 17:36   #357

I'm currently using 205/50 r16 PS4 ST currently on my 2016 GT Tsi which came in 185/60 R15. Previously I was using Yoko S drives in 205/50 R16. Since my PS4 STs are almost worn out and I cannot source them anymore due to the import ban in effect and there is only Yoko earth 1 and Hankook Ventus me01 in the same size. So my concern is are these tyres good coming for PS4 ST or should I downsize to the current OEM size of 195/55 R16 which has many options like conti uc6?
Gosha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 17:49   #358
BHPian

Has anyone tried a 205/55/r16 size on their Polo? There is a less than +2% variance with the stock size of 195/55/16 size. This also leads to an increase in ground clearance of about 5mm.

On the other hand, a 205/50/16 size is leading to a smaller diameter and a decrease in both side wall (about 10mm) and ground clearance(about 5mm). So, not keen on this size.
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:43   #359

I am currently running on 205/55/16 PS4’s on my 2019 GT TSI, love the grip and comfort but don’t like the added clearance.
Should I upgrade to 205/50/16 or back to 195 once the tyres are worn out.
Any experts please help
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:34   #360

Hello everyone. I have a polo TDI 1.5, came with stock MRFs which I changed at around 25k kms, upgraded to conti mc5 195/60/15. These tires have so far served me extremely well and are good enough for another 5k. So I’ll change them once car completes 60k.

I would have no regrets going for the mc5s again, but a friend of mine who has tire dealership suggested Yokohama bluearth. Price is almost similar. Any inputs on these?

Saw a few threads here and people have nothing but praise for them. I reside in Himachal so most of my running is on twisty roads despite being NH, and I
We do have some not so great roads every here and there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks