Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 20:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911turbo View Post
Wow...Thats one upgrade.., what car is it ??? But, by upsizing that much it will definitely eat up your suspension, no offence here.. The upgrade has resulted in approx 7% difference in overall diameter, maximum upgrade should be limited to 3% of the actual tyre size, otherwise be ready for suspension, axle related problems and this can also cause a brake failure.
Definitely yes when you are running a torquey engine on the puny 165's. Not worth the risk and went in for 14's not satisfied and ended up with the 15 inchers.
BTW I never had any of the risks you mentioned " otherwise be ready for suspension, axle related problems and this can also cause a brake failure " .
Only issue was with the rear wheels scrapping the wheel arches period.

Stay within the right up-size and choose the correct PCD for your alloys you are safe to go.

I quite recently read a thread right here and someone wanted to install 17 inchers on a i20 running on stock 14 inchers. Never saw any harm apart from the harsh ride quality.

Btw we are way OT, lets get back to the FE discussion.

Wider tires creates a larger contact patch, the area of the tire actually touching the road. While this is good for performance, it can create a higher resistance to coasting, in lay mans terms the engine will have to use more power which in-turn consumes more fuel to maintain speed. Bigger tires are even heavier when compared to the stock tires.

Alloys is a complete story by itself coz most of the alloys we get in India are almost the same weight of stock steel rims or even heavier.
Old 17th July 2010, 11:55   #17
BHPian

I think You can calibrate the digital odometer with following reference.

How to Calibrate a Digital Speedometer | DoItYourself.com

Ensure you take expert guidance before you proceed.

Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks