Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 01:17   #1
BHPian

WD40 to inflate a tyre

One of my friend is into serious offroading. He mentioned to me today that he use WD40 to inflate his tyres. I didnt believe him at all. So i searched it in youtube when i came across few videos where people are using WD40(CRC) or silicon spray to inflate their tyres. I am a oil surveyor and i work in sea 6 months in an year and i use WD40 every single day since it prevents the metal equipment from seawater and cleans the connectors of the equipment. I was just wondering is it really a good idea to even practise this idea. I mean the moment WD40 is extensively sprayed into tyre and burnt ,the way it spreads up is catastrophically bad. It can outburst the tyre. Does anyone have their special viewpoints which they would like to share.By the way i am posting the link as well for the video.
Old 21st January 2010, 02:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a party trick to me.

I'm no scientist, but isn't it the propellant that is burning, rather than the WD40. Butane is used as a propellant in many aerosols, isn't it?

Just ideas... I have no idea!
Old 21st January 2010, 09:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

WD40 has many uses.
I use it to keep pigeons out of my enclosed balconies.

But it can burn like crazy. What I found on the internet is that this method is used in really cold places to heat up giant sized tires.

I don't think its a good idea for most normal weather condition with our regular sized tires.
Old 21st January 2010, 09:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

many other uses of WD40 (More than 2000)

Refer to attached file which is a compilation of all the uses of WD40. Can't believe it can be used in more than 2000 ways.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wd-40_uses.pdf (240.0 KB, 1032 views)
Old 21st January 2010, 09:49   #5
jav
BHPian

Mostly it is the propellant butane which burns causing air around it to expand and fill up the tire when the tire looses air due to extreme cold, dont know whether its a good idea or if it has any negative effect on the tire

Last edited by jav : 21st January 2010 at 10:04.
Old 21st January 2010, 12:04   #6
BHPian

I mean this is something i would love to learn how to do,But at the same time would be scared how to do.
Old 21st January 2010, 12:25   #7
BHPian

saw this on top gear a decade ago, they had used lighter fluid to re-inflate the tyre after deflating it when the truck was stuck.
Old 25th January 2010, 06:55   #8

Hey guys,
Where can one buy WD-40 and other supplies likes throttle body cleaner etc in Chennai? thx
Old 25th January 2010, 09:17   #9
BHPian

In Bangalore, I buy WD40 at a place on commercial street, called Tools & Trades opposite Eastern Stores. Ask for Mr. Murthy. I call him the Tool Man of India. His placed is filled with the best of all kind of Tools. Just amazing. I feel like a kid in a toy store whenever I go there. If a tool is not available he will get it made after you tell him what you want to do with it or even advise you on the right tool for the job. He also carries a lot of car polish and other stuff too like micro towels.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
One of my friend is into serious offroading. He mentioned to me today that he use WD40 to inflate his tyres. I didnt believe him at all. So i searched it in Youtube when i came across few videos where people are using WD40(CRC) or silicon spray to inflate their tyres. I am a oil surveyor and i work in sea 6 months in an year and i use WD40 every single day since it prevents the metal equipment from seawater and cleans the connectors of the equipment. I was just wondering is it really a good idea to even practise this idea. I mean the moment WD40 is extensively sprayed into tyre and burnt ,the way it spreads up is catastrophically bad. It can outburst the tyre. Does anyone have their special viewpoints which they would like to share.By the way i am posting the link as well for the video.
YouTube - How To Inflate A Tyre
Hi,

Could you pls advise what type of Oil survey you undertake OR are you an ex-marine engineer??

Rgds.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
WD40 has many uses.
I use it to keep pigeons out of my enclosed balconies.
I'm interested in this idea.... can you please share some more details...

Sending you a PM regarding that...
Old 25th January 2010, 12:19   #12
BHPian

I am using WD40 600 times a day for last 2 years. I know the pros and cons. I will never use it.
Old 25th January 2010, 13:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

WD40 in Chennai...

I got mine in Parry's. I don't know the street name, but it was one of the shops that sells electrical stuff. Not too far from the main road where, if you cross, you are near Beach Station.

It's probably available in some of the tool and engineering shops too. I just saw it in the window as I drove past.

(yes, I have driven in and around the lanes in Parry's. It's an experience, but not one one wants to have too often!)
Old 25th January 2010, 13:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
WD40 in Chennai...

I got mine in Parry's. I don't know the street name, but it was one of the shops that sells electrical stuff. Not too far from the main road where, if you cross, you are near Beach Station.

It's probably available in some of the tool and engineering shops too. I just saw it in the window as I drove past.

(yes, I have driven in and around the lanes in Parry's. It's an experience, but not one one wants to have too often!)
Even if WD40 is not availaible one can go for Silicon Spray,And By the Way WD40 is better known as CRC spray in US. Havent really checked in india.
Old 3rd February 2010, 07:42   #15

Thx Guys for info on W40 in Chennai.

I am here in the US. My parents have a Santro (got in 2006) in Chennai. When I go on vacation, I want to do minor maintenance stuff.

Question:
Where (in Chennai) can one get Throttle body clearer spray? (fuel injector cleaner etc too).

Also, my dad tell me that Hyundai dealers will not sell parts alone?So if I just want to replace the air filter.. am I out of luck?

Also, there is an amazing product called Seafoam, any chance this might be available in India?

Amazon.com: MOTOR TREATMENT MULTI-USE -- 16 OZ.: Automotive

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks