Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 23:48   #541

Re: Michelin Energy XM1+ & Bridgestone Turanza ER-60....The Best Allrounders?

Goodyear GT3 (195 60 15) on my Optra Magnum petrol have done about 36500 kms and now need to be replaced. Lot of road noise and punctures lately.

Based on the what I read on the forum, shortlisted Turanza ER60.

I called Pal tyres and International Tyre to check availability and prices.

BS Turanza ER 60 currently not available at either.
Have been indicated the following for the available tyres (if I recall correctly):
Goodyear GT 3 - 4700
Yoko A drives - 4900
Continental CPC2 - 5100
BS Potenza RE 88 - 5300
and XM1+ not available

Which tyres would the members recommend, also could comment on RE 88 and CPC2 in comparison to A drives? Thanks.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:00   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal View Post
Goodyear GT3 (195 60 15) on my Optra Magnum petrol have done about 36500 kms and now need to be replaced. Lot of road noise and punctures lately.

Have been indicated the following for the available tyres (if I recall correctly):
Goodyear GT 3 - 4700
Yoko A drives - 4900
Continental CPC2 - 5100
BS Potenza RE 88 - 5300
and XM1+ not available

Which tyres would the members recommend, also could comment on RE 88 and CPC2 in comparison to A drives? Thanks.
If you don't ride on particularly bad roads, then Michelins will be a decent set of wheels for your car. Pretty silent they are, and will good grip and very comfortable. But since they are softer than say a Bridgestone, I will not recommend them for off-roading or bad roads. The XM1+ are discontinued by now, replaced by XM2 which is good. The BS Turanza ER60 is a very good tyre again; probably slightly tougher than Michelin rubbers. If your roads are good, go for any of the two.
I don't have much experience of the others, but I am sure, other people will pour in their suggestion about other rubbers too.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 22:07   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal View Post

Goodyear GT 3 - 4700
Yoko A drives - 4900
Continental CPC2 - 5100
BS Potenza RE 88 - 5300
and XM1+ not available

RE88 is not very good. Noisy and not very grippy. Not very comfortable either.

GT3: Stay away.

You should only consider The A Drives, CPC2, Michelin Primacy LC, Bridgestone AR-20 or MY02.

Read up on these tyres on the forum and decide.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 01:24   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
RE88 is not very good. Noisy and not very grippy. Not very comfortable either.

GT3: Stay away.

You should only consider The A Drives, CPC2, Michelin Primacy LC, Bridgestone AR-20 or MY02.

Read up on these tyres on the forum and decide.
Nikhil, any reviews of the AR-20 ?
Old 17th August 2013, 12:07   #545
Senior - BHPian

Just thought of sharing this here. My First Set of Appollo Accelere lasted for just under 30K on my Figo. This was the tyre that had run the least in my whole experience. Earlier tyres Bridgestones [on our Fiat Uno] and Goodyear GT3 [Ford Fusion OEM]used to last around 38-42 K km.

The XM1+ on my Figo has done close to 60K now and seems good to do another 5k or so.
Old 23rd August 2013, 17:27   #546

Currently AR-20 doesn't seem to be available with any of the dealers I have spoken to. I have decided to go for the AR-10 which is available and getting a good deal for it.
Decided for AR-10 over MY-02 for ease of rotation and cost. Though MY-02 is a better tyre. This time staying away from Michelin (because of cost) and Yokos (arguable soft side walls).
Would post the installation and running experience.
Old 26th August 2013, 23:50   #547
BHPian

I completed around 31000 kms on my Getz with the Turanza ER-60s. Still going strong with ample tread left and these are my choice of tyres for their superb grip in the rains which is so confidence inspiring and ample steering feedback. The only damper is the cars soft setup, but these would have been even more awesome if the car had a flatter ride. Of late haven't had any punctures & thanks to our great Mumbai roads they keep taking hits all the time. Still zero sidewall damage or abrasions whatsoever! Just brilliant. I would want to give the Michelins or Yokos a shot but for the moment, these are just fine. The slightly harder compound augurs well for our bad roads which is why they would still be recommended first.

Last edited by coolmel : 26th August 2013 at 23:51.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 15:11   #548
BHPian

My Qualis is due for a tyre change now. Its been 4 years since my last change (3rd) and am disappointed that my current XM1 has lasted only for 30K KMs. I am seeing serious shredding on my front 2 tyres and sidewall bulge on one left rear. The rear right had 3 punctures today. The tread is still good, but the tyres seem to be disintegrating (silica?). It is usually 90% Chennai city roads and maybe once a year we make a trip of about 800Km-1000km or so.

I am being told my options are XM2, RE88 and Apollo Acelere. I was also offered Pirelli. I am on 195/70/14. I can run a few more months, no hurry, but may make the switch sometime soon.

My history was my stock tyres ran for 46K, Michelin XM I think was first change, lasted about 40-42K, and the next Michelin XM1 I think has now lasted for 30K. My current ODO is at 118K.

Any recommendations?
Also the car is 13.5 years old now and should I do some suspension work before the switch? I have changed the steering column last year and also the Tie Rods have been changed. Is there anything else that can improve the life of the tyre? I intend keeping the qualis for the long term, so I dont mind spending on the spares.

Last edited by diyguy : 29th December 2013 at 15:13. Reason: .
Old 31st December 2013, 12:25   #549
BHPian

Infer from this forum that Turanza ER60 is now an old design. What is the replacement/newer version for it from the Bridgestone stable?
Old 31st December 2013, 19:29   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Infer from this forum that Turanza ER60 is now an old design. What is the replacement/newer version for it from the Bridgestone stable?
Many ER60 sizes have been replaced by Bridgestone with AR20.
Old 5th January 2014, 15:26   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My Qualis is due for a tyre change now. Its been 4 years since my last change (3rd) and am disappointed that my current XM1 has lasted only for 30K KMs. I am seeing serious shredding on my front 2 tyres and sidewall bulge on one left rear. The rear right had 3 punctures today. The tread is still good, but the tyres seem to be disintegrating (silica?). It is usually 90% Chennai city roads and maybe once a year we make a trip of about 800Km-1000km or so.

I am being told my options are XM2, RE88 and Apollo Acelere. I was also offered Pirelli. I am on 195/70/14. I can run a few more months, no hurry, but may make the switch sometime soon.

My history was my stock tyres ran for 46K, Michelin XM I think was first change, lasted about 40-42K, and the next Michelin XM1 I think has now lasted for 30K. My current ODO is at 118K.

Any recommendations?
Also the car is 13.5 years old now and should I do some suspension work before the switch? I have changed the steering column last year and also the Tie Rods have been changed. Is there anything else that can improve the life of the tyre? I intend keeping the qualis for the long term, so I dont mind spending on the spares.
First get the alignment checked to make sure the suspension is in good shape. Trust only a good mechanic or your authroised Toyota centre (assuming it's a trustworthy centre).

Once you have brought your Qualis' suspension back to perfect condition, then get the set of new tyres. Go for whatever fits your budget and your requirement.
Old 14th January 2014, 11:16   #552
BHPian

Dear Nikhilb2008 I'm going to get a complete stripped down restoration of my car in time for it's 15 year fitness certificate test which is in september 2014. The car due to my lack of understanding of car at an earlier point became shod with nylon cross ply tyres from factory radials. Yeah I didn't understand a single thing back then but when I did I didn't have the funds to do the tyre change. Now it has been close to 7 years the car is running on the nylon tyres and I do hate them like anything. Hence my query is should I keep it on the nylon tyres till restoration or should I change the tyres to radial even before restoration and even if I do I'd like to go with Bridgestone Turanza AR 20 which is available in the size I want for my car. Bearing in mind that I intend to do a Leh trip in 2015 should I mount them on alloys or steel rims. Wish to get an expert opinion from you. Also what suspension components should be checked for damage due to this extensive usage on nylon tyres. Kindly enlighten poor bhpians like us about that too please.
Old 14th January 2014, 12:05   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
Dear Nikhilb2008 I'm going to get a complete stripped down restoration of my car in time for it's 15 year fitness certificate test which is in september 2014. The car due to my lack of understanding of car at an earlier point became shod with nylon cross ply tyres from factory radials. Yeah I didn't understand a single thing back then but when I did I didn't have the funds to do the tyre change. Now it has been close to 7 years the car is running on the nylon tyres and I do hate them like anything. Hence my query is should I keep it on the nylon tyres till restoration or should I change the tyres to radial even before restoration and even if I do I'd like to go with Bridgestone Turanza AR 20 which is available in the size I want for my car. Bearing in mind that I intend to do a Leh trip in 2015 should I mount them on alloys or steel rims. Wish to get an expert opinion from you. Also what suspension components should be checked for damage due to this extensive usage on nylon tyres. Kindly enlighten poor bhpians like us about that too please.
Changing the tyres now and then going for restoration would be a bad idea, since the rubber would be in its best shape only for 3-4 years from its date of manufacture. If you change it now, I assume you will not be using those tyres for most of its first year since your car would start the restoration process in the next few months.

BTW, you didn't mention which car you own!
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:12   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
My suggestion is that you shift to alloys and tubeless tyres. Tubeless means radial tyres only.

I would suggest you change the tyres after the restoration of the car. Otherwise you are just buying new tyres for the car to sit in the garage.
Old 17th July 2014, 16:56   #555
BHPian

I have a few questions for tyre experts:

Our i10 complete 6 years this month, and though it has driven only 36k kms, I remember reading somewhere that tires should be changed every six years as the compound becomes hard and unsafe with age irrespective of kilometres driven. Is this true?

If it is, what is a good replacement tyre. Priorities are:
- Peace of mind: Don't want any cuts or bulging sidewalls if I accidentally go over a pothole
- Safety (decent wet and dry grip)
- Decent warranty/after sales.

Don't care about kms it can last, as the car isn't driven much anyway.

Cheers,
Su-47

PS: Shouldn't the title of thread change to AR20 and XM2?

Last edited by Su-47 : 17th July 2014 at 16:58. Reason: Corrections, and added PS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks